Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Do you drive ur custom

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by banditomerc, Oct 16, 2020.

1. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

I drive this one a lot, multiple times a week for errands and general stuff. They’re meant to be driven.

509F3C00-DF23-432D-9EA2-DC5A1907D5B7.jpeg

politicstshirt.jpg
    ironandsteele.com​

Last edited: Sep 2, 2022
  2. wicarnut

wicarnut

Check with your insurance company/read your policy/to avoid a potential claim problem. I have 2 of my hobby cars with Grundy and that is not a daily driver type policey (agreed value) other 2 late model OT, regular insurance, not agreed value, I will be screwed on a total loss deal. I agree with comment cars are meant to be driven, I drive mine. I have never used my hobby cars as my daily driver with exception of Way back in the day 64-70, only had 1 car at a time, that was my grocery getter, daily driver, street racer and hobby car.

PhilA and Special Ed like this.
  3. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

B71F9CE8-2809-4DC7-B55A-0D80D3868336.jpeg 66E92724-C4D8-4EBE-932D-B1EF0462D188.jpeg C8829E8A-7BE0-4424-A1D1-72F3D7C3BC12.jpeg C8829E8A-7BE0-4424-A1D1-72F3D7C3BC12.jpeg NZs old stone store built in 1831 , 700 mls from home and only another week of driving yet before home . Major problem, wiper switch bezel came loose!!! As long as the hot rod gods smile on us we will be happy for the next 7 days of 10 days cruising. Fantastic weather and people. [

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
  4. Not sure I consider either of my drivers a custom, but do plan to make my new daily driver t-bird a custom over time. If they wouldn’t have salted the roads yesterday and last night, I would be driving it to work in a couple minutes.

5. J-Gilmoore

J-Gilmoore

Daily driver May to October. Build when winter [​IMG]

Skickat från min iPhone med H.A.M.B.

6. Arch177

Arch177
    from Central NJ

I drive my '51 Styleline Deluxe every day it's nice out. Got her in April and easily put 2,000 miles on since. IMG_20201010_170247699_HDR.jpg

7. atomickustom

atomickustom

I just took out the '53 last week and I just don't enjoy driving it as much as I used to. (20 years later the thrill has dulled a bit.)

BUT...I so rarely see '50s and older cars on the road anymore that when I do it is a thrill and makes my day. So now I drive mine from time to time mainly to make someone else's day. Seriously.

dana barlow and drdave like this.
  8. No customs here, but they are/were my daily drivers. I have a work truck right now because of covid, but after that ends (real soon) it's back to daily. The '47 is the only "classic" car insurance one, the rest are regular and I don't own a car newer then 1960. The ones on the road get to share the duty (the '56 panel and '41 p/u).

9. Rick Coast

Rick Coast

dana barlow likes this.
  10. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I drive it as much as I can. Occasionally I'll see a random video of me driving it around, like this one.

danny1957mopar_matthewleland-81-2.jpg

11. I drive my tub pretty regular.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
  12. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Hell yeah!

dana barlow likes this.
  13. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I've driven my 57 Ford quite a bit over the years but the roughness of the car eventually started to cause me to use it less and less, since I got tired of it beating me up, slamming off the pavement, being cold in the early spring and fall and scorching hot in the summer, lousy brakes, atrocious steering, snapped off wiper cables.... it just made the driving experience unenjoyable. Then a couple years ago we had our daughter, and not only did that take time away from shows, but the car was honestly too dangerous to subject her to.

Since I've had my pair of Oldsmobiles I've been logging a lot more miles. Even with COVID and shows being cancelled, pretty much any time I need to go somewhere that doesn't involve driving to work, I'm driving my 56. Weekend runs to the grocery store, Home Depot, a dentist appointment, whatever. My '56 has been the only car we use on the weekend, and they're both really nice driving, very usable cars.

I feel like that's one of the real joys of a custom is that it's so practical as a vehicle. I sort of equate a hot rod to a chopper. It will get me there with basically the clothes on my back, maybe a single passenger, and that's pretty much it. If you do it right, a custom is a car you can take a long trip in comfortably and have room for luggage and passengers. Especially for those of us who have little ones, you can throw the whole family in and go to dinner and cruise night or show, which makes it easier to enjoy the car and the shows when I don't have to leave people home to go. They can come with. Plus I do enjoy sharing the hobby with my family. My wife doesn't mind and hopefully my daughter will develop an interest in it one day, too. She already loves going for "car ride!"

Here's a shot from last year on our TROG trip, a 3 hour haul one-way with the family. Thanks to my bud Scott for the great shot

Olds Salty Mermaid.jpg

14. Although not my daily, I guess my 56 is sort of a real mild custom... I try to drive it often too and Gotgas’s post reminded me of getting caught headed home from work one day recently too.

3B17869B-5F7C-4FDB-8ECB-8D5C53357BCF.jpeg

15. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

16. topher5150

topher5150

I'm not going to put all that time, money, and work just to sit there and look at it.

17. chevrolet50steve

chevrolet50steve

I drive my cars as much as I can and in all weathers,sun,wind,rain and snow,that’s what we build them for!! So far all over the UK,France,Belgium,Holland,Germany, Luxembourg and a 2500 road trip to Sweden

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  18. raymay

raymay

Always kept my cars licensed all year. If we get some good days in the winter, I sometimes use the opportunity to take a ride in one of them. Had several 37 Chevy cars and trucks over the years and they along with one of my 58 Chevy's and other post 66 rides, all did time in the parking lot when I worked for Kodak. I also drove my cars to the Salvage Yard I was a partner in.
    Since the mid 90's I have made several trips from New York to Michigan where our Son and his Family live. A few years ago someone took a photo of me driving Woodward in my 56 and I later spotted it on an internet Puzzle site. https://www.jigidi.com/jigsaw-puzzle/h527ohp7/phantom-1956-chevy-el-camino/

49.jpg DSC00772.JPG IMG_1639.JPG

19. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

From 1960 to late 1964 I drove my full custom Henry J about 75% of the time,and my 28A hot rod bobtailed roadster I first got running 59 The other 25%,, in late 1964 my full custom "J" was stolen.
    Took 7 years to know were the "J"want,a buddy Helped on it, saw it in a junk yard. Stripped out an under two other cars. I did not go get what little was left. I still have my high school 28A hot rod,I kept driving it an got a used 57 Ford 2d wagon.
    " had the "J" not been stolen",would I of kept my custom J,or the hot rod,both or none ?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
    drdave likes this.
  20. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Supposed to be fabulous weather in Michigan for the next few days so I busted out my SHoebox Ford today...leaving the DD Suburban parked for a few.

dana barlow likes this.
  21. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

80 miles from home in this pic
    IMG_0912.JPG

22. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

About 100,000 miles on my 63 Galaxie bellflower era custom in the last decade. 18,000 of them during the 9 week long 48 Cars 48 States trip.

23. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I try to drive mine daily, it’s Kool therapy. I’m Blessed to have a late model option if the weather is too bad.. Life is too short to drive boring cars.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

24. Man...right dead on that speed limit. :D I posted a similar pic the other day when I was headed up to the Gathering and someone noticed my speedometer was just a tad past the speed limit. :oops:

54delray, drdave and straykatkustoms like this.
  25. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lol, Jeff Myers always comments on my lack of speed. I'm trying, it is just hard to beat slow habits

54delray, drdave and guthriesmith like this.
  26. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

My speedometer doesn't work in my '50...I just wing it.:)

guthriesmith and straykatkustoms like this.
  27. I had my Merc. out the other day & noticed my Inspection is due
    last month, so I have to call to see if I can get it done!
    I will take it out today & go for a run about 5 or so miles around the area.
    Saturday I will put my Passenger door on & will be driving it more
    until the Weather gets Bad.

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

drdave and straykatkustoms like this.
  28. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

I drive the Stude nearly every day... to the store, to pick up a load of hay, ranch chores... what ever. The off-road stuff won't be as easy after the sub-frame is in. IMG_0233.JPG

drdave likes this.
  29. 59FORD

59FORD

When they're complete beater like mine (less worry about it). Makes it easier to drive them to run errands and park with all the other newer cars.
    The last 8 months my car has been to Lowe's or Harbor Freight more than anything else.

IMG_9309.jpg IMG_9314.jpg

30. deansrr

deansrr

As soon as i get one of them done!