Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I finally got an injected 1961 Corvette !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31hotrodguy, Sep 24, 2020.

1. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Adjustments.JPG IMG_2575.JPG
    I’ve wanted one for yrs!

I left a note for my family that says “if I get knocked unconscious transmission stays with me because I’ll probably never afford one again!”

Vetterod, I read your comment about losing 3/10’s with the tremec. Is it because of the synchro’s that slows down the shifting with these?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

j-jock, -Brent-, shortypu and 4 others like this.
  2. There are ways to improve the shifting on the tremec. I’ve got something saved on my laptop. I don’t know what it says to do lol,I’ll try to post it tomorrow. I’ve got one in my 56 belair, so i’m curious about it as well.
    1DBD46E9-F5B2-4B9C-B81A-FF8C77FADDBF.jpeg

catdad49, j-jock, elgringo71 and 6 others like this.
  3. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Thank you! Yeah a hemi road runner would be nice but they my the corvette look cheap! She went for a one owner (family friend) very original factory red 340 swinger. It is definitely fun to drive!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app[/QUOTE]

Great choice. Don't want to derail this thread but of you don't mind to PM me some pics that would be nice. I love those little cars and the 340 is a great package in the A-Body Mopars.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  4. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Back to the Vette. Plans to restore the Fuelie setup or going back with the speed shop additions? Love vintage header applications, if they are still.good any plans to reuse?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. 6sally6

6sally6

Take it from a FoMoCo guy (who LIKES;) 61-62 and especially 63 split windows Vettes) 3rd tail lights look wacky on 61's.!:eek:
    Jus throw'in out there!:)
    6sally6

6. vetrod62

vetrod62

I think the slow shifting is that there too much rotating mass for those synchro's to slow the gears to engage the next gear. My TKO-600 was from Keisler with the shifter off set to the to go through the stock location. maybe that modified shift was also a problem Finally, the 2-3 shift was awful. One out of 5 shifts would hang up on that 2-3 shift. I was shifting at 7200 to 7500 rpms.

I read Scotty Ts tko article and see where those mods should help. Looks expensive. I expect shifts to very fast and sound like an automatic. Installing a TKO in one of these cars is no simple thing. I prefer unbolting the engine moving it forward 6", install the trans, slide the engine unto the trans. Jim

7. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

lumpy 63, scotty t and loudbang like this.
  8. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Vetterod, that is good know. I was planning to install the engine and trans as one. We will see how that goes.

loudbang likes this.
  9. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

My normal inclination is to get excited about a project, take everything apart before I get replacement parts. I think I did good this time. I actually waited until I had the parts!
    IMG_2586.JPG

Last night we took our time removing petrified radiator hoses and everything topside to pull the engine and trans.
    I’m still waiting to clear a spot inside the garage. Fun stuff

Block is a 657, nothing exciting.

Attached Files:

10. I like those valve covers and is that a Say “why and” intake?

31hotrodguy, enloe and loudbang like this.
  11. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

6sally6, that will work out just fine....I tend to dwell on the wacky side!

loudbang likes this.
  12. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Whyyyy yes it is. . Sadly the valve covers have to go back to the previous owner.

Moriarity, scotty t and loudbang like this.
  13. Ir's a Corvette engine, the pic proves it!

14. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

Don't need to make a cup, just an "L" bracket will hold them in place,. Just make sure you get the right lights, they are all different. I'll try to get a picture and part # tomorrow if you want, let me know. And the 3 lights look fine...unless you are overly anal about symmetry.

31hotrodguy, loudbang and scotty t like this.
  15. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

McJim, thanks. I was wondering if I could use just a bracket, kinda like how gauges are mounted?
    Yes if you have those part numbers that would be great.

loudbang and scotty t like this.
  16. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

It's yours, but............I thought you liked this car. Don't chintz on it. Do it right . Make it look like someone cared and had some pride in their work. Rather than Bubba was here.

17. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Adjustments.JPG
    One of the kids found one of my old car books and this picture fell out. I must have been 12-13 yrs old when I drew this. “Little Scotty was different than the other boys in his class. “

18. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

That's pretty cool, you got what you drew later in life! I was drawing pictures of Annette Funicello and ended up with Rosy Stuffelbean .........................

19. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

loudbang likes this.
  20. C1/C2Guy

C1/C2Guy
    from Utah

Hey Scott, How is your car coming? Any progress?

31hotrodguy and loudbang like this.
  21. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Sadly not currently. I’m over horsing around in South Carolina for my wedding anniversary. Definitely a fun place!
    Should be back home soon. I ordered more parts just before I left so hopefully once I’m home I can start having fun with the car again!

jimdillon, C1/C2Guy and loudbang like this.
  22. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Vacation in South Carolina was nice but we’re excited to get back to the 61! Dropped the aluminum flywheel off at the machine shop and now getting everything under neath ready to pull the engine! Adjustments.JPG

catdad49, enloe, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  23. Pop Chevy

Pop Chevy

I run a TKO 600 and it works well for me. I did have the shift mods done and it will shift just as fast as the Super T-10 that I took out. There is however a technique you need to get the 2-3 shift right, with a little practice you will not miss again. I would never change back and love the 5th gr on the expressway. You made a good choice.

enloe, 31hotrodguy, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  24. vetrod62

vetrod62

Good God I hope you are correct. I guess you are referring to my posts on the TKO-600 earlier in this thread. Mine was a Kissler unit. And all shifts were too slow. I expect shifts to be in hundreds of a second. Basically as fast as my arm can move. The 2/3 was just a straight forward push, as defined by Kissler. What were the mods?? I also loved the gear ratios, but will not give up ETs.

enloe, 31hotrodguy and loudbang like this.
  25. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Vetterod,
    If I remember correctly you are running a Muncie behind your combination? How has the Muncie held up behind your engine and hard abuse? The picture of your 62 with the wheels up is pretty impressive?

enloe and loudbang like this.
  26. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

This ladies and gentlemen is a 1961 corvette transmission cross member and it had bolts with square nuts holding it in! It is surely designed by the devil!
    We are definitely not in TriFive Chevyland anymore!!!! Adjustments.JPG

Elcohaulic, enloe, scotty t and 2 others like this.
  27. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Adjustments.JPG IMG_2787.JPG
    Finally after all these years I bought a load leveler! My 17 yr old said “Dad this was so much easier than the other engines we’ve pulled!” Great, now I spoiled him! Lol Adjustments.JPG

catdad49, enloe, scotty t and 3 others like this.
  28. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

enloe, kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  29. vetrod62

vetrod62

Thanks, I was running the M-22W and switched to the TKO-600 for reasons of highway benefits. The M-22W has been a reliable for many years. I up graded my intake and made the engine pick up 100-150 HP and 2500 more rpms. AND broke my reliable M-22W first gear. But what a huge difference in power. I fixed the trans, and now will have to reduce traction to stop breaking parts. I do have a plan. Jim

enloe, loudbang and 31hotrodguy like this.