Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Resurrection Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Roothawg, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Exactly! Or, the old seat? ;)

Okie Pete, Roothawg and loudbang like this.
  2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My 78th B'day yesterday, still enjoying this spectacular 're-Build', lots of practical application of previously accrued knowledge...
    Key here is now: Patience! Don't get that milk crate, hurriedly rig a hand throttle and rely on the E-brake for that 'Road Test'...
    I'm anxious to see the new seat, just have patience, Grasshopper.
    This is a very pretty roadster, nothing 'overdone', the 265 should round it out into about 1900 lbs. of efficient Street Roadster.
    Major kudos...

3. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

Looking good.
    I have the same bell air cleaners. I found the filters were making it run rich on my Flathead. There is also not a lot of side clearance between the base and cover, so I tossed the elements and drilled the base for more air flow. All is well now.

catdad49, loudbang and Roothawg like this.
  4. Roothawg

Roothawg

So, the emergency brake has never had a boot or cover, so the wife decided to whip one out. I didn’t want to throw anything else into the mix for my upholstery guy.
    971367B8-986E-4B84-98A2-503F517F7CF1.jpeg

We ordered a stainless ring off of the old inter web....had to notch the bottom of the ring to clear the e brake.
    2CB78DAC-FC66-44A1-A173-DCF6A014B9D7.jpeg 24D7FC8E-A26D-43F4-86E4-31E7FA0B38EF.jpeg
    Turned out pretty decent.

NoSurf, GordonC, Stogy and 16 others like this.
  5. Roothawg

Roothawg

Today was leak check day. I finished the fuel plumbing and turned in the new Holley pump. It’s maybe twice as loud as the previous pump, but nowhere near a Holley Red/Blue electric pump. It holds a steady 4.5-5 psi.

The center carb float had hung open so we did get a little puddle. I had to tighten a few fittings on the carbs, but it seems like we may have it under control now.

We are getting closer. We just want to make sure that when we get ready for fire in the hole, we don't have any surprises.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  6. Roothawg

Roothawg

Well, today didn’t go as planned.

I primed everything up and tried to bust it off, but it was backfiring through the exhaust. I thought maybe a valve was too tight, so I ran the valves again. No bueno. Finally found this.
    A6F442AA-1384-4D87-87C4-16678578E63C.jpeg
    I guess the cap is starting to deteriorate and allowed the cap to shift. I kept finding little pieces of black plastic in the cap. Didn’t think much about it.

The rotor hits and then swivels, starts cross firing. I have a cap and rotor on order.

I put my interior guy on the spot this afternoon and he finally admitted it wasn’t going to happen by the Roc. I’ll clean up the Produce truck and take it I guess.

7. Roothawg

Roothawg

DAB3A248-17BD-4881-9243-8FAC0BF2FDC3.jpeg
    Got the new rotor. Looks like the old rotor was missing the tab that holds the conductor. I will throw this in tomorrow and see if this solves my problem.

8. Man, stinks about the interior. I'd be tempted to go down, get the seat and put it in covered with a blanket anyhow and roll. Good find on the rotor, though....I'd be hunting forever before I found that I bet. LOL

9. Roothawg

Roothawg

So, I started it and ran it for about 15 minutes. Not real happy with the outcome. I had rocker noise, and the real main is puking now. It leaked before but it seems worse now. I’m in no hurry, so I will take my time and get the valves adjusted to see if that will take care of the noise.

The generator started showering sparks out the rear. I think I need a break.
    7329E9FA-56E9-462C-9DAC-2C411E7E76A4.jpeg

I pushed it out and moved the Produce Truck on to the lift. I fixed the brake lights and greased everything, getting it ready to make the trek to the Gathering.

10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man what a bummer, but better to have it happen when you knew you’d have to take the truck than have this be the deciding moment. Still sucks :/

11. Man, that's a bummer Chris. Hate all that work to end (well its not the end, but you know what I mean) in things not going exactly as they should.

kidcampbell71, Roothawg and loudbang like this.
  12. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Bummer Chris , But I know you will have a great time at the show. The roadster will get done in due time. I think the show will be a much needed R and R from the recent BS we have all been dealing with.

Roothawg, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. catdad49

catdad49

What a Great little car! Patience is a Virtue, take some time to relax and enjoy yourself! We’ll be here when you get back.

14. Roothawg

Roothawg

Yeah, now I am In the middle of an Ice storm, in October! Been without power for 2 days now. Good thing I am a pseudo prepper....

15. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I had a bunch of those rotor buttons,
    none ever had that brass thing... my contact was cast into the baka-light button... broke 1 in 30 years.
    can't put my hand on a stocker right now, would've sent pix...
    must have a half dozen... somewhere ? ? ?

loudbang and Roothawg like this.
  16. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Sorry to hear about the issues, Chris. Good thing you have a back-up to take this weekend.

loudbang, Stogy and Roothawg like this.
  17. It’s fair to be disappointed, after you have thrashed on it. But it’s not like driving the truck is a punishment! You’re taking a cool truck and your wife on a road trip. Enjoy it. The roadster will be waiting.

Walt
    Outsiders CC

18. From the looks of the forecast, you might be glad to have a roof and heat.

drdave, loudbang, Malcolm and 2 others like this.
  19. I used to take about 6-8 belts home and then return the same day and buy the one I needed......man, I really miss my local parts store. Now it's all chains, they frown upon selling and returning that many belts.

20. It does work really good, I made a CNG re-fueling trailer at work a few years ago with them and it doesn't leak a psi at all.

loudbang and Roothawg like this.
  21. Roothawg

Roothawg

Thanks guys.

loudbang likes this.
  22. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Is the pick up ready for the trip?

Roothawg and loudbang like this.
  23. Roothawg

Roothawg

Yep. Need to get all the pumpkins and hay out of the back, but right now we are living via generator.

Tim, loudbang and lumpy 63 like this.
  24. Chris have a good trip and LOTS of fun..

Roothawg likes this.
  25. And one more thing.. PICS are a must !

26. Roothawg

Roothawg

Welp, tomorrow at 7:30 will be the start of day 4 with no power. The freak ice storm has taken out close to 300,000 electric subscribers. I called the Marriott in Bartlesville and explained the situation. They agreed to waive the cancellation fees, if I can't make it.

I will have to draw a line in the sand and decide if we are calling it. Can't leave the house unattended with no power. I have been alternating the electric appliances trying to keep the fridge and freezer from thawing out (on the generator). I have about 20 trees that are down in the yard, but that can wait. They are calling for 40 mph winds tonight. That should take out anyone that still has power. The ice is still on all the lines.

I am about done with this year.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    chryslerfan55, drdave and loudbang like this.
  27. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Fuckin fuck

- hopefully I got the accent right

28. Man Chris, that is crazy! When I was in dental school in Memphis, a big ice storm came through and knocked out most of the city. Of course, the power was out at our house....from a branch on the line coming from the pole to the house, so we were among the last to get restored....after about a week. Hope I get to see you guys Saturday!

29. Roothawg

Roothawg

I guess it all depends. So far still no power. It is melting though, so that's good. We may make a flying trip up Saturday morning and have to leave and come back. We will see.

chryslerfan55, lumpy 63 and loudbang like this.
  30. I'm in the same boat...

lumpy 63, loudbang and Roothawg like this.