Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Gathering At The Roc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The Gathering At The Roc

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. The lineup of cars looks amazing. I would totally be going if not for a backlog of projects so I am staycationing at the ranch.

3. Definitely looking forward to it this weekend. It should be as you say “the best show of 2020”. If nothing else, I will be glad to see several friends that I haven’t been able to see this year because of our situation.

4. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn, I wish I could. If I were able to attend, I would be the extremely handsome fellow with the white beard, black HAMB hat and a mask. The mask would be to help protect my wife who has the same problems with her immune system and rheumatoid arthritis as does @Ryan. The mask would also be in place to protect others from the possibility of my inadvertently spreading this virus to others. Think of it as kind of like using a condom for protected sex as opposed to not wearing a condom and catching something you don't want to bring home.:eek:

5. Me and 36 3 winder.jpg Pullin out early Thursday morning.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Be the event to sell H.A.M.B. hoodies, and more, with the cool weather - will help make it a really Cool show

7. I also looked at the list of pre-registered and was amazed at the quality and variety of cars that will be in attendance. Ryan, you did the right thing. Your health and that of your Family are and should be your total focus at this time. Good luck with the RA going forward. A good friend of mine has it and it is a constant struggle for him. Take care of yourself. One day (soon I hope) we'll look back at this year as a bad memory.

chryslerfan55, Tim and alanp561 like this.
  8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

RA doesn't really effect me. Aside from that weekly Humira shot (shit, that hurts!) and a flare up once a year or so, I'd never know I have it. I feel so bad for those that live with the constant flare up. I don't know that I could do it.

Again, only bring it up in this context because I got a ton of shit for canceling the drags... and don't really want to deal with those people again over this.

9. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I've been looking forward to attending this event for months now.

But I do have to admit that almost daily I have second thoughts about going. Whether it's due to COVID, or driving my roadster (no top, no heat of any kind) in the 30 degree weather this coming Thursday morning.

In 2018, I drove the roadster from the LSRU in Austin, back to Omaha (850 miles) in one day. Started out in the 40s in Austin that morning and it was 30 degrees in Omaha when we arrived here around midnight. It was absolutely miserable and it took me a week to recover from that trip.

So, I really should know better, right? Just drive the '62 Ford wagon, instead?

We'll see.

10. ............I've done it before, but 30 degrees is not heater-less, no top Roadster weather! Now, where's that "frigid" emoticon. Westminster bound (1) (1).JPG

11. Brandi

Brandi

We've gone back and forth on going vs not, but the constant flood of incredible cars on the Gatherings insta was enough to finally seal the deal.

12. The Magic Ratchet

The Magic Ratchet

I agree with you Ryan. In fact, I called the members of my club reckless and irresponsible when I resigned from the Board over a car show. Personally, I would have difficulty promoting an event that would, likely, get someone ill or possibly worse. Sorry if you have to take shit over this but you are in the right. Hang in there!

Lou

Sonofabob, Texas57 and ratrodrodder like this.
  13. Like some have said...compromised immune system and cold weather...I REALLY want to go but cold weather, no door glass, high blood pressure, asthma, stage 4 bone cancer and an old, 72 year old body says I'm not going. Ok, my wife said the same thing. Hope all the guys have a great time.

14. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Sorry to hear you won't be going, Rocky. But I do totally understand and respect the reasoning behind your decision.

15. Really looking forward to the weekend and seeing old friends and making some new ones. Took the engine out the Chevy in March, the week before the world hit the fan, figuring I'd have the new motor in hand, rebuilt and back in the car a few weeks. Who knew Covid would reach so far as to eat all the .060 over rings for a '58 261. Two weeks ago finally got the motor back and have been scrambling to get it in and ready for the weekend. Break-in finally happens this evening after 7 months.....Woolaroc here we come.

16. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

OK I give up, where is the prereg list of cars??

17. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

@moriarity They have been posting a bunch them on instagram

18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

The other thread also has a ton of photos I saw it this morning but can’t find it now

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  19. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thanks. I am not on there but thanks for letting me know

20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

For context, I deleted a little argument of sorts...

Fellas... as I said in the post... I will not promote a show right now. I don't like the idea of people rubbing elbows while Covid continues to grow. This post was factual in that:

1. I know the roster is killer. Low numbers, high quality...
    2. I'm not going... because, well... Covid. Make your own decision.

I am not promoting or encouraging anyone to go. Just stating what I know.

And from the other side, I'm a pussy for dropping out? Cool. Get off my lawn and go kiss some strangers. The world is your oyster.

21. Seriously, if someone inferred that you were a pussy for putting your health and the health of your Family before anything else, then to hell with them. It just makes me angry to think that anyone would feel that way.:mad:. I hope that didn't really happen and you were just using that as an "example".

22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

To clarify... he didn't call me a "pussy" in so many words. Just mentioned that I had fallen for the media driven hoax, snowflake, etc... Which I'm totally fine with folks thinking that... I just don't want the politics and the us vs. them bullshit here.

At the end of the day, it's a car show during a pandemic. People can make their own decision, but ya kind of gotta respect other's opinions as well... If ya don't, you're kind of a problem.

23. RMONTY

RMONTY

Are you driving or towing your car Dave? See you on Saturday!

chryslerfan55 and drdave like this.
  24. Well I am staying home also as just like Ryan. At 81 years old I would love to have made this show as it looks like it was a great turn out of some killer hot rods. Just a lot safer following it on line.

25. Rand Man

Rand Man

I got up Saturday morning planning to go. It’s 30 degrees, no heat, my back hurts, Covid. . . My immune system. . . Maybe somebody else would be a better caretaker for my hot rod?

26. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

It’ll be warmer and better times soon enough man. But if it needs to come stay up north long enough for you to miss it I’m sure I’ve got room lol.

27. phat rat

phat rat

I think most of us know some naysayers. But when you have friends who have gotten Covid it hits home and solidifies that it's certainly not a hoax that'll end 11/03/20.
    Ryan sounds as though there's been great progress made on the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. My dad had it starting in 58 and was considered permanently disabled and on SS in 62. When he passed in 81 he was still on steroids' and aspirin although in the beginning he would get Cortisone shots regularly. My greatest fear getting older was that I would also have it, As it is I've outlived my dad by 5 yrs already and only have a little arthritis nothing debilitating

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  28. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

11/3/20

29. phat rat

phat rat

I fixed it Thanks

30. You did the right thing, Boss! I found out about the gathering at the last minute, too late to submit an application, and not sure my car would have been accepted anyway, but thought about driving the 410 miles to be just a spectator, which brings me to my question............Looking at Royboy's photo shoot, I didn't see any groups of people that looked like spectators. So am I concluding correctly that this was a "gathering", and not a show that the public was allowed into?