Register now to get rid of these ads!

home made tools and equipment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jan 16, 2008.

1. atch

atch

A good friend of mine died several years ago. In his casket his fingernails looked just like that. Crazy that seeing your pix reminded me of him.

loudbang and 64 DODGE 440 like this.
  2. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

May we all go out with grease under our fingernails.

3. most of us here are have grease under our nails everyday. Couldn’t get it out if we wanted to. I’ve had that since I was 15. I had it when I got married, holding my son right after he was born, and I will till I’m gone. Hot Rods are my religion.

Hansa1100, fauj, stanlow69 and 3 others like this.
  4. Not much of a tool; I wanted to cut a bunch of sorta equal sized pieces of shrink tube for my wiring project. Usually just snip pieces by eye; but some always end up uneven. Thought I would try something different. A paint stick broke up and taped together made a giz to slide & chop a bunch of even pieces quickly.
    IMG_20200805_190244 (Medium).jpg IMG_20200805_190331 (Medium).jpg

Paulz, vtx1800, thintin and 18 others like this.
  5. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Sorry if this was already posted.

Cheap Axle bearing remover:

24” 5/8-11 threaded rod
    2 - 5/8-11 nuts
    2 large washers
    2 larger washers
    1 Borrowed slide hammer

EB3C18A3-6B32-44E9-AB5E-932354F93A64.jpeg
    This is for use with an axle that the carrier has been removed.

1) Remove the seal from the axle
    2) The outside end of the tool needs to be loaded
    3) Push an end of the threaded rod into the axle, add the washers and thread on the nut
    4) Pull the tool against the bearing and use as a slide hammer

RMR&C, juan motime, JOYFLEA and 2 others like this.
  6. Another crude; but pretty useful "tool"; I've had around and used for years. Hole sawed a 1-1/2" hole in a chunk of 2x4, then sawed half of it free. Holds a Ford column securely at any angle without crushing it. Add a rag to protect a column in finish paint.
    Also have piece with a 3/4" hole for working on steering shafts.
    column tool.jpg

7. Stolen from YouTube with permission. A bolt shortening tool. Thread the bolt through to expose the excess, tighten the nuts, cut the stub with a bandsaw or hacksaw.
    20200906_170156.jpg

ekimneirbo, The 39 guy, 56don and 7 others like this.
  8. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Years ago I bought a tubing bender, being on a budget I only bought a few dies. Over time I have needed more but not enough to justify BUYING them...so what's a fella to do??? Well if you're a Cheap Bastage like me - you make 'em. It goes like this: I "needed" a 1" die...which after all said and done left me with some extra pieces which I then modified into an 1-1/8" die...waste not want not. Yes it is interrupted by having to make a tool for the lathe to cut the radius...for the FIRST die. The second die...well you'll need to see the pics to see how I opened that up. I hope you enjoy.
    bend1.jpg bend2.jpg Every good project starts with a chunk of scrap steel. bend3.jpg I made this so I could more easily cut a radius - crude but effective bend4.jpg Radius cutter bolts onto a regular tool holder bend5.jpg bend6.jpg bend7.jpg bend8.jpg radius cutter - slow going but works great bend9.jpg bend10.jpg Looking good bend11.jpg If you drop these just right you can get them to break right where you want them! bend12.jpg Chips! bend13.jpg Done! bend14.jpg Scrap aint always pretty
    bend15.jpg Wipers (made a couple extra)
    bend16.jpg 1" Die set COMPLETE! But WAIT! There's MORE! Remember that extra chunk we had left over? We gotta do SOMETHING with that RIGHT! Let's see I don't have a 1-1/8" die in my set... thing is I don't have a face plate big enough on my lathe to open this slot up from 1" to 1-1/8" hmmmmmnnn have Bridgeport Will Travel!
    bend17.jpg That's bolted pretty good.
    bend18.jpg I did find a 1-1/8" endmill - this should make things easy. bend19.jpg Endmill worked like a dream!
    bend20.jpg Finish is pretty good too.
    bend21.jpg 1-1/8" die is done - off to the wiper die!
    bend22.jpg The piece of scrap that just keeps on giving!
    bend23.jpg Remember those "extra" squares we made - yep they came in handy! Touched them with the endmill and viola good to go
    bend24.jpg Pair of wiper dies in all their glory. bendheart.jpg Here's a birthday present I made for the wife from some more scrap - and if the WIFE'S happy - there's always more time to work on the cars!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  9. Mike Rouse

Mike Rouse

I built a parts washer with a barrel. I put a thick plastic bag in it. I added about 8 inches of water at the bottom. The dirt falls in the water and does not mix with the mineral spirits in mine. The pump is above in the mineral spirits.

loudbang and ekimneirbo like this.
  10. Maybe not exactly a work tool; but I never had a good place to keep tape rolls convenient and in good shape. Grabbed a couple racks out of a junk stove. Cut the depth down, welded on some pieces of 1/8" pipe and screwed then to the bottom of one of my cabinets. Worked out good. Took the other rack and made it deeper for sleeves of sandpaper.
    rack 1.jpg rack 2.jpg

11. Mart

Mart

Nice rack. Nyuk nyuk.

Great job with the scrap too, in the tube bender dies.

12. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Modified these vice grips of an extended reach.
    20201019_160941 (1).jpg
    20201020_122146 (1).jpg

13. Cool, good idea

loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.
  14. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

One "tool" that I have found very useful in the garage, is simply a 2 ring, kiddie inflatable pool. It works perfect
    whenever you need to drain your radiator or change out your thermostat housing, etc. I simply blow it up, but not
    all the way, and scoot it under the front end of my car. It fits perfectly under tie rods, and between the tires
    without having to jack the car up. When done, simply pull it out and put the liquid back if you are re-using it.
    No more mess on the garage floor! Catches any spills that you can't prevent.

Happydaze, Boryca, ebs121781 and 10 others like this.
  15. Oilguy

Oilguy

A very simple holder but better than clamping a distributor in a vise.

Attached Files:

Rex_A_Lott, chrisp, RMR&C and 13 others like this.
  16. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Ever have your aerosol nozzle plug up? Does it drive you NUTS like it does me? Here’s my solution: just so happens this old air gun has the perfect sized opening. A little burst of air while you hold the nozzle in place works near every time. Stubborn ones I soak in thinner then try it again. WARNING: If you have a tendency to Lick Glass, Trip over your own feet, Own but do not wear Safety Glasses THEN this tip is NOT for you! Move along as this is definitely NOT OSHA approved. Do not try this without proper training and PPE (Safety Glasses)!!!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  17. Sporty45

Sporty45

Damn, you just solved a problem for me! I just got a points distributor that I need to disassemble to clean and inspect. I was planning on just clamping in the vise between 2 pieces of wood, wasn't real happy with that but your solution is much better. :cool:

Oilguy and loudbang like this.
  18. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Screw OSHA, that looks like it's definitely approved in my shop. I probably have 5 or 6 non-approved air nozzles already, but that's a great idea. I think I'll just custom drill one to fit and dedicate it to the rattle can shelf.

19. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Easy To Make For Removing Rusty Door Hinge Pins... IMG_6446.JPG

20. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

They usually clog when I'm in midspray on something. I just grab an aerosol can of carb cleaner and insert the little red tube in the bottom of the nozzle. Instantly cleans it..............

21. I have been blowing the spray nozzles out for approximately thirty years, using the air duster. It works like a charm.
    Bob

Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  22. Those air hammers are really handy for all sorts of odd jobs. I had to remove some concrete in my garage, in an area too tight for my electric jack hammer. I used the air hammer, and although it took a little longer, it did a beautiful job.
    Bob

VANDENPLAS and loudbang like this.
  23. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a jar of lacquer thinner on the shelf full of nozzles off spray cans. Nozzle clogs, take one out of the bottle and stick it on, keep spraying.

alchemy, loudbang, fauj and 3 others like this.
  24. atch

atch

Yep; me too.

Right next to the jar of marbles removed from rattle cans.

loudbang, fauj, j-jock and 2 others like this.
  25. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Good to know you haven't lost your marbles.

loudbang and caseywheels like this.
  26. I use this when butt-welding sheet metal. Take a small piece of your MIG wire and form it into a 'bow' and slide it over one piece of the metal, it keeps the parts the proper distance apart and has the bonus of being consumable and you're pretty much guaranteed to have the material to make it in your welder.
    20201025_124732.jpg 20201025_124615.jpg
    20201025_124656.jpg

Plus I hate using these... they work, but are a pain to get the panels the correct distance apart.
    20201025_133841.jpg

bobbytnm, The 39 guy, 56don and 3 others like this.
  27. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

Well, I didn't make this but it's a pretty simple "how to".
    You should really own a 13 MM impact socket. When you encounter those stuck or rusty 9/16 headed intake or exhaust manifold bolts, just take a hammer & make that socket fit!
    P1012507.JPG
    I revisited a desirable intake in the salvage yard that someone had rounded off 2 bolts while trying to remove. That $200+ intake went home with me instead ;)
    P1012506.JPG

28. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Sometimes it’s as much as getting creative than just the tool

Attached Files:

29. gatz

gatz

Good thinkin'

loudbang likes this.