Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bucket T Steering ideas

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by TrueBlue23, Oct 26, 2020.

1. TrueBlue23

TrueBlue23

Hey folks! I'm nearing the part of my build where I need to make a decision on my steering box. I had originally planned to do the Corvair box on top of the frame rail. But now that I got my motor and tranny mocked up where I want it, it seems as though it may be a little tight between my headers and the frame now. I'm open to any suggestions, I'd just prefer to keep it in the 60's era styling. Any input and pics would be awesome. frame1.png

2. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

How about a little more info on your needs, the piece that is sticking up doesn't show much detail. What kind of exhaust manifiold, stock, block huggers, "roadster headers"? Where is your steering wheel shaft coming through the firewall? Most 60s types were Corvairs, F1 and F100 boxes, even early Mustang boxes. Plus a lot more. Bill

3. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

A few tips n 2 pic's of ways to stay back a little so motor or headers are not in the way.;;
    Ideas for thought! From cars I built.
    Mock up,should be about ; Adjusting things, engine can if needed be out of center some,header can be mod. Steering box placement is best,if an understanding of a combo ,of min. bump steer, seat/steering wheel pedals=to that point is also what you like? A lot of early "T" had upright steering an others more standard angle. Have some fun,sit in it,with a steering wheel in your hands. Playing the mock up game,is very good use of your time{ big time saved from needed refab. .
    I'm sure you can find a good # of S-box mounts of many types of box's.
    The last one I did with my son "T",we used a Mustang Box below the frame/custom offset pitman arm"UP" so were rod end hooks to it was only a few in. from rear bone end< that kept bump steer very low.
    On my old hot,I mounted box in top of frame,about 1/2 in to firewall,so it was back more then some,an my header don't get near the box. I thought it looked fairly clean that way,with a small body pocket for swing. Also set close too rear bone mount for bump steer control./ 007.JPG 014.JPG

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    TrueBlue23 likes this.
  4. TrueBlue23

TrueBlue23

running lakes style headers. And as far as where the steering shaft comes through, we haven't done that yet. I'm not even opposed to running it up through the floor as long as I can get the right angle.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looks like you have plenty of room between the wish bone bracket and the body to put a Mustang (style) steering box behind the bracket and have the sector shaft exit under the frame as the one in this thread https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/mustang-steering-boxes.1107423/ They aren't too spendy, they don't break easily and the pitman arm points up making it easy and simple to have a drag link that runs level or closely matches the angle of the bones.
    With the later boxes that came from rigs that had the column separate from the box you can run a U joint in the shaft and get your column angle a lot closer to where you want it.

6. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Never cared for the " through the floor " steering , never felt comfortable. The reversed corvair is probably the most popular ,but the aftermarket boxes are reportedly not always good . Vega box with cross steer works well but looks a bit busy with the universal joints , multiple steering shaft sections & support bearings . "good" rebuild able corvair boxes are still out there .

TrueBlue23 likes this.
  7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Getting harder to find and possibly will not be considered "traditional" but the VW bus (transporter) steering gear was commonly used, a friend of mine used one in his T- bucket build in the late 60's.

TrueBlue23 likes this.
  8. Mimilan

Mimilan

Better still [and on the same line of thinking]
    Consider a VW Beetle 1302S steering box [it is easier to mount] and works the same as a "reversed" box for a drop pitman arm
    upload_2020-10-27_14-17-0.png

upload_2020-10-27_14-18-52.png

dana barlow, mgtstumpy and TrueBlue23 like this.
  9. evintho

evintho

Definitely not '60s era but this is what I did. Found an '86 Suzuki Samurai at Pick-N-Pull and yanked the whole steering setup. Pitman arm/box/intermediate shaft/U-joints and column. With the U-joints I could center the column and get it in the most desirable/comfortable position. Worked out well.

P1010012.JPG

under13.JPG

ingarage5 (2).JPG

10. I used a chevelle box in cross steer fashion

Screenshot_20201026-234758_Gallery.jpg 20201026_233957.jpg

dana barlow and TrueBlue23 like this.
  11. TrueBlue23

TrueBlue23

I kinda dig that setup. I'm gonna look more into those. thank you all for replies tonight

Jibs, dana barlow and rdscotty like this.