Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Transporting a Hotrod with a U-Haul Auto Trailer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zooming46, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

VA4020070313b.JPG VA4020070313d.JPG
    Any questions?
    Also works for 1936 Ford cabriolets.;):D

ratrodrodder and Just Gary like this.
  2. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love the trailers, wish I could buy one. Their tow dollies are also great.

Chappy444 likes this.
  3. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Towed my 50 chevy 3600 pickup with one, no problems. Also towed my 39 Buick special from Long Island to CT on one, again no problem.

4. sunbeam

sunbeam

Max vehicle weight 5290 lbs I think you will be OK.

5. j3harleys

j3harleys

1056.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    ratrodrodder and olscrounger like this.
  6. If you rent a Uhaul trailer and you lie about the car you are putting on the trailer - the insurance that comes standard as well as any insurance upgrade you purchase thru Uhaul is voided.

So is your automobile insurance.

The person who is named on the Uhaul contract and/or the operator of the motor vehicle pulling the trailer is solely responsible for any claims arising out of damages claimed should an accident occur.

Something to consider.

Jim

R A Wrench, 51504bat and Boneyard51 like this.
  7. Yep a good choice for one way - got one in Houston to haul a 4 - door parts car back to Dallas. You - like was mentioned earlier = you might have to fudge on whet your carrying - they frown on or won't rent it if the the vehicle is antiqueish. I usually just say a newish Jeep.

8. This worked fine using a 2019 Canyon IMG_0749.JPG

MO_JUNK likes this.
  9. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not about a car trailer but I rented U Haul box trailers to move my son 2 times from SoCal to Seattle (after the first trip through 8 inches of snow in Portland you think I would have learned, but that's a completely different story) Trailers are fine but don't trust the kid who hooks up the trailer for anything. Check the air pressure on the trailer tires before you leave. Don't ask me why. Also, on one rental their photo scanner was down and the kid who completed the paperwork took a photo of my driver's license on his personal cell phone so he could transfer it to the U Haul data base. Not too happy about that but it was that or no trailer.

10. Twice with pictures. First is a stop in Connecticut at my sisters house with my '55 T-Bird.
    55 Bird in Ct..jpg .Second is my '51 Ford two door Custom.
    011.jpg

MO_JUNK, Chappy444 and Boneyard51 like this.
  11. mlagusis

mlagusis

I used one for towing my son's 1950 Chevy. I have used these for about 12 other cars too. The trailers work great unless you plan to reverse up a steep hill as the brakes will engage.

Attached Files:

12. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Most surge brakes have a pin you can put in to prevent them from working while backing up.

Bones

mlagusis and chopped like this.
  13. 1999 HONDA ACCORD. Ironically it looked like my 54 Chevy

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  14. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

You can look on-line to see if your tow vehicle and towed vehicle are an "approved" vehicle.

https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/

I "suspect" that tow vehicle weight and wheelbase are factored into the Uhaul GO/NO GO decision.

Example: Three years ago, I was going to buy a 1954 Studebaker post coupe - about a 200 mile tow. The 1986 Ford F150 short bed was a "NO GO". The wife's 2012 Nissan Frontier crew cab was "approved" and I made an on-line reservation for pickup at a Uhaul dealer near the seller.

The Stude had major hidden rust issues - OH-POOP - cancelled my reservation and drove home.

15. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

On the U-haul web site they have a video of how a trailer reacts to being loaded heavy in back and in front. If you are ever going to pull a trailer, it’s a great video to watch.

Bones

ratrodrodder and alanp561 like this.
  16. zooming46

zooming46

Wow, thanks for all the great replies. Looks likes the U-haul trailer will be a go.

17. True but the cars that I have hauled are too old to show up on their approved list so be ready to substitute something equal to what you are planning to transport.

18. Phil1934

Phil1934

Hauled a Firebird with big tires 100 miles behind my F150. Saw the straps over the tires had fell off but I had chained it front and rear.

19. Jay McDonald

Jay McDonald

best designed trailers that I have seen, very user friendly.

j3harleys likes this.
  20. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

Have used those trailers several times.
    Rugged, ugly, and smooth rolling. They've phased the older U-haul orange units out for the silver galvanized units around here. A lot easier to hose off and less likely to get visual tetanus.

Definitely check the trailer before taking off. Have had low tire pressure, missing hardware, broken hardware, not properly hooked up, or my favorite the kid hooked up a trailer that was meant to be serviced as one of the main bolts for holding the tongue(surge brake system) onto the trailer was sheered off :eek:

Boneyard51 likes this.
  21. Same as everyone else. 1950 Mercury w/ ‘94 1500 p/u over the grapevine and 1960 Studebaker wagon from AZ with same truck on the 8 (over the hill).

Boneyard51 likes this.
  22. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

I hauled a 1957 Ford Thunderbird from SE Iowa to Colorado Springs on a U-Haul trailer with no issue. It pulled straight and couldn't even really tell it was there. I went about 80mph the whole way.

I figured I was the only one here that ran derby LOL

Casey Riley and Boneyard51 like this.
  23. Uhaul probably wonders why I am always hauling 64/65 Nova's, lol

Tman and Boneyard51 like this.
  24. Used one to pick up my 39. No troubles at all.

1939 Ford.jpg

MO_JUNK, ratrodrodder and Boneyard51 like this.
  25. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not a hot rod by a long shot but this little Nova followed me home from Spokane on a U-Haul trailer. Trailered like a charm. 7 hours, most at freeway speeds.
    upload_2020-10-26_11-17-31.png

Boneyard51 likes this.
  26. Uhaul didn't seem to have a problem with the '50 Dodge I was going to transport. I didn't mention the '23 T I was bringing back. They did have a problem with towing with my Jeep Wrangler jk, so I borrowed my buddy and his 3/4 ton truck. No problems either way... 0309191025.jpg 20190816_185641.jpg

MO_JUNK, ratrodrodder and Boneyard51 like this.
  27. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I tried to rent one and they refused to rent it to me. I have a Z71 Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton with a tow package, said I need a 3/4 ton truck. They wanted to rent me a U-Haul box truck to tow they're trailer.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  28. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Quick question while I have your trailer ears. I just bought this for $200 with new tires, registered, was a camper. I want to use it to tow my little Bantam if we take it somewhere distant. Want to lower it down. It looks like I could just drill new spring holes. Right now there's 4.5 inches between the U bolts and the frame. The leaf springs can go about 2 inches before they are dead flat. So you figure I could go up 2 inches on the holes? Figure 2,000lb. load with the Bantam, plywood and maybe a tool box.

20201026_112923_resized.jpg springs.jpg ban.jpg

29. spanners

spanners

Personally I'd set the trailer up with everything first and then worry about ride height. If you lower the trailer too much, every time you pull into a servo (gas station), the rear of the trailer is going to catch on the kerb.
    Also, I guarantee you will eventually add more gear to the trailer and therefore more weight so it will naturally sit lower.

blowby likes this.
  30. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Good point, thanks! Getting ahead of myself..

If I do drill new holes I'll leave the brackets long.