Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical (found) Wheel bearing help central Minnesota

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Oct 23, 2020.

1. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I have said it before Jim is the car guy we all wish we where. Driving all over the country in Gosh knows what and having a blast doing it! I have not seen a Tempest transaxle rear end since my dad bought a 1962 wagon back in 1968 and Jim drives that contraption from Arizona to Minnesota and finds a replacement axle in a junkyard! The car guy God's love this man! lol Larry

2. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

You guys wore undertaker garb in the hearse.

Tell me your in spacesuits.

3. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I really would like to see some pics of that thing ....... er ........ HOT ROD driving down the road.
    ANYBODY???

chryslerfan55 and The 39 guy like this.
  4. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

I'd love too see it taking corners on a road course.:D I found it on his profile. I had no idea that's what he was driving.
    http://selectric.org/77wedge/index.html I was just poking fun at @squirrel to start with but in a way i'm glad i posted the picture because it probably made him easier to recognize when the guy stopped to pick him up to take him to his shop.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  5. It was posted earlier in this thread......

Stogy likes this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

This is another LeMons Rally. Same folks that put on the 24 hour races, but it's not a race, and the rules about the cars are quite different. Starts in Chicago monday morning, ends in Santa Monica (the end of RT 66) on Halloween.

Anyways, after I got the car working this morning, I headed straight to my uncle's house in Minneapolis, and visited with their family, as well as my mom's older brother. I hadn't seen those two cousins in a long time, it was fun catching up a bit, and meeting their kids, too.

while I was there, I pulled the other rear axle part way out, and popped the seal of the bearing, and pushed some grease into it. I think it will probably get me home.

I'm in southeast Minnesota for the night, then heading to the windy city area in the morning

7. Budget36

Budget36

And nobody mentioned anything about finding a nut with winter coming? ;)

Safe travels

Woogeroo, wraymen, catdad49 and 4 others like this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

I already know I'm the nut. Even though I'm also the squirrel. :)

9. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Does that "sports car" have a good heater?

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I that car doesn't have a decent heater you might want to invest in a snowmobile suit. You might even find one at a thrift store in that area.

catdad49 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  11. bchctybob

bchctybob

I believe the proper uniform for this adventure is a silver Mylar jump suit and an upside down red flower pot for a helmet.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hemi Joel, J.Ukrop, belair and 12 others like this.
  12. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

13. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jim's got a Wedgee! or is it Wedgie?Have fun Jim.

14. Did the cousins say WTF? when you drove into their driveway!?:D;)

15. ..............Superman wears Jim Forbes underwear.:D;)

16. squirrel

squirrel

They knew I was coming, they've been following the adventure on fb. A few of the neighbors did the double take, though

I have a great heater, it's one I made from a heater core and a couple computer fans. Sits on the floor in front of the seat, blowing at my feet. Although I need to modify it, I need a valve to control the water flow, so it's not so hot.

Its the same heater we made for the LaSalle two years ago, somewhere in freezing New Mexico.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  17. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a great rally, and a great looking car as well. I hope that you are at least taking some good pictures along the way, and possibly some GoPro footage as well, if you have one. It would be cool if jnaki could meet you at Santa Monica and get some good footage of the car in motion, and do a good, ( historical ) write up on the car and your adventures with it.

18. Was at the Lemons website. Looks like host hotel, gathering point in Chicago area is a closely held secret.

Stogy, squirrel and lothiandon1940 like this.
  19. pitman

pitman

Never attempt, to advise a Squirrel. (Answer often soon to be revealed)
    I was remembering a '60's Ford flatbed we learned to drive in.
    Had a 1/4 (quarter) turn valve that controlled heater liguid flow. 'Course, so would vice grips, or a C-clamp, in the same neighborhood.

Nostrebor and squirrel like this.
  20. pitman

pitman

Waiting on the 2021 model :D
    Wrap around wind-screen, and a floral vase on the B-post!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  21. Google "Route 66 Lemons Rally" if you want to see if Squirrel is headed your way, in case he needs any more help.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    Stogy and catdad49 like this.
  22. ...I'm sure of lot of us guys would like to know more about that "car",..I know I would, (not that I want to build one or want one like it!)...reminds me of the one in the Back to the Future movie, altho completely different....maybe by the end of the rally, we can get more info.

Stogy, pitman and squirrel like this.
  23. sunbeam

sunbeam

To late to the game many times I have cut a hole in a 1/4 plate and welded it to what is left of the inner race put it in a press it remove it.

chryslerfan55 and pitman like this.
  24. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I remember a wedge shaped electric car sold in the 80's. Kind of reminds me of it.

Gary

Stogy likes this.
  25. squirrel

squirrel

the Citicar has been mentioned to me by a few other folks.

More fun today, got to Chicago area and visiting a friend from previous Rallys. We went on a little shopping trip in his later model daily driver, got rear ended, totaling his car. No one hurt.

Well, in the morning head get registered for the Rally and on our way to St Louis.

26. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Just my luck! You guys are going to be in Tulsa, Tuesday , 40 miles from me! But I’m leaving Tuesday morning for Farmington, NM to pick up a vehicle with my son! We might see you guys on I-40 near Amarillo , Wednesday. Maybe!

Bones

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  27. .............Well that sucks. Glad nobody was hurt.

chryslerfan55, Stogy and pprather like this.
  28. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Glad you're back at it and really happy no one was hurt in the crash. Be safe out there, Jim!

Stogy likes this.
  29. Getting rear ended in Chicago is nothing new. Back in the 1990's cab drivers were reading maps while driving into the backs of other cars. I was white knuckled driving a OT Taurus rental through there. Be careful!

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  30. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Jim,

Assuming you are passing through Springfield, MO on this one (the birthplace of Route 66!)... feel free to drop a note if you need anything!

Boneyard51 and lothiandon1940 like this.