Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any creative ideas for tool box liners ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big Dad, Sep 30, 2007.

1. buford36

buford36
    from Maine

I don't know of any foam that worked that way, but when I was in the Air Force, and they started this total tool accountability deal, we got 2 different colors of closed cell foam, One layer went into the tool box drawer in one piece. the other piece, was layed on top, tools layed out and traced and then cut out with an exacto knife. So you had say, a yellow bottom piece of foam that would show up like a signal if you removed a tool from the top red piece of foam. Make sense? All I know is we went thru lots of razor blades,cause that foam dulled them real quick! Tom...

2. Cardboard. I put this in the drawers in 1980. Seems to work fine and is everwhere.

Attached Files:

3. 1931S/X

1931S/X
    from nj

i liek that one. i have that roll of tool box draw liner stuff, it sucks, i close the draws and the tolls push it right to the back of the draw, might as well have nothing. i used a can of duplicolor bedliner in a craftsman hand box with slide out draws it worked pretty good, did the job, but its expensive.

4. At Home Depot they sell some black vinyl carpet runner that's about 3 or 4 feet wide and you buy it by the foot. It's pretty cheap. It has ribs going lengthwise on the top side, and a textured pattern on the bottom side. I used that to line all the drawers of a couple of big toolboxes, mainly because it was cheap. If you put the ribs going side to side, the ribs keep stuff like socket wrenches or round handled tools from rolling around when you open and close the drawers. It never wears out. It's meant to be walked on. It doesn't get sticky or gummy even after ten or fifteen years in my toolbox. Grease doesn't seem to do anything to it. It's not the greatest thing out there, but it's really cheap compared to everything else I considered. You can cut it with scissors. The ribs make it easy to cut it straight too. The only thing I don't like about it is that it takes a while to lay down flat. After you weigh it down with tools and let it sit for a month, it lies nice and flat.

5. fomocochoptop

fomocochoptop

I find old Rubber floor mats in the Junk yard and cut it to fit the drawer.

6. I use pieces cut from corrugated cardboard ..

I get it in rolls from shipping supply store and cut to fit and lay it in w/corrugated "ridges" facing upwards so tools don't move around.
    it is cheap and long lasting.

I dont like rubber mat products because any dirt and fluids (oil,grease,varsol, etc) leave a mess or puddle on it.

I wash my tools w/varsol before stashing and w/cardboard they can be put in if still damp....the stuff is absorbant.

w/rubber mats a guy has to pull out tools and wipe mats clean all the time...and I hate the hassle.

so thats what I've used for decades...cardboard.

7. SquashThatFly

SquashThatFly

cheap thin industrial carpet with the ruber backing is what works best for me

8. wrench3047

wrench3047

I have undercoat sprayed in a couple of mine. One some of that spray rubber for stopping leaks. Not cheap thats why in only in a few drawers, works well though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

9. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

Some new Ford body parts come wrapped in a foam pad with a really tough blue vinyl bonded on. Works good.

Gary

10. Old thread...new solution. Found rolls of thin cork shelf paper at the local Farm and Fleet for cheap. Works awesome. Tears easily when you pull the backing off of it, but go slow. You can still stick it down even if it tears.

11. I got a Yoga mat for mine..and it's pretty blue!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. butchcoat1969

butchcoat1969

My girlfriend calls it dice- me it's in the kitchen ware department at Walmart we use it to keep throw rugs in place and work great in my tool boxes and it's cheap

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app HotRod Harry

13. JYPSEA

JYPSEA
    from Florida

Dust works well for me.

14. Dr. Remulak

Dr. Remulak
    from Phila. Pa

I used the 1/8 thick rubber runner ,25 years now. You can still .get it at lowes. image2.JPG

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. When I ran the prep dept for the Chebby dealership, I'd buy rolls of trunk liner material. It had that then popular "trunkliner look" and had either felt or foam backing depending on what flavor I was after.

Last time I lined one, I used a sheet of luan underlayment and cut it to fit. Never dry rots, slides or gets beat up.

So I'm happy with that.

16. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Construction paper from a hobby shop, like we used in school as kids. Big sheets, very durable, very thin, and cut to size with scissors. Got some in black to match the boxes, been in there for 10 + years, even the stuff in the hammer drawer is still in great shape- and takes up very little vertical space

C. John Stutzer likes this.
  17. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Vinyl flooring scraps , there's usually enough let from the average job to do most boxes+ it's free

18. southcross2631

southcross2631

Our local Rural King sells tool box liner pads. Comes in a box with enough to do 2 tool boxes for under 20 bucks.

19. stimpy

stimpy

20. DeerNut

DeerNut

21. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

A friend just gave me a 3 1/2' x 3 1/2' piece of that stuff. It's great. Doesn't move, quiet, tools stay put. Going to ask him for another piece!

22. Oilguy

Oilguy

I have been using the black mat material from Harbor Fright and I love it. It has never rolled up or moved and the tools stay put. I have it in two tool boxes. You have to practically pry the tools off the mat if they have been sitting over a few hours.

23. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I did the tool box in my construction materials shed with some 30lb. roofing felt that was already sitting there. So far so good but I don't use it regularly.

Cosmo49 likes this.
  24. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

In our Craftsman Steel Toolbox, we put in some tan felt in several small areas that held stuff that we did not want to get scratched or break. Spark plugs, points, connector ends, etc. The felt was the thin kind like from a crafts store and made the small section brighter than the darkish grey. So, it told us at a quick glance which section had to be taken care of when rummaging around.

Many years later, I used some green felt from a local hobby store to line several drawers of our slot car, wooden tool box/car holding drawers. The plastic bodies, clear and painted, were fragile. When we disassembled the slot cars at the track, the bodies went into their own drawers. They needed some protection from the constant maintenance times between races.

At the time, we had custom tube chassis parts also in another drawer lined with felt. It kept the tubing clean and shiny. So, when we made a custom chassis for sports cars or for the longer drag racing cars, the tubes were straight and clean.
    upload_2020-11-17_4-22-27.png

Jnaki

For ordinary tools, if it is noise that needs to be deadened, then heavy duty felt does the job. The only problem with that is when the tool usage is finished, the tool needs to be cleaned and wiped off, otherwise, the oil and grime will get on the felt lining. It does make it better and quieter when rummaging around for a tool or two. The slot car wooden drawers held the most pristine tools and shiny brass tubing for new chassis building to adapt to a new clear acrylic body. YRMV

VANDENPLAS likes this.