Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects DRAG SNAKE "Vintage Terror!"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuced Up!, Oct 13, 2017.

1. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Don't worry Jackson, Randall thinks that Dodge is pretty Bad Ass! Not unbeatable! But we all think it is Bad Ass!! Larry

2. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Well Larry it was good enough to win the competition coupe class last weekend at the rumble drags I just rowed the gears through all the competition lol

Chrome don’t get ya home

3. loudbang

loudbang

Well crap that is some bad news but at least you didn't spread it around. :(

4. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Had a excellent weekend at the Fall Out Drags Jackson, and I think that my 2nd best time slip will have a Bulls Eye rash coming your way. :D:D:D:D

5. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Look after yourself
    and get well soon,
    I’ve really enjoyed following along with your build and look forward to seeing it on the track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Hope your doing Okay Randall. And all you other guys take care also. I want all you guys healthy and your cars ready for Fallout #6 September 17th and 18th 2021! The 17th is my 66th birthday and the first round of the champagne of bottled beers is on Me! Hell maybe two rounds!;);) I don't buy very often lol Larry

7. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Good news! I was starting to worry about Randall so I PMed him and he did have the virus but he is okay now and getting better. But when he said he was homeless he meant it , he was sleeping in his truck or at the shop till his boss found out and SHE made him stay at her place! lol Probably looking to get a "raise" for being such a dedicated employee;) . But now we have to wait for spring so he can spank Jackson's butt! Larry

8. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Larry there is still test and tunes through November as long as the weather is good it still could happen lol

Chrome don’t get ya home

9. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Thought you broke your shit and pulled the plug, don't make me come down there and help you fix it with my infected ass. :D

10. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I’ve been of this site for a while, just found out about your Mom, James! Sorry for your loss! My Mom turns 97 this December. Can’t visit her much due to this bug.
    I missed the race this year. Hope next year is better for all of us!

Bones

11. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Now James be nice. Randall told me Jackson broke on his first burn out at the race, but I said I would not tease Jackson about it for a week or so but that Randall could! Give Randall a chance to build up his strength . After all he's been sick recently!;) You can pick on Jackson all winter! It is not like any of us has anything better to do! lol Larry

12. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

James I did break the yoke off the rear end however the yoke I had on order but didn’t show up in time arrived today so now a 1350 joint and this forged yoke should do the trick those cross breed joints and stock mopar strap kits won’t hold up to all the mopar muscle lol

Chrome don’t get ya home

enloe, Deuced Up!, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  13. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Jackson sounds like you need a { I want to say FORD 9inch lol} but I like DANA's too!

enloe, Deuced Up!, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  14. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Larry I have a Dana 60 that will be swapped in this winter but for now the 8 3/4 will have to do the last afx car I had did have a 9” and It was always broken too lol so it’s Dana 60 time

Chrome don’t get ya home

15. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, I am alive. I think I am just about 100 percent. In retrospect, I actually worked the entire time I had the stupid stuff. It was only after confirming I was positive that I left work. I slept for three days straight. It really knocked the wind out of me, probably because I unknowingly worked through the whole thing etc. But I am back home now and I fit in the Cobra much better...LMAO!

I feel bad we didn't get the chance to blow the doors off Jackson's little red wagon, but we will get around to it one of these days. LOL

enloe, Tickety Boo, Nostrebor and 8 others like this.
  16. loudbang

loudbang

WELCOME BACK we missed you :)

enloe, Nostrebor, Thor1 and 1 other person like this.
  17. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Good news, my wife has tested positive and showing some symptoms after an outbreak at her work.

enloe and loudbang like this.
  18. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You know for 95 percent of people it is just like the cold or flu. No big deal. It is that small percent with health issue that it really hits hard. Or Morons that try to keep working etc. Take care of her James. We will keep a good thought. Let me know if there is anything I can do.

Sent from my SM-G970U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Nostrebor, loudbang, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  19. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Thanks Randall, as you say it acts like a bad cold or mild flue.

enloe, Deuced Up!, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  20. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I am glad to here you are back and almost 100%! Gary:)

21. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Worried about you. Glad you are back.

22. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

99.9% sure I had it before they knew what it was. Still short winded sometimes. Glad you made it through OK, been missing my Cobra updates!

Deuced Up!, loudbang, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  23. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Glad you’re back and alive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well it has been a while since I have had any time to post here on the HAMB. We have spent the past few weeks thrashing on my daughter's Riviera. I promised it would be ready to go to the NSRA Nats here in Springfield this year and we made it by the skin of our teeth! But we made it. We took Dad's Coupe and her car and had a blast!

Resized_20201017_071025.jpeg
    The Cobra stayed home awaiting its debut this next month at the Indoor Hot Rod Holidays car show, also at the Fairgrounds in Springfield, MO. We are using this show as a trial run for Daryl Starbird in Tulsa this coming February. AND...we are still hoping to hit MOKAN before it closes for the winter to make a few passes.

However today my daughter and I worked on the floor for the indoor shows. The company I manage spent several years working with Swiss Tracks Flooring. We created graphics printed and routed out of thin Lexan, routed the Swiss Tracks out and installed the logos to customize the flooring. We have done it for Jay Leno, for Mecum and Barrett Jackson etc. We got out of it a few years ago but had a pretty good stash of floor tiles still in stock. A few months ago our owner decided it was time to get rid of them to make room for additional materials and asked if I wanted them!

The tiles are 15.75" squares. Today Zoe and I inventoried them. We had around 85 Charcoal, 60 or so Silver, 25 of what I would call Peuter, 7 black and 15 white. I have other colors but these we felt really worked together well and would make a cool floor design for the show display etc. Our up coming booth spaces are 20x20 but after doing the match we did not have enough tiles in our chosen colors. So we went with a 13x13 tile square which with the 3" outer lip put us just over 17.5 feet (squared) close enough LOL!

It took some doing. I first designed the 13x13 layout in photoshop and then we played around changing the colors of the squares and carefully watching our inventory number to create something uniform. After several attempt on the computer and one pretty big edit on the floor of the shop when we found someone (not mentioning any names) miss counted the Silver tiles, this is what we came up.

Resized_20201024_124235_720898188834684.jpeg

Resized_20201024_185404.jpeg

Now FYI...I do have several of these new tiles that I am not going to use that are red and blue. If you check on them they normally sell for around $8 per square. The squares are 15.75" square and I have 52 red and about 75 blue. If anyone is interested, PM and I will sell them for $2 each.

Resized_20201024_161006.jpeg
    Tomorrow we are building our own Drag Strip Christmas Tree for Show Display. I will update
    on that little project soon.

25. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have been planning on building my own Drag Race christmas tree for a while to take to car shows. I have been gathering parts for it now and then over the past several months. This morning we started the fabrication process and I am pretty happy tonight. It really started about month ago when I was working out on photoshop what it would look like. Now I realize we are not exactly period correct but I wanted the tree style that I remember but maybe with a vintage track name etc.

Our tree will be a pre-stage and stage with 8 little yellow light bulbs and then three ambers the greens and reds. Here is what it looks like on paper.
    TreePlan.jpg
    I had to go to Lowes on Friday and you will not believe what I walked by on my way to the insualtion isle? Guttering. I just happened to look up and saw these perfect 10' sticks of white PVC guttering. They looked just like the center section.

Resized_20201025_171106.jpeg
    The cool thing about this guttering it is exactly the same shape on both sides. I pulled a piece down and had a good a look. It was absolutely perfect. Then I checked the price tag...$8.99. You know what they say, "You Couldn't Build It For That!" LMAO!

Resized_20201025_171114.jpeg
    Yesterday after laying out the show floor at work, I decided to cut and install the graphic text on the upright. As I was cutting the first 50" off the guttering stick, it occured to me this stuff would be perfect for the two cross pieces at the top as well. So I cut them to size and lettered them all...Photos coming!

Resized_20201025_170920.jpg
    This morning, with the bolt on pieces complete, I needed something to bolt them to. I started with the feet. I took a few pieces of light angle iron (bed frame) and created a very sturdy 3 leg stand. After clamping them together and confirming their placement I marked and cut the feet area so they sat flush to the floor. Then we clamped them together and tacked them pretty hard.

Resized_20201025_170951_15623341744142.jpeg
    I didn't get any photos of the next step to get the pole in place. Basically the legs all came together at a point. I sat a hole saw (the same diameter as the pole) on the top and marked around it. Then I took the plasma cutter and traced the line. It took a couple follow up passes but before long I could drop the pole down and through the center of the legs. We carefully leveled it checking for plumb on all sides and then I quickly tacked it in place. When we were happy I simply filled in all the holes and gaps with weld making a very solid joint. I also welded a couple of mount plates the one above and a second one higher up to mount the up right cover.

Resized_20201025_170957.jpeg
    After testing fitting the up right cover and measuring off of it I welded the piece of angle in for the stage lights. We then could take the final measurement up to the pre-stage lights area, mark and cut the pole to the final size.

Resized_20201025_171031.jpeg
    The lower (stage) angle is welded in place. The cover will have an 1.5" hole drilled in it top. It will simply slide down on the pole and sit on the angle. As you can see in the above photo, the top angle (pre-stage) has a bolt in the top. After cutting the pole, I welded a washer inside the pole with a nut welded to the back side. This will allow us to drop the stage cover on and then bolt the top cross member in place and drop the pre-stage on it.

Before installing the upright cover, we marked it for the light socket placement and drilled the holes first with a pilot drill, 3/8" and then the final 3/4".

Resized_20201025_172232.jpeg

Resized_20201025_172217.jpeg
    Belive it or not, the hole was such a perfect size that the sockets actually screwed into the hole. But just be sure they stay in place, we did install the crown nuts on the back side.

Resized_20201025_172244.jpeg
    We have a coroplast back or cover that slides in place and covers all the wiring and pole on the backside.

Resized_20201025_172211.jpeg
    Dad doing supervisor work this afternoon. LOL ...but we all sat around and enoyed the view for quite a while this evening.

Resized_20201025_180428.jpeg
    The final touch is an .040 aluminum cover for the legs. It will be on all three sides and really completes the base. All we have to do now is take it back apart and paint the inner structure etc

s-l640-1.jpg
    The bulbs are all on the way. They are standard looking flood light bulbs but are LED. I also have this little thing coming as well. It is a traffic light controller. It is for guys with traffic lights in the shop that want them to work as standard traffic light etc. This one controls six functions. So if all goes well, I can turn on the prestage, then the stage, then drop the sportsman three amber light count down and then the green etc. And then it will repeat. We shall see!

As I said in the opening paragraph. I am pretty happy tonight!

26. Cool post. I have wanted to build a 5 amber chrismas tree for a while.

Tickety Boo, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  27. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I printed my Snake Pit signs today. We are going to have it in one corner of the display with my M&H Slicks and a few wrenches scattered around...

20201027_201544.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G970U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  28. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sancho, enloe, chryslerfan55 and 3 others like this.
  29. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sancho, enloe, chryslerfan55 and 4 others like this.
  30. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You still have time to paint them all. :D

enloe, Thor1 and loudbang like this.