Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Looking for someone to drop an Anglia axle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AccurateMike, Oct 25, 2020.

1. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

I have a stock Anglia axle I would like to have dropped a couple of inches. I am in Maryland. Any recommendations for a shop that can do this ? Preferably in driving range. Thanks, Mike

2. -Brent-

-Brent-

@thunderbirdesq could be in range, he's in Williamsport, PA. So, like a 6 hour drive.

3. Bursonaw

Bursonaw

Texas Webb and AccurateMike like this.
  4. Fordors

Fordors

The two shops mentioned drop axles but are they set up to drop an Anglia axle? A smaller forging overall, narrower perch to king pin centers, and a smaller diameter k/p make me think it can’t readily be done.
    For the sake of the OP I hope someone proves me wrong.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I suspect that you are correct. All the modified Anglias that I know of have either Ford axles, or aftermarket tube axles.

lothiandon1940 and AccurateMike like this.
  6. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Texas Webb and -Brent- like this.
  7. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

Thanks for the leads ! Like Fordors said, I wonder what can be done with an Anglia axle. I'll be contacting folks to see if they can work with it. I want the look of the I-beam and I have Anglia spindles. It's going to be a small rod. I have been collecting small parts. I did the Google, everything is pretty far away. I thought the H.A.M.B. would be the best way to sort them out. I only have the one axle and can't afford to experiment either. Thanks again, keep 'em comin', Mike

32fenderless and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

No help, but watch this

lothiandon1940 and AccurateMike like this.
  9. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

I've seen that video. Great ! I have a coal forge and have dabbled in blacksmithing. The thought had crossed my mind... I can't afford the practice though. Relatively unmolested Anglia axles are a little thin on the ground in these parts. I think most of them ended up scrapped. Cool video for sure, Mike

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. 20201025_214037.jpg I'm thinking that trying to drop that tiny bit of an axle would not be a safe idea but I'm no expert. Most Anglia Gassers upgraded to a tube axle. Might be a better idea to have a tube axle made to fit your spindles.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    irishsteve likes this.
  11. goldmountain

goldmountain

Looking for a dropped axle for a car that is smaller than an Anglia. Should be more than strong enough.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

AccurateMike likes this.
  12. -Brent-

-Brent-

If you do buy aftermarket, contact @BCCHOPIT.

He can make an axle for anglia spindles. He's a great guy, too... incredibly talented.

If he's not around on the HAMB, let me know, I can pass his info on to you.

13. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

I've sent emails to those mentioned, and others. We'll see what they say. Some folks have mad skills. It's going in a ~1000# car. I need the small aspect and would like to keep the I-Beam sachet. I'm just looking for shops to ask. I'll post the results, if any. I'll bet there are more shops that drop axles that I have not found yet. Thanks, Mike

EDIT: BTW, it's not going in the Austin Ruby in my avitar. More like a sidevalve special. Think a Dellow for the salt.

14. I know Sid Drapal www.droppedaxles.com has dropped some other axles that aren’t the ordinary ones too. You might shoot him an email or call him at 405-416-3080 as well if you don’t get someone else that wants to drop it.

15. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

Yep, Sid is THE easy find on the Google. Email sent. (Actually, contact form filled out) Thanks

lothiandon1940 and guthriesmith like this.
  16. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Look fro a Crosley front axle. Has some drop but I don't know what suspension is planned.

17. rudestude

rudestude

I have a tube axle that I bought probably 35+ years ago and I have not found what spindle it uses...I have been told its Anglia.?.at the time it was to small for what I needed so its been hanging on the wall .
    The tube is 1 3/4" OD , the pin boss is 1 3/4" long and 1 1/4" OD , width is 48" pin center to center, pin bore is 7/8"
    didn't have my mic. handy so not sure of exact measurements... its a 3" drop...the closest spindle that I have seen is early Volvo.
    I have never had a Anglia one available for measurements. It originally had pads for parallel leafs but I was going with coil-overs so I removed them.
    If your interested I could take better measurements and pictures.
    If it will work for you...tell ya what...I was looking at your info to see if you were neer me...your not, I'm in Oregon..but I noticed your birth date..I will not reveal your personal info with out your permission but mine is June 2 1961 59 yrs. just saying...
    If you think you could make this work for you...its yours
    20201026_005638~2.jpeg 20201026_005832~2.jpeg 20201026_005839~2.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

I'm not sure what you have there. Probably not Anglia though. The Anglia axle is about 41 1/2" ctr to ctr, ~ 11/16" pin bore, pin boss is about 1 3/4" tall & 1 1/4" OD. Sounds pretty close, just a bunch wider. I appreciate your offer ! BTW, our production dates are only 1 day apart :)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  19. Fordors

Fordors

B6D0962C-CD11-4D39-8CFE-3E93C4951649.png Dimensionally I would say @rudestude has an axle that was made to use Anglia spindles but being 48” it is for a FED or an altered. Early on P&S Engineering (1960’s?) produced stouter copies of the Anglia spindle that used bolt on steering arms and even today the Anglia dimensions are still used in drag racing. Strange Engineering has them for example.

20. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Cut the 48" one narrow it, and sleeve/ rosette/ weld it back together?

21. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

Goldmountain might be able to use it, narrowed to fit his Ruby. Do the aftermarket Anglia spindles use a beefed up pin ? If rudestude's bores are ~.875", you would need to find kingpins and bushings to match. The Anglia I have couldn't be confused for 7/8", the holes are puny. (.687* " on my Harbor Freight caliper). I have not heard back from anyone about dropping mine yet. It's still early. Mike

22. Have you asked @jackandeuces ?
    He's bent a lot of Ford axles & spindles- including mine- and his process was featured in the last Rodder's Journal. He's in Hampton, VA. IMAG0189-1.jpg spindles 01.jpg

23. Fordors

Fordors

Strange k/p is .688, I overlooked that @rudestude said he thought his k/p bores were 7/8”. Sorry for the oversight.

AccurateMike likes this.
  24. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

Just Gary, thanks, Message sent. Fordors, in my perusing the web for Anglia spindle/axle stuff i think I recall seeing Ford spindle swaps to beef up the spindle diameter and open up better brakes and wheels on Anglia axles. Could be something like that. The boss is the right size. I think it's unique blend of dimensions is what lead it to sitting for so long. Maybe someone here has been looking for it.

Just Gary and lothiandon1940 like this.
  25. Jesse at Old Soul Hotrod Shop in LeRoy NY dropped the axle in my '41 and did an outstanding job. Straighter than it was from the factory, he's extremely particular. Does lots of other good work too.

26. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

Thanks Big A, message sent.

27. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

Bravo Old Soul. First to reply (last asked). Unfortunately, he's set up for Ford axles and to build a jig for 1 Anglia = $$$. Still looking, but that was a great lead!

28. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

29. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

Mike I responded with PM... I would suggest calling Magnum Axles and have them make a Axle and width you need and use ford spindles ...

30. ^^^^Mike, take this guys words as gospel^^^