Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Speeding up the shifting with a 3 on the tree

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Oct 23, 2020.

1. There were several of us that did that back in the late 50s, and it worked quite well. I don't recall seeing any Fords that were converted to a left hand shift, but it was an easy conversion on the Chevy trucks.
    I was running a 54 Buick selector type tranny, and even though the column shifter was tight, speed shifting was questionable at best. I converted to a vertical pattern floor mounted shifter, and the shift from first to second was a pull, and the shifter was spring loaded to make the shift to 2nd very fast. The limit to the speed, was getting the selector lever to move positively.
    Bob

Elcohaulic likes this.
  2. RmK57

RmK57

I machined aluminum bushings to tighten up the linkage a stock column automatic. It's a 57 Ford with a 514 BBF, C-6. It worked somewhat better, but was always still a little sketchy in all of the 2 upshifts. I eventually threw in the towel and went to a floor shifter. Funny enough it only went 3-4 tenths slower by just leaving it in drive.

loudbang and j-jock like this.
  3. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

The "D8" (1978) pickup unit is thicker, especially where the shifter goes in, than on my original '64 fairlane unit. But both are zinc alloy, and I don't know how interchangeable shift collars are on Fords.

loudbang likes this.
  4. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

very popular mod in the old days. also freed up room for the girlfriend!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  5. Starlinerdude

Starlinerdude
    from Washington

Another thing to check is the internal tube but this will require pulling the shift lever out and looking down into the socket to see the top of the tube where the tip of the shift lever engages it.There will be a doubler plate welded to the tube that has a socket for the tip of the shift lever,if this socket is worn it will cause extremely sloppy shifting,if this is the case you will have to replace the tube that entails removal of the column and complete diassemby.If someone makes a replacement doubler plate you may be able to just remove the steering wheel and shifter cup and access the top of the tube and remove the old doubler and weld the new one on,but thats dependent on the tube being in good shape on the bottom end.The 63 and later ford column shifters weren't as easy as the earlier ones to repair and even when in good shape didn't feel as positive as the earlier shifters in my opinion.P.S.The collar that holds the turn signal switch will come off there are 2 nuts that when removed will loosen the Tee bolts that fit into slots in the outer tube of the column,once that is off and the shift lever is pulled out the shifter cup should pull off.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    ClayMart and loudbang like this.
  6. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I had extra parts a few years ago but I had to make that 3 speed column into one for a floor shift and who knows where those internal parts went to,probably went in the scrap pile since I thought there was no way I was ever going to use a 3 speed on the column again.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Starlinerdude

Starlinerdude
    from Washington

It wouldn't surprise me if someone made that doubler with the socket.

8. dwollam

dwollam

Why would a 3 spd O/D floor shift be any different than a standard 3 spd?? O/D was electric solenoid with a lockout cable. Nothing to do with shifting gears. Ran a regular floor shift in my '61 Falcon with 312 Y block and O/D for years and had a toggle switch for O/D. When 1st built I ran a Ford-o-matic using the pot metal (not aluminum) column 3 spd shifter to stir the automatic. Those column shift collars were junk! My girlfriend yanked the column shifter out one time and chucked it out the window while we were driving! Had to walk back and find it. :(

Dave

9. The linkage bushings are probably worn out, replace them where the linkage meet's the column and where the linkage meets the transmission, that will tighten up most of the play. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  10. I may be mistaken but I think the only difference between the automatic and manual shift collars in these years is the automatic version either has or has a provision for a pointer to indicate what gear you're in. You'll need to pull yours apart to see. Mid '60s to late '70s ford trucks used the same collar, so they're still available.

What happens is the pin that hold the lever in the collar wears the holes in the collar out, sometimes enough that the lever comes out. You used to be able to buy a 'sleeve' that hammered over the existing collar to bring the holes back into alignment with a long roll pin that took the wear rather than the aluminum collar, but I haven't seen one in years.

11. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

The question is, unless there is a need to shift faster, why do you need to do this? Do you race the Merc? If not, then just enjoy the standard shifting and road trips in your car. Stick shift transmissions are always fun to drive. But, unless there is a definite need like speed shifting, it is just fun to move a column lever or a 3 speed floor shift lever into the next gear.
    upload_2020-11-4_4-17-9.png White ball, designates in reverse.
    In our 1958 Chevy Impala, the white ball high up was a signal that it was in reverse or looking forward, second gear. Shifting the 3 speed for racing was an exercise in quickness and coordination. It could only be done with practice and more practice. The methods vary with each driver, but practicing is the key. A heavy duty clutch has to also be taken into account.

It definitely is easier to drive a 4 speed stick shift on the floor. When we put in a 4 speed in my friend’s 57 Chevy bel air hardtop, it was so much fun to drive. My friend got so good at shifting that it sounded like an automatic when he was going down the road normally, just for fun, or a full on acceleration run on Cherry Avenue. When we exchanged cars several times for a different feel, his 4 speed was as fun to drive locally and on the acceleration runs. Not that a column shift 3 speed was irritating or not, but the smooth 4 speed lever on the floor, just made it that much more fun to drive.
    upload_2020-11-4_4-18-20.png
    My 1940 Flathead powered Sedan Delivery had a 3 speed LaSalle transmission with a long lever. That was fun to drive and was unusual among the column 3 speeds. But, speed shifting? What for, the Flathead was so under powered, it was laughable. But, reliable to no end… 1000s of trouble-free driving all over So Cal for cruising and surfing road trips.

Jnaki

The 3 speed column was fun to learn on and get better driving on a daily basis. I even tried to teach my mom how to drive a 3 speed column shift in the 58 Impala. That was a historic moment in our hot rod years. She could shift easily, but as little as she was, 5’2” she could not keep the heavy duty clutch in very long and popped the pedal out, causing a bucking bronco effect on the initial take off. But, her shifts between gears were rather smooth. She just did not like the idea of coordinating the shifts at every stop light. The days we were on the road were not the most fun in the Impala.
    upload_2020-11-4_4-19-5.png
    So, she said she would like an automatic transmission put in the Impala, so she could drive the car. Well, that threw a wrench into the whole picture… But, wait, a C&O Stick Hydro was an automatic transmission, wasn’t it?
    upload_2020-11-4_4-19-41.png

Elcohaulic likes this.
  12. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

This one just seems to take too long to shift and can not get into second very fast,at first before I adjusted it I had to almost go into reverse before I could go to second. The column will most likely need to come apart and there are some rubber in where the rods attach to the column that probably needs replaced after 55 years.

jnaki likes this.