Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Safety first. Some times

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willys36, Oct 21, 2020.

1. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

2. Observationally speaking, the thread, actually, briefly, had the makings of constructive input into an area of safety we all deal with probably daily in shop situations....... I see the gallows humor in making light(see what I did there) of the risks of of something as simple as a fucked up extension cord. If some unfortunate cat buys it, and is injured or dies from an unfortunate electrical accident that could have been avoided, it'll get the usual page after page of posts saying R.I.P.....prayers sent....blah blah, that makes everyone feel consoling and sympathetic, instead of..."jeezus, that defective extension cord jammed about 100 Milliamps thru his heart''....probably wouldn't a happened with a good one!" Ventricular fibrillation.....A laugh a minute.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    RidgeRunner and porknbeaner like this.
  3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

has anyone here ever posted of someone getting electrocuted on here? yeah, I didn't think so.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  4. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Yeah, someone please think of us cats!

5. gene-koning

gene-koning

I have the heavy duty 12/3 50' cords that still have the ground plugs on them. A lot of the "new" cords have gone back to the 2 prong plugs, but the one plug is wider then the other so it only plugs in one way.

Back when I worked in factory maintenance, the electricians used to say "440 volts will kick you clear. 220 volts you can get away from, but you can't let go of 120 volts and it will kill you." Personally, I never tested their wisdom. Gene

6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I've heard that before myself.

7. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Just as long as you don't try and pull it out of the wall with a needle nose pliers. :D:eek:

8. Paul

Paul
    Editor

My dad had the 3/8" version, on/off trigger no variable speed like today's drills and you had to be ready when you pulled the trigger because not only did it start with a jump it gave you a constant tingling shock as long as you held the trigger.
    Sometimes it was preferable to use the egg beater crank hand drill.

9. Yes it will clear itself but 440(480v) explodes, it will melt a screw driver to the handle and can hurt you badly if your just standing close to the short. I dealt with it routinely when we shut off services (pulled CTs)for businesses doing PMs. It’s nasty stuff and always required two people minimum for that extra set of eyes and to help in an emergency.
    This was done by shutting off all Amp load on the customer side. If not done this way severe arching occurred at CT removal with the possibility of it jumping to another phase. Nasty stuff!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    olscrounger and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I'd like to see you use one of those old aluminum cased drills on a humid day without a grounding circuit..

That grounding terminal was designed to blow a breaker in case one of the hot wires came loose and was touching the steel cabinet like in a washer/dryer/refrigerator.. They also protect from leaking current from broken down winding varnish..

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  11. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I thought those were for keeping it in the socket

williebill and Beanscoot like this.
  12. I was leaning on a tall TV antenna pole (now that makes me feel old) once that got struck by lightning. I didn't get electrocuted though. Guess I am a poor conductor.

We all seem to have a different idea of electrocution. My understanding may be limited on the subject so take what I am going to say with a grain of salt but by my way of thinking if you get "electrocuted" and live to tell about it you didn't get electrocuted at all just shocked.:eek::D

seb fontana and hotrodjack33 like this.
  13. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

A have heard that it is a good idea to install outlets upside down in work areas so that the plug stays in better. The conductor prongs will tend to stay in as the ground pulls out, but since the ground is longer, it will still function until the whole works comes out.

hotrodjack33 and nochop like this.
  14. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All my shop outlets are mounted upside down. The reason is, in case a piece of steel falls over (or anything) and gets between the outlet and the plug, it will fall on the ground prong...and not short/arc across the 2 power prongs.

upspirate and Murphy32 like this.
  15. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

That read like a good layup to a joke...

It was the summer of 68 and I had just walked away from a 350 car train wreck. After I helped put out the fires I left. I walked out of the yard to the local grocery to pick up a six pack and smokes. Ran into an old buddy who was a career criminal. I was leaning on a tall TV antenna pole telling Rob what happened. I took a sip of my beer and a puff of my smoke. BAM!!! The pole got struck by lightning. I didn't get electrocuted though. Guess I am a poor conductor!

16. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think electrocution is having a lot of current run through one's body. No where in the definition does it mention death so I would conclude that death is the ultimate result of a lot of electricity applied.

17. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Electrocution is having a lot of voltage pass through your body. You don't need a lot of current to kill you. 3 milli amps will do it. A very large voltage will continue to slowly cook you from the inside even after the shock. The soft tissue was burned and will continue to die. If you come in contact of a high voltage and it is looking for its way or a path to ground through you, the result can be devastating.

18. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That would be correct. The term "current" is used by people whom do not know better, i.e., most folks like me that use voltage and current interchangeably. Thanks for the correction.

19. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And while we're at it...has anyone ever known of someone getting Tetanus from cut ???? EVER???

20. 52HardTop

52HardTop

It was the practice in my early years in the trade that when you used a metal plate on a receptacle, you wanted that plug mounted ground up so if the plate screw were to be removed while a cord was plugged in, the plate wouldn't fall across the hot and neutral prongs of that plug cap. Instead as was already said, the plate will drop onto the ground prong. Today, many receptacles no longer rely solely on the one plate screw. Most are secured with two more screws and nuts to keep them in place when the center plate screw might be removed to mount a wall wart transformer etc.

21. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Explain to me why one could be standing on a tire and still get zapped from a magneto or even battery ign? Conductor to capacitor?

22. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Tires contain enough carbon to conduct electricity. From a Google search:

"Are tires conductive?
    Believe it or not, tires are conductive. There is enough carbon used in tire tread compounds that the tires are reasonably conductive and do not effectively isolate the car from ground."

23. I am an Electrical Inspector and would advise anyone using a garage receptacle to make sure they are Ground Fault Protected. Some of the old drills only had two prongs but they were called double grounded. I am not real sure what that means. A ground fault receptacle will work on an old two wire system and protect you from shock hazards tht are compounded by the fact that you are working on a concrete floor that makes you more susceptible to going to ground. You should test your Ground Fault Receptacle monthly as advised by the manufacturer. I will not advise on how to test this receptacle as you should check the manufacturer's procedures. The other problem is the floor can be wet and also hold moisture. The prong that was first mentioned in this thread is the equipment ground. The equipment ground can save your life.

olscrounger likes this.
  24. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I did. Watched the black line go up my arm as I headed to a hospital 2 hours away. Almost hit the top of my shoulder before I got the shot.

25. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Why would pulling the ground lug out of the wall be a problem ?

26. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Interesting thread. A waste of time, but interesting.:D

dirty old man likes this.
  27. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry. Once again I stand corrected (happens a lot).

28. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

29. speedshifter

speedshifter

Back to 1/2" drills. A friend has an old 1/2" drill that has double the normal reduction ratio between the armature & the chuck giving a chuck rpm of 200 instead of the normal 400. It works great for large drill bits. I would like to find one for myself. Greg

30. verde742

verde742

on one of our med. calls: we thought the guy 'kicked the bucket, But he just turned a little Pale'