Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Transporting a Hotrod with a U-Haul Auto Trailer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zooming46, Oct 25, 2020.

1. zooming46

zooming46

Curious, has anyone rented a U-haul full size auto trailer (2,100lbs) to transport a Hotrod weighing approximately 3,000lbs. If you have, was it a good or bad experience?

Thanks

-Brent- likes this.
  2. I hauled my avatar with my OT Ram pickup on a full size U-haul trailer. It tracked straight and was hardly noticeable behind my truck. If I can find it, I'll add a pic of it on the trailer.

zooming46 likes this.
  3. I've done it. Never had an issue at all.

zooming46 likes this.
  4. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_0429.JPG

Not quite 3000lb (2200ish) but I thought it towed great.

Phil

5. I've used a UHaul auto transporter several times for my '40 Ford Tudor and my '66 Chevy C-10 and couldn't hardly tell they were back there. Great car trailers!!

6. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

Pulled my 34 from Crown Point IN on one . 6 hours one way. Very smooth indeed. Pulled a 39 chevy sedan from Kansas, 7 hours one way. No problems except the rear of the Chevy overhung the trailer by more than I liked. Was nervous about it, so I bought a 20 foot car hauler. Take it easy as they are surge brakes and will behave a little differently than traditional electric trailer brakes. Also carry you a couple of good tie down straps for the rear of the car, it will give you a little more confidence.

7. alumslot

alumslot

I tried to rent one and told them what I was pulling on it a 41 chevy for my friend and they wouldn't rent it to me NOT ON THE LIST OF CARS to haul.

slim38, trulyvintage and TagMan like this.
  8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You mean your buddies 2014 Toyota Corolla?

9. alumslot

alumslot

Yea that's the ticket :) :)

Blue One and RICH B like this.
  10. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Helped a friend pull a 51 Plymouth (3200 #) from DesMoines to Syracuse with a rented F250 and a U Haul trailer. No issues except for a bit of air on a frost heave on I 90 south of Rochester,NY. Two day rental on the truck unlimited miles. And 24 hour one way on the trailer.

11. Landmule

Landmule
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have pulled my 47 Mercury from Wyoming to California without any problem. Those Uhaul car haulers are heavy duty and track very straight. I’ve also used them for several OT car hauling projects.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

12. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

I've rented UHaul car trailers several times for hauling derby cars. They are good trailers.

13. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

I did it with my 46 ford coupe. Good trailers, good price.

14. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

I bought a 33 Pickup in Oklahoma, didn't want to listen to my empty trailer rattle around for 2,000 miles, so I opted to rent a one-way trailer when I got there. They tow great, are fool-proof and you barely even know it's back there.

ratrodrodder and -Brent- like this.
  15. Boatmark

Boatmark

I’ve done several cross country runs with them. Everything from 46 Tudor, to several OT C3 Corvettes, to my daily 5-Series. Never an issue.

ratrodrodder likes this.
  16. scotts52

scotts52

I've used them numerous times to haul a variety of vehicles. The one thing I don't do is tell them the actual vehicle. They would tell me it wouldn't work. So.. I would go to a different Uhaul and tell them something more modern. No more issues after that. Always say it's something like a 92 Toyota extra cab 4x4 pickup. Evidently there are 2 different trailer lengths. You always want the longer of the 2.

17. -Brent-

-Brent-

I've used them a bunch of times.

Here's a pic from this past summer, somewhere in Nebraska.

Because this car isn't running, I brought a winch to pull it up. It's a real simple unit that has a bracket to run a strap or a chain through. Hook it to a12v power and you're good.

Model A Hot Rod Coupe  Coming Back Home in Nebraska.jpg
    Model A Hot Rod Coupe  on Trailer Coming Back Home in Nebraska.jpg

I had to go back and dig this pic up... this the chassis I started with. I actually bought the winch before this trip because there was no way I was getting this up on the trailer without it.

Chassis Heading Home.jpg

18. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

That's a bitchin Coupe.

-Brent- likes this.
  19. OzyRodder

OzyRodder
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_1548.JPG
    From Melbourne to Brisbane Australia. No issues and about 1775Km.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

When I unexpectedly bought a1965 Ford station wagon near St. Louis, I rented a u-haul trailer and towed it to Muskogee,with no problem. And it was just a few dollars more than a tow dolly, which was my first idea, but I opted for the trailer. Would do it again in a heart beat. My car was close to 4000 lbs.

Bones

scotts52 likes this.
  21. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Hayward, CA to Hereford, AZ - about 925 miles. 1962 Volvo PV544 (about 2,200 pounds), pulled by a 1986 Ford F150 with a 4 cylinder Cummins diesel (NO compression braking). Due to a mud slide, we got re-routed over the Grapevine (major climb and descent on I-5) and through Los Angeles (I-210 avoided the major traffic jams).

Flawless tow - speed limit on the Grapevine for towing is 35 mph - I managed to pass a few SWIFT trucks on the uphill climb. Was worried about the descent, found the right gear (3rd on a 5 speed transmission - if I remember correctly) and 35 MPH was about 2,000 RPM (with my foot off the throttle). The trailer brakes worked nicely and only an occasional application of the truck brakes was needed.

Another time, the F150 failed a driveshaft U-joint, was in Flagstaff, AZ, about 320 miles from home. Rented a U-haul box truck and auto trailer. Another flawless tow off the mountain (I-17) and through Phoenix.

Russ

22. jockeyshift41

jockeyshift41
    from Florida

Hauled my 52 F2 from Long Island to Florida non stop with my OT Ram 1500. No problems at all. Hardly knew it was back there.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. atch

atch

Long story extremely abbreviated:

MAKE SURE THE SURGE BRAKES ARE IN WORKING ORDER.

Jackknifed a brand new Suburban pulling Clarence on one. Could have killed 4 people and totaled two vehicles. Fortunately vehicle damage was repairable, seat belts prevented physical injuries, and Nitroglycerin pills prevented another heart attack. U-Haul paid for all the damages. 'Nuff said.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    R A Wrench likes this.
  24. southcross2631

southcross2631

U-Haul trailers are all I ever used until I recently bought another trailer.
    I towed a 39 Willys sedan from the U.P. of Michigan to Crystal River Fl. .
    No issues, would use them everytime. I like the drop fender, makes it easy to get in and out of a low vehicle.
    Just moved my sister back home from Fl. to Michigan and towed a uhaul trailer with her O/T suv loaded on the trailer. Ran 70-75 all the way. Didn't want to dead head my trailer from Tn. to Fl. and then from Mi. back to Tn. so picked the trailer in Fl. and dropped it off in Mi.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  25. catdad49

catdad49

No problems here, about 300 miles to get the A home. Rented both truck and trailer and rained almost the entire trip, 600 miles total. 23876AD3-40BE-4989-A726-30D153288265.jpeg

26. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Towed my friend's OT 77 Trans Am from St Louis to Somerset Pa with one. Brakes seemed a bit weak, but towed just fine

27. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Having rented many U-Haul car trailers few items that I found useful:
    1. Make your reservation on-line, so that you can adjust the vehicle (you cannot tow with a Jeep with a soft-top and not all cars are listed-so if it is not listed you might not be able to rent ).
    2. Get the cheap insurance, I think it is like 8 bucks a day.
    3. Check the straps, chains, and hitch, don't depend upon the U-Haul kid to do it right.
    4. Make sure that most of the weight is in front of the trailer axles.

28. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

I used one,it was a good experience,it was easier for me to rent it one way,saved hauling it both ways.i "hauled" a 2010 corolla:rolleyes:, it was the closest thing i could find on the list of cars they allow.There are lots of independent dealers,so it shouldnt be hard to get a one way ticket if that works for you.Make sure your tow rig is in good working order and youll be fine.

29. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Also, the U-haul dealer I used, stayed late and work with me to get me on the road! He was so good I sent U-haul an e-mail complementing him. U-haul sent me back an e-mail thanking me and telling me it would be put in his record!

Bones

ratrodrodder likes this.
  30. Yep. A couple of times.
    Tows straight, brakes work good
    Reasonably priced
    No complaints
    Chappy
    IMG_20180209_192615391.jpg

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020