Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods First truck for my boy.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stubbsrodandcustom, Oct 26, 2020.

1. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

So I had picked up a OT truck for the boy, turned out to be a turd and not what he really wanted.

Last weekend at the swap meet found this lil jewl... 68 dodge d100 with a 318. Pretty nice truck all in all, runs etc.

He was working yesterday with us on cleaning, and fixing things, he loves it so I think i did my job for finding the first truck.

68-1.jpg

68-2.jpg

68-4.jpg 68-3.jpg

68-4.jpg

The street sign floor patch will be pulled out and repaired right by him...

came with a good seat, so that will be used.

slim38, 41 GMC K-18, Paul B and 15 others like this.
  2. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Before anyone reports about the year - the D100 Dodge basic body style did not change until 69.

So this is one of the few vehicles on the HAMB that is the same body style beyond 65.

The Riviera goes to 65, Vettes go to 67, Falcons 65,

Enjoy time with your son.

slim38, Mopar Tony, Tim and 9 others like this.
  3. That’s a sleek looking truck with the long box!
    318 is a good strong runner.

whst are the overall plans for it ?

4. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

THanks...

318 should serve well for it for sure...

Overall. bulletproof dependable driver, then probably lower a bit, and try to sway him to whitewalls and painted wheels, or something classy, maybe supremes even if he just wants that look. great to see him excited about this one.

5. Looks like a nice solid truck for your son! Those Dodge’s have kind of grown on me over time. Sounds like you have some good plans for it and hopefully he goes along.

6. Great you two are on a roll....have fun !

7. Love it! I’ve been looking for a decently priced one for a while now.

stubbsrodandcustom likes this.
  8. das858

das858

I've had 3 of those vintage Dodge trucks over the years , they are the easiest trucks to work on ever ! You can pull the engine without even removing the hood , the inner fenders are flat so your tools stay where you want them to . Great truck for your son !

9. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From my days as an attendant at a full serve gas station back in the day I never saw a Dodge p/u like yours that didn't have hair (including mine on many occasions) on the damn latch hanging down from the hood. Regardless, nice truck.

10. Sir, can you please include the '65 Ford trucks in that as they were the same body from 61-65? Thank you Sir.

chryslerfan55 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  11. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I lived in Las Cruces New Mexico in the 60's until 72 and one of the local racers (Racer Rex....can't remember his last name) had an early Dodge pickup (same body style) that he towed a MoPar super stocker with and later that car body was sitting on barrels? and the hemi was in a stock car running at the local track. Because of that I've always sorta liked those trucks even though the styling was (in my mind) not that great. I had a chance to trade for one with a guy from Omaha that wanted my 50 Chevy Sedan Delivery. I wish I would have traded. The money from the sale of the SD is long gone as is the wife I had then, one I miss, the other no so much.

12. oldsman41

oldsman41

I had one in 72-80 beat the poor thing bad up north where I live the body just rotted off it. Cool trucks though

13. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

Very nice first truck, maybe a gasser? They are straight axled already LOL
    I found a 66 I have been looking at that runs and drives for 4 years now and just can't pull the trigger. They are awesome trucks.

[​IMG]

14. dwollam

dwollam

They kept that body through 1971. That hood, which is the best looking one in my opinion, is a '70-'71. '68 and earlier dipped down in the center and had fake louvers on each rear sides.

Dave

15. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

@Kirk Hanning has had a couple-three of those. They seem pretty tough. Pretty basic, too. Great first truck IMO!

16. Back in the late 80's I did one up for a buddy. Clipped it with a Volare' front stub, and dropped a 440, 727 in it. Made a custom stainless steel tube grill, custom push bumper, and reworked the bed a bit so he could haul his midget. He loved the power steering, disc brakes and adjustability of the torsion bars that was a by product of the stub. Said he loved the ride since his ass was in it days at a time. He painted it black to match the midget. Told me it was the coolest rig in the pits, but a bitch to keep clean.

17. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

That's a nice solid Dodge! You don't find them like that here in Iowa. I still have the scar on my finger from replacing rusted out floors on one back in 1987!

18. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

Nice score!! If you and him are going to do the work please pay attention to the brakes and steering. Make it SAFE for him to drive. If the truck comes with a dual plane master cylinder, you are ahead of the game. if not, give a new master upgrade a thought. Hows it run? Make it as dependable as you can and drive it for a while, the truck will help you decide what to do next. Enjoy the father/son experience!! Bill

19. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Thanks Bill... Yeah brakes and steering are a must for sure, its first on the list. Runs ok, Has a cylinder miss, doing a tune up and carb base gasket to see if that goes away, one plug wire was broken so may have fouled plug is my thoughts honestly. All the gauges work, almost all the lights work. Has dual master already, that's being replaced with wheel cylinders and shoes etc.
    Thinking it should be a killer lil truck and puts some good ole detroit steel around him...

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  20. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Kool truck, my son (19) just picked up his first project also. Let’s get those kids wrench’n!

21. gene-koning

gene-koning

I've had a few of those Dodge trucks (and a bunch more, newer and older). The 1st Dodge truck I ever owned was a 66, it was a 3/4 ton Camper special had the poly 318 with a granny gear 4 speed. I'd guess I was around 20 at the time. That truck was a bruit, it could pull or haul just about anything. Back then, trucks had to pass a safety inspection every 6 months. I'd owned the truck for a couple of years and had the worst time with the emergency brake. The last time it passed the inspection, the guy told me not to bring it back again. I think I traded it even up for a 4 speed Dodge car.
    That truck was a great 1st truck for me. Gene

22. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Sucker looks good. Some old guys baby?