Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 56 235 in 1954 Chevy

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by ky Wright, Oct 25, 2020.

1. ky Wright

ky Wright

My buddy and I are putting a 235 from a 56 half ton truck into a 1954 Chevy bel air.
    Looking for some tips to make it easier.
    I’m guessing that we will need is to use the 54 clutch starter and bellhousing. The pump is too long so we will either have to move the radiator or get an adapter to use the shorter pump.
    Anyone have examples of how to deal with the different motor mounts? The newer motor has the mounts in the front corners. The car has the side towers. Any help appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. lowrd

lowrd

There are a bunch of threads available here, just start plugging in. There are several mount styles available through GM If you’re using stock front suspension. Check the T5 trans swaps for additional information. There is one company making adaptors to stay with the side mounts on a later engine. Don’t recall the name. Good luck. I used a later pump by pressing the hub further down the shaft, worked fine.

1934coupe likes this.
  3. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  4. Torchie

Torchie

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

There's an "aftermarket" water pump that has the fan blade flange pushed onto the shaft further, so the radiator does't have to be moved forward. Why not take advantage of the truck bellhousing, use a later model transmission, and convert to an open driveline.? Just a thought. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

6. lowrd

lowrd

The bell housing I used in m 53 came from a 62, which worked well with a T5. TheT5 forums here are a wealth of info when you need it. Post 3 has an excellent site listed for what you want to accomplish.

7. There are kits available for the different side mounts get the engine where it needs to be and weld them in, pretty easy and available on the auction website.

you can use the later style water pump and press the flange in, a short sbc water pump pulley works, will search for what year etc.

if your going to keep it closed driveline then use your bell and related stuff.

if your going to open drive use the truck bell as modern trannies will bolt up with either an adapter plate or cutting a bit of the input shaft.

lots of options and opinions on what your doin

show us pics of your ride
    We all like pics

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 54 and later truck bellhousings don't bolt up to the car bellhousing mounts without a lot of cutting and fitting. Not a good idea.

I have pressed the hub back and used a shorter pulley matching the amount I pressed the hub to the differences in hubs. I'd still say you are better off to go with The 54 pump and the adapter from Davis Speed equipment. Ebay number 222924277653 to placate the moderators. That lets you run the 54 pump and fan and solves issues later on when someone may not understand that it has had an engine swap.
    You will have to figure out what you need for front motor mounts to bolt the truck engine in the car. If you have the old engine that should just mean unbolting the pieces off the 54 engine and bolting them on the 56 engine.

9. IMG_0873.JPG
    I made my own side mounts. I’m running a ‘56 261 in my ‘54.
    As previously stated, you can press the hub further onto the water pump shaft and then trim the shaft. I’ve done this several times.
    Whatever you decide on the bellhousing, just keep the starter and flywheel together. The tooth count is different on both from 6 volt to 12 volt applications.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dang, that mount is just flat pretty. Nice work. Well thought out in that it looks like it clears the drag link too.

11. fortynut

fortynut

Toss the bell housing, trans and rear end in favor of anything else. I owned more than a few of these cars and drove them up and down the country and the transmission is a piece of shit from the get-go. Far better to use later Chevy stuff than deal with the headaches that come with them. The closed drive line is worse than Ford's. Chevy pickups from '55 on have better trans, though the Saginaw fully synchro that came along later is far better. Like has been suggested, go with a 5 speed WC and you can tailor the ratios of the rear-end to make it buzz on the superslab. Even a 10 bolt out of a box Nova would be a better choice than what it has. Just remember there is a difference in how the spring bolt fits into the rear-end mounts. It is offset, so either make your own, or buy an adapter. There is also another thing about the '53-'54 Chevys to take note of. They are top heavy and will roll over if you get them sideways. Lowering might help but I rolled a couple, without belts on, and escaped with my life only because I was lucky. One because I was a young crazy leadfoot, another because the tires blew in a curve. As to the engines that came in them, I blew one coming across the bridge into Natchez MS from a wild night with my buddy Dickey Walrdop in and around the big citu of Vidalia, Louisiana (the same neighborhood where Jerry Lee Lewis found his teenage wife!) and we were lucky enough to coast all the way across and walk away. Good luck with yours. I even had a nice Black '54 Sedan Delivery I drove to Provincetown MA, in the early sixties and back to Memphis, coming back high gear was so bad I had to use a rope to hold it in gear. That was some time ago. Have fun with yours. Every one of those I ever owned left me with memories to treasure. I hope yours are all pleasant.

12. hey so what fan did you use after moving the water pump hub

13. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

When I transplanted a '58 235 into a '53 210 years ago, a 283 water pump pulley worked for me.