Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Rigid, flaring tool no. 345

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by sloppy jalopies, Oct 24, 2020.

1. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

anyone have or use one ?

2. Ridgid makes quality stuff so no issues there, but this type of flaring tool can be a PITA to use in some places, and a certain amount of skill is needed to get good flares. The double-flare die for brake lines can be a bit fragile, I've broken several of them.

More money, but as close to idiot-proof as you can get....
    https://www.amazon.com/MASTERCOOL-72485-PRC-Universal-Hydraulic-
    Transmission/dp/B06WD86RLH/ref=psdc_15707271_t1_B01NCYKQSN

Worth every nickel to me, and I've loaned this out a few times and gotten nothing but rave reviews back. Eastwood makes a cheaper similar unit but theirs is bench-top unit only, the hydraulic can be used on the vehicle in some cases if need be.

3. Yes, I have one. Good for flares, not good for bubbles.

4. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

I have a Rigid 377 that I use on 37 degree AN flares, I find it works great and has a ratching feature that as soon as you form the flare it stops from going too far,
    I use mostly 1/4" 304 SS tubing with back up sleeves so no double flare capacity. I have flare the new style copper/ steel tubing and it works great.
    I believe I bought it from Home Depot for around $115

5. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I have a 45 and 37 degree , Rigid flare tools . Mine were made years ago in the good ole US of A . Never one is sure to date .

6. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

this tool has the 3/16" fraction stamped into the unit but they never milled the half holes on each side... it says 3/16" but...
    no worries, they stamped the fractions a certain distance apart...
    but milled the gripping slots closer together as the holes got smaller... 1/4" is stamped beside the 3/16" hole... 3/16" stamping isn't beside any hole...
    gonna be fine...

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020