Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dynaflow transmission

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Colton Bates, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Colton Bates

Colton Bates

Is there any tricks to using a dynaflow transmission that you can eliminate the torque tube and run a regular drive shaft?

2. Look up to see how late the Dynaflow was used. I'm not sure when the torque tube had its last days for Buick.

3. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Late 50s the torque tube went away I believe and the trans was discarded, and the switch pitch 400 took its place, still a slush box just not as bad.... I the the ST400 took its place in early 60s.... thus eliminating a torque tube. You can convert to open driveline, a few companies offer a kit for it, comes with long trailing arms that attach in the x part of the frame by the trans, retains coils in rear etc. You can also trans swap at that point also if you want something more modern etc or a 4 or 5 on the floor. Dynaflow isn't working unless its leaking...

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  4. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Buick had Dynaflows up to 1963, and the last year for torque tube was 1960....so if you want to run an opendrive dynaflow behind your Nailhead you may look for one out of a 61-63 LeSabre, Electra, Invicta, Riviera... The SP and St400 are basically a TH 400 with a nailhead bellhousing, but the SP has an adjustible Converter that keeps the rpm in the torque curve for a longer Time . Feels like more Torque. I'd rather go with a Sp/St400 than a dynaflow, but Dynaflows are good transmission aswell. They are smooth as glass but no performance transmission by any means.. And they tend to leak.

5. Agree that you need a 61-63 Dynaslow, but a 64-66 ST400 or SP400 would be a better trans to use. Buick finally made the switch to open drive in 61, much longer than the other GM divisions.

6. USMC4LIFE

USMC4LIFE
    from Eastern NC

I have a dynaflow out of a 63 if your looking for one.

7. OZCAST

OZCAST

Hot Rods To Hell has a tourqe tube elimination kit that doesn't require a 4 link. I got one for my '50. Dude who makes them knows his stuff!

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  8. Colton Bates

Colton Bates

I maybe looking for one