Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Transporting a Hotrod with a U-Haul Auto Trailer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zooming46, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I would go ahead and lower it. Most travel trailers are built a little high. Dropping a couple inches won’t hurt a thing. That trailer frame is strong. I always build skid plates on the back corners of all my trailers, so that they will just skid when going into a dip. No matter how high your trailer is, you can drag the corners at times. So fix it for that. My skid plates also are designed so that I can back up, even with my corners on the ground. I just spend a few short days reinforcing the rear portion of my new 24 ft enclosed trailer, because it’s LOW! On our trip to Bonneville I drug the back corners a couple of times. I have seen the whole back side of enclosed trailers drug off or heavily damaged due to dragging. I also adde a 3 inch square tubing right behind my rear fenders to protect them in case of a blow out. I designed it to accept a receiver hitch. I can use it for jacking or sliding it side ways with my winch, if I get into a jam. 4B17A13C-C593-478C-80AE-923079B7F45D.jpeg Just my experiences.

PS: this pic was taken before modifications and the current hitch is a little higher, making the trailer level.

Hot Rods Ta Hell and blowby like this.
  2. -Brent-

-Brent-

I LOVE that so many of us take photos of our cars on trailers.

3. I own a car trailer that gets USED like crazy. However, right about a year ago, we took a family trip to Yellowstone for a week, but I had a truck to pick up in Montana. I didn't want to drag my trailer around for a week, so I rented a U Haul on line for a one way trip and picked it up on the way to getting to truck while heading back home. Trailer towed great the entire 400 miles, zero problems even with snow on the passes. It was cheap too...I think $69.99 for 3 days? I would do it again in a heart beat

0938793C-0AF6-43A6-B1E3-B74D43A7208D.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    Tman, ratrodrodder and Boneyard51 like this.
  4. spanners

spanners

Geez, we get stung over here in Australia. I rented a Uhaul early this year. $140 for eight hours, double that for one way. 24 hours is $200, double for one way.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  5. brandyspaw

brandyspaw

I rented a Uhaul trailer to bring a 55 Chevy home many years ago but that was when I had a F-250 Super Duty to tow with. They don't like my current 1/2 ton PU to tow with and I've since used rental trailers I found on Craigslist in my area instead. Some are private individuals but also found a couple of dealers willing to rent a car trailer out. They generally want a high amount for a deposit but you tend to get a lot nicer trailer to rent going this route.

51 mercules and Boneyard51 like this.
  6. Uribe

Uribe

20200705_181843.jpg No problem

Boneyard51 likes this.
  7. 20171115_131922.jpg View attachment 4857366 FWIW, I rented a U-HAUL trailer here in town , dragged it 1100 miles back to Illinois, loaddd up my 36 Chevy pickup and hauled her back home. I was towing with a OT Japanese midsize truck, UHAUL knew what I was using and didn’t bat an eye. Very uneventful trip. Mitch

R A Wrench and Boneyard51 like this.
  8. I try to switch it up, new cars and oldish cars...... I think I used a vw bug for the Stude.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Usually guys get rejected from renting a car trailer or tow dolly by Uhaul because their tow rig isn't rated for what the trailer or dolly can carry.
    A friend who used to rent them out at his shop said that was the most common issue. Guys would show up with a compact pickup wanting to rent a car trailer.
    I saw some lowrider dude hauling a 64 Impala on a U haul behind a suv that was smaller than an Explorer pulled over by the State Patrol after a lowrider show here a couple of years ago. I'd imagine that tail did a pretty good job of wagging the dog.

From their website

Capacity
    • Max load: 5,290 lbs.
    • Gross vehicle weight: 7,500 lbs. max.
    • Empty weight: 2,210 lbs.
    Towing vehicle requirements
    • Must be equipped with a hard top if it is an SUV. U-Haul does not allow any type of sport-utility vehicle not equipped with a hard top to tow U-Haul equipment.
    • Tow vehicle and trailer lighting must be operational at all times, day and night. All U-Haul trailers and towing are wired with a 4-way flat light connector.
    • Must weigh at least 3,500 lbs. (curb weight), and must equal or exceed 80% of the combined weight of the trailer (2,210 lbs.) and the vehicle being towed (up to 5,290 lbs.).
    • Must have a towing system that has a 5,000 lbs. minimum weight-carrying rating
    • Must have 1-7/8" or 2" hitch ball (5,000 lbs. minimum)
    • Must not exceed maximum allowable hitch ball height of 25"
    • Must have external mirrors on both sides
    • Must have fully operational lighting
    • Maximum recommended speed is 55 MPH
    • Load trailers heavier in front.
    • Reduce normal driving speed.
    • Wear a seatbelt.

ratrodrodder and Boneyard51 like this.
  10. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

Had no problems using one to get this old DeSoto home. Using my 1990 F250 club cab I didn't even have to lie and tell them I was hauling a Toyota celica. Lol
    IMG_20200827_140123293_HDR.jpg

11. jmkporsche

jmkporsche

Just hauled a 1941 Chevy Business Coupe 450 miles on a uHaul trailer this weekend. Had to tell them it was a different car since it was absent from their database. We also had to load it backwards because of how it was stored, but it seemed very well balanced over the wheels.

Pulled great up to 60mph with a 1/2 ton truck through some seriously twisty and hilly highways.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  12. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

I've used Uhaul auto trailers at least three times with good luck. Here's a photo of the time I towed "about a 2005 Chevy Camaro", according to Uhaul.

IMG_5733.JPG

Boneyard51 likes this.
  13. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Yep, when I hauled my 65 Ford wagon, it wasn’t in their data base. The u-haul agent never batted an eye, he just kept getting newer until he had a station wagon! My tow vehicle was fine, 4 door Dodge daully diesel. Lol

Bones

14. '38 Ford pickup wasn't on the list of vehicles that could be hauled on it, but strangely enough a '42 Ford pickup was. So Henrietta pretended to be a '42 on a trip from Baltimore to Georgia. No problems.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  15. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

How do they get these lowboy trailer decks low? Do they have drop axles?

16. jmkporsche

jmkporsche

The one we rented was not all that low. Had straight axles and it sat high enough that we had to get creative with jacking up the tongue to load and unload.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Boneyard51 and blowby like this.
  17. I am in the market for a small car trailer, but understand that Uhaul doesn't sell them used, for liability reasons...

18. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Actually, they do sell the auto transport trailers and car dollies. It is the smaller trailers that they do not sell.

https://trucksales.uhaul.com/

Under the Utility Trailer category, I found only one for sate at this time - In the state of Washington.

Good luck

ratrodrodder and warbird1 like this.
  19. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Anybody remember those old U-Haul trailers with the big pipe center chassis member.
    Those trailers were so darn heavy even unloaded, but did tow well.

20. Great...it's in my town....now I may have to go look at it :/

warbird1 and -Brent- like this.
  21. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

I have hauled my '57 Chevy pickup twice (600 and 200 miles) and it weighs around 3100#. Pulled it both times using a U-Haul 15' van and all went smooth going 70-75 mph down the 4 lane.

22. SR100

SR100

That's odd, I found 6 in Washington, one in Alaska and three in Canada. Fortunately for me, all are too far away right now...

23. patterg2003

patterg2003

The 2100 lb trailer and 3000 lbs is reasonable and should be able to be towed by a many half ton trucks with a tow package depending on the drive train, distance and the terrain that you intend to travel. The owners manual or manufacturers fleet towing guides will give the recommended towing weights. I travelled a total of 2400 miles to pick up a 40 Ford. I rented a 20 ft closed trailer for one week for the best price over a daily rate. 2 days there, 2 days back and one day to return the trailer. I went with the closed trailer so the car was not covered with two days worth of bug guts or chance filling it with rain for 2 days as it has no top. The trailer was a vee nose light weight but with the car it was pushing the towing capacity of my 1/2 ton supercrew so my son offered me his Dodge 3/4 ton diesel. The 3/4 ton towed the trailer with ease through some very rough terrain. I put the equalizer hitch off our camper onto the rented trailer which made for a tame comfortable tow. The rental company said that the trailer did not need an equalizer hitch as the trailers tow nice. I know the difference that the equalizer hitch makes so I went that route. On paper it looked like my truck could pull the trailer but the weights were pushing the limits, then factor driving a rugged highway with a lot of steep long runs and frontal drag then it was not worth risking he truck or finding out half way home in the middle of no where that it could not make the grades. It would be interesting to know what the max tow capacity is over the recommended tow capacity by the truck manufacturers. One would think there would be some safety factor. I guess it is look at the weights, add some weight for drag and then look at the tow vehicle with a conservative eye for success. One break down, one tow and the expense of coping with repairs a long way from home would cost more than it would to rent a truck that can do the trip with ease. A case of looking at what it could cost if the trip went sideways versus the cost of saving. There is enough positivity here to encourage you to go for it.

ratrodrodder and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  24. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Hauled my 55 sunliner home from Florida on one then I lost third gear in the trans,loaded it up where I rented it and it done great. Now the newer GMC van I also rented from them to tow it that had one of those new fangled LS engines really did not have the balls to tow that much weight when I went through the hills of Tennesee and Kentucky.

25. Bullit68

Bullit68
    from Verona, PA

I rented them so often, the guy at the rental told me that the Uhaul repair center had one for sale. I went over there and made an offer. They sent the offer to corporate in AZ and they accepted it. Paid them, did all the paperwork there for title, and hauled it away. Hauled all kinds of cars and trucks on it, multiple out of state trips. Used it for a couple years, NEVER had any issues, but then found a solid deck trailer, beaver tail, electric brakes, that needed some work. Sold the Uhaul for more than I paid for it. And never had to put a dime in it the whole time! Fixed up the new trailer, which I still have.

ratrodrodder and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  26. I've used them many times, never had any problems...
    19.jpg
    103.JPG

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  27. M1Lover

M1Lover

I hauled a ‘69 Pontiac Grand Prix on one from Santa Fe to Flagstaff. EZ load, secure tie towns, equipment/ tires in good condition. It pulled straight and easy at 75 mph with my old Dodge Cummins flatbed.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was told the best way to make friends is buy a car trailer!

29. Dusty roads

Dusty roads
    BANNED

No problem hauling one down to AZ and bringing one back.
    AZ Bound 2.JPG

30. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not sure about the speed rating on U Haul trailer tires but when I was experiencing tire failure issues on my 5th wheel trailer I found out that most ST trailer tires are only rated for 55 mph. This was 10 years or so ago so things may have changed but its something to consider when doing 75 on the interstate. JMO.