Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects ID a 1940 frame??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iwanaflattie, Oct 23, 2020.

1. I picked up a 40 frame and Buick steering wheel and column today..
    Can anyone ID the frame?
    Is it really a 40?

Tia received_340662763692283.jpeg received_1066927770423935.jpeg

tb33anda3rd and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. alchemy

alchemy

Sure looks like one. Check the serial number at Mac Vanpelt's site to be sure. Maybe it's a 39.

I think the only difference is a couple holes where the cross brace for the clutch throwout shaft outer pivot goes.

3. It's '37-'40. '35 and '36 rear trans mount is different. You'll find the serial number on top of the left frame rail in 3 places--beside the steering box, about in the middle, and on the arch over the rear end. It doesn't have the ears on the crossmember to support the front mounts for the 60 HP engine, so it's from an 85 HP vehicle. Serial number should have an 18- prefix. Ford serial number stampings used an upper case I for the numeral 1, so any I's in your serial number should be read as 1's.

LOU WELLS and bonneville bones like this.
  4. alchemy

alchemy

Pretty sure it's a 39 or 40 because I think I can see the small notch at the very bottom of the brake pedal mounting hole in the X member (the right leg should be the same as the left leg). That's where the hydraulic brake pedal arm goes. And there are hydraulic hose brackets on the front rails.

RICH B likes this.

5. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whats your plan ,Mister ?Cadillacs,40s ford.Skullduggery for sure...

6. Thank you guys...I will check the serial number today..
    I picked these up for free..
    I was mostly interested in the Buick steering wheel...
    The frame it's for sale or I can use it as trading stock..

Unless a hamber needs it,it's right here in the high desert you can come get it.

7. Oh the Cadillacs?
    I picked them up for cheap and I like to have back up engines just in case..

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

I think it's a 39. The 40's I have come across have several 3" holes in the rear X member legs. That X was used in late 36 through 39.

9. BJR

BJR

The steering wheel is from a 1949.

10. The serial number is *I8>5629***

11. Here is the link for the serial number page: http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_serialnumbers.htm
    Your frame is in the number range for 1940 with 85 HP V8. Passenger cars and pickups were in the same serial number series and built on the same basic chassis, The body mounts that are riveted to the outside of the rails are omitted on a pickup frame.

You are lucky to find a frame this good. The braces that run from the center of the X to the outer rail are often butchered. People putting in exhaust systems feel free to use the gas wrench on them. These braces are designed to keep the side rail from flexing when you step on the running board. The other issue with these frames is that they tend to rust out in the double wall section where the back legs of the X meet the side rails at the beginning of the arch over the rear end, Precision Coachworks makes repair sections to fix that problem, but yours looks solid.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  12. scotts52

scotts52

Everything I'm finding says Precision Coachworks is no longer in business.

13. alchemy

alchemy

It's a 40 for sure, I can see the stiffener under the front left X leg for the throw out cross shaft pivot.

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  14. Well if any of you ol school hambers needs it
    ..it's here in the desert

PONTNAK123 likes this.
  15. scotts52

scotts52

Wish I were close. I actually do need one. Found a 40 1/2 ton in a field this spring but the frame has some rot.

16. You're welcome to it, if you can find a way to haul it

tb33anda3rd and kidcampbell71 like this.
  17. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Hmm. Interesting. My 39 frame has those 3” holes in the x member rear legs you speak of. Maybe the early 40s still had the holes and they phased them out ? Who knows.

18. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Alchemy, you are right. I totally missed that.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  19. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It’s not a Chevrolet.

20. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, you finally solved a mystery for me. I started building my '40 many many years ago with frame blasting and grey primer. The front frame X legs were damaged (butchered) and had to be rebuilt, so parts were removed, but not all replaced because of BBF/late driveline mods. So, over the years, I've had this piece of grey metal laying around, wondering what the heck it was, but pretty sure it came off the frame. Now I know! Thank you! :)