Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 60's Era Street/Strip Model A Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by -Brent-, Aug 1, 2019.

1. it all looks great man! I assume Seret lives near you now?

loudbang likes this.
  2. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That rake looks wicked.

3. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

4. bchctybob

bchctybob

I had a single row of louvers punched in my aprons. Enough to break up the slab look but not so many as to be obnoxious.
    I sure like that dash Brent, I combined a top like a ‘33-34 with a ‘32 bottom trying for a different look. I like yours better.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. -Brent-

-Brent-

I haven't. Because every area has some change/modification, I try to use restraint.

In my mind, it will all make sense when the car is finished. There will be areas that lean toward being overstated and I want them to stand out.

When I look at the front apron, the shape currently feels a bit stark because those sides are so different than stock. But, when everything is painted, the car is going to get panel-striped. And that, I believe will highlight the shape without making it stand out.

I had considered a row of clamshell louvers on the fenders, I really dig that look.

Thanks for the compliment on the dash. I really appreciate it. It's one of my favorite areas of the car. After seeing @MR. FORD 's dash, many years back, my mind was made up to do something similar but make it my own and fit it to the 60s.

Here's Mark's dash on the top compared to mine:

35-36 Dash in HOT ROD Model A Coupes.jpg

My goal was a 1960s version of his. Still, that image of his dash is one of my favorite photos. I think @JESSEJAMES took the pic. What's funny is when I picked Mark's brain about the dash and he's like, "I just cut it so it fit and put it in." Haha.

6. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Slick modification to the splash apron, I dig that.

loudbang, Thor1 and -Brent- like this.
  7. Bugguts

Bugguts

Man, that front apron looks sooo much better! I really like the look.

Thor1, loudbang and -Brent- like this.
  8. -Brent-

-Brent-

Thanks a bunch, guys!

9. -Brent-

-Brent-

Filled in a hole in the base of this unknown, diamond shifter stick. The bottom hole may get trimmed off and a new hole drilled nearly in the spot that is filled. We'll see where things sit when I get around to making the offset bracket.

I'm waiting on my drill press motor to come back from the repair shop before making the bracket. Hopefully, they can get that old 1940's motor back in shape.

Diamond Shift Stick Repair .jpg

10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Thankfully anything from the 40’s is almost always save-able

11. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Except for maybe a 3 pack tin of prophylactics under a model a “rumble” seat?

Oh, and sweet diamond stick by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Probably work as well as they ever did lmao

13. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

What an awesome build thread!! Gonna have to spend some time on this one!

14. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Looking Great!

15. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bret, I have no clue how I could have missed this build thread, but all I can say is WOW! Just read it from page one and I´ll have to go back and re-read it. You built a perfect Hot Rod.

16. -Brent-

-Brent-

Thanks, Boxcar! Looking forward to yours, too!

Thanks, VA! Much appreciated.

Wow, Baumi! Thanks for your time. That's a lot in one sitting. Thank you for the compliments, too.

17. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry Brent, I just saw that I skipped an "n" and called you "Bret".That´s just my 10-thumb way of typing. I´m all in for 60s style, but I ´ve never or rarely seen that drag car approach. Most 60s style rods seem to be show rods ( dig them too and tried to build one myself), but that mean fu**er you are building really struck a chord with me. And your build quality is top notch, in every way, fabricating, engineering, creativity AND style. There are not many builds that get all of that covered.
    I´ll shut up and watch now.

18. A little at a time, nothing wrong with that. Looking great Brent.;):)

19. -Brent-

-Brent-

No worries about the name! I've been called Bread, Brenton, Brock (that one stuck for years), Brennn, and a few deserved and unfavorable words. Haha.

This car will certainly have its show-rod details but it is a dual-purpose hot rod. Some of my favorites from the 60s were that way.

Thanks, Mike! I'm putting an hour a day into the OT garage mate of the coupe. Once it's finished and mobile, the coupe will be the only one in the shop and I can really dig in. I'd really love to have this car mostly done and on the street by the summer. I need a chrome fund!

20. I hear ya Brent. It took me a while to get what little I have on my coupe in chrome . My engine has lots of polished aluminum . I like her to look as good as she runs, and I actually enjoy polishing stuff. Lol. Drive, race, get her dirty, clean , polish , repeat .:D

21. -Brent-

-Brent-

Bird's-eye view. Top insert and hood top on the coupe:

Story goes, I was supposed to be cleaning the garage but after I rolled the coupe out, the ladder came next... then I had to take advantage of the good lighting... and no work got done.

I put the hood top on and adjusted the top insert (it's just sitting in place) and snapped some pics so I have images to plan from.

A Coupe w Roof Insert Front From Above.jpg A Coupe Roof Insert From Above .jpg

I'm a visual person, so pics help me lay out / imagine a plan.

The top insert has been a piece of the project I haven't yet figured out. I have been pouring over 60s-era pics to get a help me make a choice.

I like the aluminum (maybe even polished). I like upholstered tops (diamond stitched top would rule), and painted to match could also be something interesting.

This is part of the fun, the picturing, the going back and forth and making it all work.

22. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nailin It.Just right.

23. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

brEad, mad mikey and -Brent- like this.
  24. -Brent-

-Brent-

I like how you're thinking! Though, the interior will be black. The seats will be recovered with the same style stock covers used in 1966 (they have the kind-of perforated vinyl centers) and everything else will be either diamond pleats or rectangles (similar to the Haifley T). The seats in there now need to be redone.

I think a black diamond-pleated upholstered top would be pretty awesome.

catdad49, AndersF, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  25. The top either needs to stay aluminum, engine turned would be a huge job but look cool OR it needs to be vinyl

loudbang, -Brent- and Thor1 like this.
  26. -Brent-

-Brent-

@Tim recommended engine-turned too. That's not my style... way too much work!!! And 3 lines in, I'd start getting off track. Hahaha.

27. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Diamond pleats on the top insert!

Do you have a paint scheme in mind?

28. -Brent-

-Brent-

Black paint, white chassis, white panel striping around the car, and some chrome.

catdad49, AndersF, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  29. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Well then that sounds like diamond pleat top to me!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yup third vote for diamond