Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Floor pans Pontiac/Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mark Halley, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Mark Halley

Mark Halley

Does anyone know if 1940 Chevy pans will fit a Pontiac? I have a Special 6 Business coupe 40-2527B. Fisher body No 1234.

2. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

That era Pontiac shared a good number of suspension parts with Olds. That may a useful direction to explore too?

3. Mark Halley

Mark Halley

Thanks! I'll try, but floor pans for a Pontiac are impossible to find

4. I’ve asked the Chevys of the 40’s this same question regarding GMs A, B & C bodies. Even though Chevys, Buick’s, Olds, & Cadillacs shared the same styles, the wheel bases where different as well as the floorboard, bracing and other sheet metal. You could asked them regarding your vehicle, but was told they won’t interchange regarding my 47 Caddy.

5. Mark Halley

Mark Halley

That's what I was afraid of! Especially the bracing. Thanks

6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

In 1940 I believe GM introduced:-
    • Short wheelbase 'A' bodies (Chev, Olds and Pontiac);
    • Intermediate longer wheelbase 'B' bodies (Olds, Buick, Cadillac, Pontiac); and
    • Long wheelbase 'C' bodies (Olds, Buick, Cadillac).
    My 'B' body 46 Olds 76 is the same platform as other GM marques (Buick, Caddy, Pontiac and Buick) however has a different firewall, other idiosyncrasies and pressings. A friend has a 47 Olds 66 convertible ('A' body) and used Chevy rust repair patches as it's also an 'A' body.
    I can't locate my references however I'd suggest that a business coupe is a smaller 'A' platform with shorter wheelbase than longer wheelbase 'B' bodies
    Screenshot_2020-10-26 p007-018-CarModelInformation pdf.png

Mark Halley and VANDENPLAS like this.
  7. Try looking into Canadian pontiacs.

not sure if your year, but 49-54 Canadian sold pontiacs where just American chevies with fancier interiors and trim.

8. Sporty45

Sporty45

Having just gone through floor repairs on my 47 Olds I can tell you that the floorpans are different enough from Chevy's that I finally bought a bead roller and just made my own, as there are no floorpans for an Olds that I could find. I suspect the Pontiac ones are probably in the same boat. Like mentioned, the big difference is in the floor support mounting. Also, the trans tunnel cover is much different from Olds to Chevy as well

9. Mark Halley

Mark Halley

Thanks everyone. The reason I was hoping to find some kind of fit was for the floor support and braces. I can't find anyone making floor metal for the 1940 except toe boards. Does anyone know of a place that makes them?