Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '32 Ford rear hood latch location.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alumcantandthd, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Hi, looking for rear hood latch location measurements.
    I am making polished stainless rear hood latch mounting brackets, to bolt into existing OEM '32 Ford frame holes. (Hiboy) Driver's side is easy, the passenger side is more difficult.
    My questions.
    Measuring from the inside lip of the top frame rail, out. What is the center hole measurement for the two little 1/4" holes the hood latch bolts to, on both the left and right sides, Please?
    Is the top of the latch mount brackets, flush with the top of the frame, or above the frame? If so how much?
    Thanks for your time.

2. alchemy

alchemy

Usually the stiffener bracket sticks to the fender, so it is flush there. Sorry I don't have a measurement handy. If you are doing a hi boy you should probably put the hood on and see how the latch wants to sit. I've seen latches that seemed like they were yanked forward or back and you could prevent that by making the custom bracket.

X38 likes this.
  3. 1107181708.jpg 1116181420_Burst01.jpg
    I didn't like using the fender stiffener bracket on rear hood latch, so I modified the latch. Used a curved latch from a 50's Jeep reproduction latch and welded it to the '32 reproduction latch.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

5. From my photo above, my brackets were even with top of frame (front latches mount on top of frame).

The distance you are looking for out from frame; the lower slide of latch hits the rubber bumper on hood and holds hood side against cowl.
    I'd make the top of bracket just wide enough to hold latch base.
    Or make a bracket and mount it to frame rail. Then position latch as desired and mark hole location.