Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Corvette hot rods - picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KING CHASSIS, Jan 1, 2011.

1. 24FD3311-9FB9-43EE-BDD4-81675DC5DE70.jpeg
    Grand Sport 003, from the book ”Corvette Grand Sport” by Lowell C Paddock and Dave Friedman.

2. elgringo71

elgringo71

3. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Is this a hot rod Corvette? No idea, I know nothing about it. I took the photo
    eleven years ago and didn't see the owner. I'm pretending it has a beefed up
    283 with a four speed. I dig the car just as it looks so I didn't bother to try
    to clean it up via editing.

IMG_4895.JPG

Stogy, 32SEDAN, UNCLECHET and 12 others like this.
  4. Over the years I’ve had several 409s, IF i still had one the ole 57 would have one between the fenders.

5. jimdillon

jimdillon

Jason I would like to know how well the 409 did. Certainly has a cool factor.

31hotrodguy, loudbang and elgringo71 like this.
  6. Boodlum

Boodlum

[​IMG]
    Kaspar, this was Jim Hall's car. It was originally Mecom Zerex Blue before Hall repainted it white. I worked on it when John Mecom first owned it (along with 004 and 005, the Alan Sevadjian and Delmo Johnson Grand Sports - and some say 001 and 002, the Wintersteen and Thompson Grand Sports). As a John Mecom car it was also driven by Augie Pabst, John Cannon and Walt Hansgen. Penske co-drove it with Hall at Sebring and Nassau.

The same car in 1963 behind Augie Pabst, Walt Hansgen and John Cannon
    [​IMG]
    The other car in front of the Mecom transporter is the only Lola Mk6 GT (predecessor of the Ford GT40) to escape Henry Ford II. That car has its own story - Ford corporate lawyers and accountants in a warehouse on Houston Hobby Airport trying to strong-arm John Mecom Jr. into selling it to Ford. Henry Ford II - the Deuce didn't get it.

Same car at Nassau 1963 - (Bahamas Speed Week). Left to right - John Mecom Jr, Augie Pabst, Roger Penske, Dr. Dick Thompson and Jim Hall.
    [​IMG]

Same car at Nassau the following year painted white when Jim Hall owned it - Jim Hall and Roger Penske co-driving.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  7. noboD

noboD

Thanks Boodlum. The Grand Sport is a very special Corvette, you are a lucky man to have worked on them.

8. jimdillon

jimdillon

Boodlum, I second what Doug stated. We all appreciate your input on this thread. I am a fan of the Grand Sport for sure but not sure how successful it was or would have been if it had been allowed to be developed properly by GM and allowed to run as a production car (which of course would have required more than 5 cars). When I talk to my Cobra friends their impressions of the car are different from the Corvette faithful and the truth may lie somewhere in between the two camps. Still fun to follow it and your experiences with the cars.

9. Very interesting to see old tech, especially aerodynamics. I never understood the use of those integrated parachute mudflaps, at lease when i could understand. They would be in the fronts of the tires these days.

10. Boodlum

Boodlum

Fender flares met tech requirements. We copied the flares on Delmo Johnson's Grand Sport Corvette when we built the "factory racer" Vetta Ventura for Delmo's older brother Tom Johnson.

Tom Johnson driving the Vanguard Corp. Vetta Ventura factory racer at Green Valley Raceway:
    Buick aluminum V8, Buick suspension, Italian body by Intermeccanica, styled by Franco Scaglione and pure American hot rodding. Also note the Johnson brothers preference for race number "1".
    [​IMG]

11. Boodlum

Boodlum

noboD, got to work on Grand Sports 003, 004, 005 and either 001 or 002. The latter car was at Lee Miller's shop Performance Incorporated on North Lamar in Austin TX in 1971. I don't remember the chassis number, we were in a hurry. It was one of the two Grand Sports that Duntov had brought back to Chevrolet R&D, tops cut off and engines swapped for aluminum big blocks. It was either the Wintersteen or Thompson car. Later read Penske bought it - from a pic parked in front of Dick Guldstrand's shop in LA. Dunno the story behind that tho'.

12. noboD

noboD

I touched the Wintersteen car in the Simeone Museum. My finger still feels funny.

13. Boodlum

Boodlum

Here's George Wintersteen's factory upgraded Grand Sport, chassis 002. One of two re-built specifically to compete with Carroll Shelby's 427 Cobra
    [​IMG]
    a $10 million dollar car
    [​IMG]

At Watkins Glen dueling with a Porsche 906 driven by Peter Gregg (#56 Brumos Porsche). Wintersteen finished one place ahead of Gregg.
    [​IMG]
    Also Watkins Glen - George Wintersteen behind the wheel
    [​IMG]

14. Boodlum

Boodlum

A short video of 1963 Nassau road race. Several Mecom Racing Team cars and drivers including Grand Sport Corvettes.
    The "Unknown Man" talking to Pedro Rodriguez and A.J. Foyt is John Mecom Jr.
    The "Masked Man" is Dave MacDonald. Dunno who wore the Viking helmet, but he's one of Carroll Shelby's crew. The Original Venice Crew OVC would know, maybe Jim Marietta.
    Bob Holbert with the Shelby King Cobra is mis-identified as "Dave MacDonald".
    Here's MacDonald and Holbert at Daytona:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  15. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

my only regret is that I can only hit like once

16. Dave Gray

Dave Gray

I was working at the Sebring race in 1965 as a safety worker. At the time I was a dyed in the wool Ford enthusiast. (Sorry) The several Grandsports that were running there were several
    years old and may not have had any Factory support. As my memory serves me the Cobras
    had no problem controlling the GrandSports in the turns or on the long straight away.
    It was the only time that I saw any of the Grandsports run and they didn't impress this
    Ford fan. Several years later I did Convert from the dark side and have not regressed since.
    tt

17. Boodlum

Boodlum

So you were there for The Flood! Here's Delmo Johnson in 1965 - his Grand Sport led the first lap ahead of Pedro Rodriguez's Ferrari and Richie Ginther's Ford GT40.
    [​IMG]
    Sebring 1965 was like a family reunion for Texas teams - five Texas race teams I remember.
    [​IMG]
    Pardon the Italian narration. Winners in 1965 were Jim Hall and Hap Sharp driving the Chaparral 2.
    Watch the start and see one of Delmo Johnson's famous rocket ship starts where he passes everybody for the lead.

"The Twelve Hour Grind" - five parts and the best video of the 1965 Sebring race

18. noboD

noboD

I only got to see Pedro race one time, at Watkins Glen in I think '69. I have never heard anyone shift a transmission that hard . I was sure the clutch went out but I found out later that was just the way he drove.

19. loudbang

loudbang

20. Boodlum

Boodlum

Pedro Rodriguez was the finest driver in the rain there ever was. Ayrton Senna was good but Pedro Rodriguez was better. A lot better.
    Someone said "If you want Pedro Rodriguez to go faster, tell him it's raining."
    Pedro Rodriguez rain-dance getting past Vic Elford at Brands Hatch
    [​IMG]
    Rodriguez locking horns with Jo Siffert at Spa-Francorchamps. And Eau Rouge waits just ahead. Team manager John Wyer stopped breathing at this point.
    [​IMG]
    Pedro Rodriguez and Denise McCluggage at Daytona - my favorite female driver - her A.E. Housman epitaph is mine. The arm resting on her shoulder belongs to Stirling Moss. The face leaning in from right is Innes Ireland who, among other cars, drove a Ferrari 250 GTO for Tom O'Connor from Corpus Christi TX.
    [​IMG]

ETA: Gonna post a whole pic. It's too good.
    [​IMG]
    standing from left:
    Five-time World Champion Juan Manuel Fangio
    Stirling Moss
    Denise McCluggage
    Pedro Rodriguez
    Innes Ireland
    Carroll Shelby
    seated:
    Ronnie Bucknum
    Ken Miles
    Dan Gurney

Back on topic...

21. WOW! Thank you so much for the all the info and amazing photos!!

22. Did not realize how much i liked radiused wells on the C2 till now.
    The blue one seems lowered ad well, maybe that’s why.

31hotrodguy and loudbang like this.
  23. Deuces

Deuces

24. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Somerset, KY 10/24/2020. Old build that has been well maintained. Said to be a 70s paint job. 20201024_152251.jpeg 20201024_152239.jpeg 20201024_134852.jpeg 20201024_134934.jpeg 20201024_134944.jpeg 20201024_134907.jpeg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. Deuces

Deuces

It's missing 2 tail lights.... :confused:;)

slowmotion, Moriarity, enloe and 2 others like this.
  26. Deuces

Deuces

27. wicarnut

wicarnut

I have always liked Corvettes, IMO they represent the state of the art of the high performance car of American manufacturing. At different times in my lifelong car addiction I gave thought to buying one more than once and just never got around to it, something else got my attention and money. OT the new generation is "Tits" in my book 60K coupe or 67.5K convertible base price is a deal, never say never. This thread is great, I've driven/rode in every generation of vette there is and like all our cars they have come a long way. A lot of beautiful modified vettes here, enjoy looking at the pictures of guy's dream machines.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  28. loudbang

loudbang

Sad news about Mr. Laws his many cars were always near the top of the class. :(

enloe, Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. loudbang

loudbang