Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Traditional steering wheel for 32 Ford Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by harleycontracter, Mar 18, 2013.

1. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

Building a Bonneville style 50's style 32 Ford coupe. What would be the right steering wheel to use. Using a F 100 steering box.

2. Old 4 spoke Bell style. HRP

sidevalve8ba likes this.
  3. I agree. The nicest looking and most traditional Ford manufactured wheels are really to big. They are hard to get in around and don't give you a lot of room between the rim and the driver's side door. They were sized to give adequate leverage for lady drivers making tight turns at slow speeds. Unless you are a real wuss you will find the slightly smaller Bell style more comfortable overall and perfect for a Bonneville style 32.

4. alchemy

alchemy

How about the really big Bell? 17"?

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Give me an early Ford wheel. I'm a snob and I don't want a reproduction-sorta-like-an old Ford wheel. If you can't get into a 32 Ford with a stock early Ford wheel you might want to Google Jenny Craig. I'm 40 lbs over weight so I can say that.:D I get into and out very easily thank you very much.:D Part of the feel of an old Ford is having that big wheel in my grubby little fists. I hope this does not insult any one but that's just me.

birdog likes this.
  6. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

I'll second that!!!;)

7. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

Can you use a F100 wheel? That look right?

8. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

i like the big F1 steering wheels. they're plain, but period! the stock 1932 wheel is also a neat one but everybody seems to take them out.

9. Ya, this!

10. We used a 40 style wheel in our roadster. Found it under a tree at some auction. Attached were the column and box - both junk. Ready made patina!

11. 2935ford

2935ford

4 spoke 17" going in my '32 pickup.

Attached Files:

12. I had a 4 spoke bell in my old roadster. HRP

[​IMG]

13. Skirv

Skirv

I used a 48 Ford Wheel in mine.......

[​IMG]

Maybe a better photo?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  14. If you want a stock look this is what I did with mine!

Attached Files:

15. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

Ford used the tapered and keyed steering column from '28 until '48 in passenger cars and '28 until '47 in the pickup. With the introduction of the F1 pickup, Ford went to a splined steering shaft in the pickup. The splined shaft was used used the very next year in the '49 and up passenger cars.
    Your F100 shaft will be splined and will accept many on the '48 and later pickup wheels and '49 and later passenger car wheels. You can also get an adapter for your splined steering shaft to mount any of the aftermarket wheels that have the three bolt mounting arrangement.
    If you go with an earlier wheel, you will need to use a tapered and keyed steering shaft...

16. woodsnwater

woodsnwater
    from North Al.

I know this is an old thread.
    I see the splines started in 48-49, What year did they end? I don't know what year steering wheel to be looking for.