Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest H.A.M.B. member question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by homey chromey, Oct 25, 2020.

1. homey chromey

homey chromey

Earlier today (Sunday I posted for a wanted part for a 62 Chevy. A member Alex22 responded and gave me an email of someone with the part. The email don't seem to be a good email address. ([email protected]). I checked for HAMB members also and can't find this member. Has anyone else dealt with this member. Alex22 It smells a little fishy to me. If this is a upstanding HAMB member I do apologize.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. flatford39

flatford39

smells fishy....probably a scammer.

3. I agree on the scam, the wanted section seems to run amok of them, you would think a person would have a dialogue with you before just tossing out emails.

jim snow and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. Scammer. Probably wanted you to pay with gift cards or Bitcoin.

If these A-holes would put half the time and effort into a legit job instead of this scammy bullshit, they'd be well off. I don't get it.

Yeah, flip him off and tell him to go piss up a rope. :p

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020

5. It seems to match the MO of previous scammers who have joined to do hat he has done so far. Did you search the member list? I would ignore it.

hotrodharry2 and AndersF like this.
  6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

this is always a scam, always report these so the Mods can ban them before they can get anyone else. there have been countless threads on this same subject......

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I got sucked into only ONE scam thru our HAMB. (called it a 'HAMB SCAMwich'!)
    My favorite reply to this guy would be "Suck Rope."

GordonC, ZZ Top Chop and VANDENPLAS like this.
  8. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

9. atch

atch

Alex22 - member since today. Zero posts.

The moderators (Moriarity, et al) are really good but even they can't catch every one of these.

Report, report, report.

10. If you ask me 98% of GMAIL accounts are scams I will not answer or email them

11. I was thinking the same thing, mentioned it to my 20 year-old, who replied that lots of younger people use Gmail, since most people no longer have an ISP and it's attending email accounts. Of course, she's in college getting an education to start her chosen career, so she doesn't have much time to run scams on people....aside from her dad, of course :p

lothiandon1940 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. adam401

adam401

Ive had a gmail account forever. Ive never heard of it being a scammer thing but I guess it makes sense

kidcampbell71 and uncleandy 65 like this.
  13. When posting a wanted advertisement remember there are thousands of unscrupulous people that take advantage of guys frantically looking for a certain part, more often than not it' s a hard to find or rare part and they are betting on you getting excited about it and dropping your guard.

A conversation from a member that joined today is a huge red flag, you did the wise thing by asking and saved yourself some grief and money. HRP

14. I must be one of the 2% gmail users that is not a scammer. HRP

j-jock, GordonC, VANDENPLAS and 3 others like this.
  15. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

I quit answering any Want adds on here. They treat you like your trying to scam them just because you have a G mail account.

swade41, VANDENPLAS and wraymen like this.
  16. Wrench97

Wrench97

The same can be said of any of non-ISP services, @yahoo.com, @live, @hotmail, @outlook, and several others.

17. I like scammers.

But then again, I also like mosquitoes.

And poison ivy...

18. alchemy

alchemy

I have a gmail account. I can understand how since they are free people might think they are all scammers. But some of us are legit.

19. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My main email is gmail. I am over 70 so that makes me feel like a young scammer:)

20. Mimilan

Mimilan

Joined yesterday
    0 posts.

When in doubt...........back out!

upload_2020-10-26_12-32-6.png

hotrodharry2 likes this.
  21. NAT WILLIAMS

NAT WILLIAMS

Go to Craig’s list Florence S.C. guy from Dillon sc always is selling 62 impala parts.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  22. LOL

Come on dude. Gmail is a Google based email system. Now pertinent to Android based phones, which are all Google/Gmail oriented.

I've had Gmail for a decade plus. Probably closer to 15 years.

There are 900 million Gmail users, with 75% of those as their mobile cellular service email system.

Anyhow .. you made me laugh. So thanks for that !! :D Take care & God bless !!

23. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

watch out for sam22 also

24. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

As mentioned, if a new member tells you to send an email to someone not on the board, it's a scam. There's been a rash of this sort of thing all over the internet, I'm a moderator on another board and we're having to delete them every day.

25. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

I think I 'd go another direction instead of sam22, too close to scam22.
    Sent from my SM-A102U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  26. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

What part are you looking for ? Lippy

27. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Me too. How big a percent are we now?;)

lothiandon1940 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3%

I have had a few GMail accounts, since it was introduced.

My only scam seems to be buying parts, not using them, and then sending them to people at my expense and for no charge.

29. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I’ve got a gmail email too, but seldom use it. I prefer my aol email that I’ve had for years. And I can access it on my pc at home or on my Android phone.

pprather and chryslerfan55 like this.
  30. I have also have a G mail account for about 10 years now, Do I use it NO. It was forced upon me when I got a android phone thru sprint(was told it was MANDITORY to get). I have had my Hotmail account for more than 20 years and that is my primary account. YES at one time Hotmail accounts was the goto scammers account, Was several years before my account was acknowledged to be legit. so I was using the ISP account and the hotmail account till things got legit.
    I sell stuff on Craigslist (AKA CrackHeads list) from time to time and EVERY bogus do you still have reply is from a G mail account Reply to such and such @gmail.com. Also if you read the scams that are tried here on the H.A.M.B> there also from Gmail accounts.

When posting ads in the WANTED section people do your due diligence RESEARCH and see if that account was just created or if has been around for a while, When you hover your mouse over there name/avatar and it looks like this..
    upload_2020-10-26_12-32-6.png

REPORT IT IMMEDIATELY ! DO NOT RESPOND TO IT ! And this may help to try and keep the scammers out of this forum..(keep in mind that the 1 in a 1000 maybe real DOUBTFULL but maybe)
    If they ask you to email another person @gmail,com then you KNOW IT IS A SCAM !

And to the few like @HOTRODPRIMER @kidcampbell71 and a couple others that may use gmail. If I teed you off I apologies I think you can get my drift about my comment when you advertise something and get flooded with scams from gmail accounts.