Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Enlarging center hole in wheel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51504bat, Sep 24, 2020.

1. They still would accept the same hubcaps, there was just an 'extra' nib to retain them.

squirrel likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

so it seems that going to 14" wheels would be easier, if he could find some. Looks to me like 14" wheels became common around 1957-58, as a way for the carmakers to get them to sit half an inch lower, without any effort.

3. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for all input. I think I've found a set of 15's with the larger center hole that will take the poverty caps. They will be cheaper than either machining the axles or the wheels.

4. He'd need the post-'69 versions with the larger center hole, but those should be pretty common.

5. I did it with a large pipe reamer.

Elcohaulic and thintin like this.
  6. see the lower wheel in this pic. It is the style for the larger hub, they made them in both 14" and 15"

with some people, talking trash on peoples welding, then come over here and say "yeah just remove .16" in from the part of the wheel that holds the structure? Really SMH.

you remove that little ring, its like taking the white ring off you red drinking cup, albeit not as bad, you will just spill some beer, but in a car that will get used and abused....well have fun.

I mean someone just posted that they got stress cracks and all that, I recall seeing some do this to steel wheels years ago also. I also said I would not run those aluminum slots , Im sure they would not pass as inspection.

Either get the correct part or don't bitch about later when you have a failure. and if you can't afford now, save your money and hit the junk yard- or ask friends, you end spending as much for that tool to cut the hole bigger. the rims exist. If you were closer I would throw that rim at you for free.

man!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  7. Budget36

Budget36

So looking at the Al wheels, if the guy bought a set to fit, what would be the difference?

8. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No sure where you're going with this but after all things considered and not want to take a chance with cracks developing from enlarging the center hole or having to have the axles machined, as I said, I located a set of wheels with the correct center hole. Problem solved. Again, thanks for all the replies. I'm a long way from having the Ranch Wagon on the road so I know I'll be asking for more suggestions in the future.

1oldtimer and TagMan like this.
  9. Get the right Parts the first time and don’t chance it. Glad you found you a set.

10. gene-koning

gene-koning

WOW!
    Cut the centers out of the wheels to whatever size you need. Machine them or cut them with a torch, or whatever method you have available. We cut the centers out of a lot of wheels (with a torch) we used on our dirt track car and never had an issue, and I suspect those wheels were under a lot more side load stress then your wheels will ever see.
    I've cut the centers out of a 1 ton truck and loaded the crap out of that truck for a lot of miles afterwards.
    I'll cut the wheel over cutting the axle hub any day, I'd be way more concerned about the brake drums centering on the hub then the wheels centering on the hub.
    If your concerned about the lug nuts not holding the wheel tight enough, maybe its time to replace the worn lug nuts. You don't want to know how many lug nuts I've removed to see the tapered angle is no longer a straight cut but have a worn curve where it used to be straight. People keep reusing the wore out lug nuts without even looking at them. Gene

texasred, Tman and ffr1222k like this.
  11. I found this too late. I was going to suggest Collins wheel in Bellflower for some good used ones with the right center.

12. Budget36

Budget36

13. Budget36

Budget36

Let me ask again, especially for those who cringed on machining out the center of that 6 lug wheel.

So if I bought a wheel to fit my axle, what would be the difference?

14. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks. I only scored 2 wheels so I'll check them out for 2 more for the front and maybe 1 for a spare as well.

15. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You’ve lead a sheltered life.

16. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I had the same issue once hacking some steel rims onto a VW Rabbit, holes too small by a smidge. Turned out one of my hole saws had just the right OD, and it fit in the chamfer on the back of the wheels, didn't even need a pilot. Spun it slow with a 1/2" hand drill, done in a few minutes.

17. Me neither.. Look closer.. The bar is clamped inside a chunk of tube ...that's welded to a chunk of plate which is bolted the lathe carriage... A.k.a hillbilly (no $) Boring bar holder.

Budget36 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  18. There is very little meat left inside the bolt circle. Those will probably crack from the lug holes to the center register. Remember, steel and aluminum wheels perform differently. There is a reason SCTA has differing rules for both types of wheels.

19. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I have an old Blazer 4x4, and lots of wheels for it. These are off the shelf Americans, FWIW.

20200926_092201.jpg

20. Look really close and the tube is a tie rod sleeve.

Budget36 likes this.
  21. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Looks like a piece of tubing slit down the one side and two nuts welded on and a cinch bolt!! I love it!

caseywheels likes this.
  22. NAES

NAES

The aluminum slot mags I bored out have the same bolt circle and hole size as ones made to fit my application. Same brand wheels, etc. Mine just happened to come with the smaller diameter hole which I machined out.

Plus one for Colins Wheels in Bellflower. Hexs taken care of me a few times over the years.

NAES

Sent from my SM-N950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. I had some that were cut out with a torch to fit, really shaky, I welded a 1/4 in steel ring made from rod to reinforce the wheels, worked ok. I think some pickup truck wheels have a bigger center hole.