Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 32 ford coupe top installation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by my2nd40, Oct 25, 2020.

1. my2nd40

my2nd40
    from Tennessee

Looking for pictures, videos related to putting on a new vinyl top, or a description of how you did one.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. lake_harley

lake_harley

There was someone, about a year or two ago, who posted a whole series of photos on how he installed his. Quite ingenious, I thought, in that he attached the fabric fairly snug to a wooden frame that was large enough so it would completely drop over the top of the car. When he placed it over the opening in the roof the weight of the frame pulled the material a bit tighter so it could be nailed in place. Perhaps some searching will bring up the post(s).

I will admit up front that I've not installed a fabric insert on an old Ford to know if the method really worked well (although I have a couple Model A's that need inserts), but the method seemed to have merits.

Lynn

3. swifty

swifty

Go to the Julianos website as they have the instructions on fitting their style of top. I don't like their tops as the beading sits up too high and doesn't look right which is why I paid big $$$ to UPAC for an original style tack strip and got the rubber sealing strip from Macs.

4. On my coupe I bought the repop vinyl. Added the chicken wire. Fine style thenthe heavy cloth. Then the padding. Let the vinyl get warm and center it up on the roof. Start in the rear and tack on center then the front. If all is well got to the sides. Pull tight do both sides center. Then work around the top a little at a time. Also used regular vinyl top material when I changed to the white top. Did it the same way. On a sedan the wood frame will make all this easier.
    Didn't have the correct top metal frame so I used hide um welting.

my2nd40 likes this.

5. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

Juliano's tops look terrible and they stick up too high.. Also you have to drill new holes outside of the original tacking holes. If you can have a good upholstery shop do it and use UPAC tack strips. Get your tack strips first.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  6. clem

clem

7. 32 hudson

32 hudson

It says video is unavailable and private .

8. my2nd40

my2nd40
    from Tennessee

9. brady1929

brady1929

So is Juliano's the only option?

10. clem

clem

it didn’t use to be, so maybe email the original poster and try to get him to reload it on here.
    Possibly an internet thing ?