Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Too nice to chop up !!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wood remover, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Bought a 33 chev fordoor sight unseen for a parts car for my 33 3 window .Long story short , it is too nice to chop up .The chassis is fully restored with all new parts .The body is 99% rust free ,99% of the wood is good in the car .The car is in filling primer , and also all apart .fenders are decent ,all parts are with the car .NO running boards ,did come with some nos running boards ,but were for a standard car .Sold them for what I paid for the car .Good title with the car .I figure 3500.00 worth of good parts chopped up .
    Nobody wants to pay that .Absolute shame too cut it up .Don't have the room and a couple of other projects on the go.All I keep hearing is ,its just a fordoor !!!

Attached Files:

reagen, TagMan, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  2. Oh ,no motor or transmission ,guy had them rebuilt and sold them before he advertised the car .

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

no a lot of good '33 Chevys out there, four door or not

4. A fellow club member purchased a 1932 Chevy 4 door that appeared to be in good shape, he paid 2,200 dollars for the complete car, when he took it apart he found the majority of the wood was rotten, the wood kit was more than what he paid for the car.

There are people that want a early Chevy like my friend Mike, but the big stumbling block is the wood.

The reality is that the early Chevy 4 doors are not as popular than the coupes or 2 door sedans, possibly someday in the future they may be desirable.

There is no doubt that there have been some nice 4 door Chevys built by guys that wanted the car and knew it would most likely cost more than building it's counterpart. HRP

When Dave and I built Richards 33 Coupe we removed all the rotten wood and replaced it with metal, big job but actually saved him money. HRP

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    VANDENPLAS and Driver50x like this.

5. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  6. All the wood is good , That is the shame of cutting it up.Even the wood in the top .Not often you will find a car with good top wood .

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  7. No shame in a moredoor and '34 anything is cool. That's a keeper and I like @31Apickup's idea of turning it into a bad ass sedan delivery. I'm right down the road, but in the same boat as you... not enough room, too many projects already. Don't chop it up.

1933_willys_77 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  8. Definetly a good car , but I have these on the go 20190308_131527.jpg 20150811_215444.jpg 20190408_200329.jpg $_59.JPG.jpg

9. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

kidcampbell71, VANDENPLAS and -Brent- like this.
  10. Nothing against a fordoor , just too much on the go and it is in the way .Also have 3 finished cars and 1300 ft shop .

11. Somebody wants that.
    Chevys with good wood are getting really scarce. If it were me, I would try to find someone who would love to put her back together.

12. Been trying but nobody is stepping up

13. Squablow

Squablow

Projects are very rarely worth the value of their individual parts as a group. The car would sell, but not for $3500.

It's a hard choice, I've been in your spot many times and I know the desire not to break up a fixable car. But at some point, you're either going to have to cut it up and use what you need for your other car and sell off the other pieces, or let the whole thing go for a lot less than the sum of the value of the parts.

14. Guess cutting it up is the only alternative.
    Not going to sell it for less to have another guy that doesn't care cut it up and make more .I don't need any parts from it for my 3 window .I bought it cheap and sight unseen as a parts car . Sell of the parts .
    33 chev parts are not cheap anymore .Good parts are right up there in cost now ..
    Right along side of 32-34 ford stuff..

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  15. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

They used to say (it's just a 4 door) about 32 Ford mor doors but today they're like gold.

VANDENPLAS and 62rebel like this.
  16. That thing is in amazing shape

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  17. No such thing as too nice to cut

18. 62rebel

62rebel

Get in touch with a club that specializes in the model. And don't get hung up on what you spent. In the end, NOTHING is worth what we spend on it.

56don likes this.
  19. Make a sedan delivery out of it !!!!
    Like has been said.

I het what your saying about it being too clean to part out.

I did that with a project that stalled on me, could not sell it complete,parted it out and made 10X’s what I wanted for the whole lot.

I would be all over this if I had the space and time, I don’t have either right now, good luck in what ever you do with it.

A shame to part it out as it’s a minty clean original, but not exactly a desired style.
    Still cool as all hell !!!

20. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Try an add in Hemmings, somebody needs that car

21. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Hard work is done."
    A lot of it, anyway.

22. Would love to have the space to hide it away for awhile !!!

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  23. 6inarow

6inarow

I wish I had that car

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm thinking that there is that guy who has one with a ragged body who has almost all of the rest of it to put with what is there and come way out ahead.

Parting it out to get your "gotta have or else $$$$", may not go that fast either.

25. I have the complete car !!
    Grill, hood , seat , rear seats ,fenders ,bumpers
    Original keys , door handles everything!!
    Car was taken apart with all parts bagged and labeled .

26. Good title too!!

27. gene-koning

gene-koning

Old cars are almost always worth more in parts then they are complete. Very few people want to buy a car and pay the price the parts are worth. You either want to see it saved and sell it priced accordingly, or you take it apart and sell the parts, or you put it back together and sell it as a complete car. If it stays intact, it saves one car, but if to part it out, it may save several cars.

Nice cars make much better parts cars. More better parts to sell. Gene

28. buford_59

buford_59

Wood Remover, Like many others have stated, great project potential but too many projects already on the docket and no space to store. Too many doors...phew..... wooden framework... no problem for a wood butcher (me) or a hot rod fabricator (my son) , but again the afore mentioned reasons.
    Now to rain on your parade. You bought the car, sold the running boards for the purchase price of the
    car. So you are in the "profit zone" already. You're right in that $3,500 is steep complete as is. You could part it out but you don't want to sell it for a smaller profit so somebody else can make more money than you by parting it out.
    How hard have you tried to sell it. I admire your attitude of too good to cut up, but you're more concerned about someone else making a profit after you've made a profit? A lot of guys would probably jump on it 'cause the cost of the elusive Fords are un-obtainium to entry level or budget conscious folks.
    Sell it at a lower price hopefully to someone who wants to build it. You don't need any parts for yourself so a good reason to not cut it up. Sell it as is, make some more money to put into your current projects and hopefully give somebody a leg up towards a very do-able project.

Just my nickels worth 'cause we don't have pennies anymore.....

DoUg from Winnipeg

29. Okay, let's get this straight. You bought a car for parts. Then you find out the car is too nice to use for parts, and the parts that are there won't work on your projects. Then you stated that you sold some parts off said parts car that didn't fit anyway for what you paid for the parts car. You have no room or desire to store it. You have decided that 3500.00 is the price you want for those parts you don't want and won't store. You refuse to take a dime less than 3500.00 for the car you don't want and can't store because you refuse to let somebody else make a profit.
    So what exactly is the problem? Is it that you feel people are wanting to take advantage of you by offering you less profit than you have your heart set on? Or is it that nobody else is entitled to a profit except you?
    Your rant seems a bit confusing.

lurker mick likes this.
  30. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

If I was in the market, which I'm not, and that car was closer, which it's not, I'd be all over that. I'd stretch the front doors with pieces from the back doors and make a two door out of it and have a nice phantom ride. $3500 C is what, about $2500 US? Either way, not many 99% rust free cars that age selling for that either side of the border. It not being the more popular Ford only means you may have to wait a bit for a buyer that wants something different to come along, but somebody, somewhere wants that car. You just have to increase your advertising area to put them together.