Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures The Blob

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimmy six, Oct 23, 2020.

1. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Watching the Blob are there some great cars in it. Especially a 40 Ford coupe and a lot of typical high school hot rods.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    dana barlow, Deuces and Stogy like this.
  2. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Steve McQueen

dana barlow and Deuces like this.
  3. yep....good scary movie when your a kid.....the pit - the shop scene I didn't like as a kid....

Stogy likes this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That movie scared the crap out of me when I was a youngun...funny I can't remember the old cars in it...time to revisit it...

VANDENPLAS, warhorseracing and Deuces like this.

5. All the times I have seen this movie I just realized that Steve's girl friend is Aneta Corsaut , she played Andy's girl friend on the Andy Griffith show,

I remember reading that Steve McQueen made 3 grand for his part in the movie. HRP

6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

listed as Steven McQueen.

7. Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  8. 62rebel

62rebel

TCM ran it last night. Great old flick.

9. Ha ha ha... the Blob... I had successfully erased that memory... now it's BACK!!!

10. jnaki

jnaki

Hey J,

Nice find of that classic old movie. I thought this movie was scary when we went to see it at the theaters. But, being a big teenager, nothing was going to scare me at the time, other than “The Thing.” That scare did not get resolved until 1961 when I met The Thing actor out surfing at San Onofre. But, my mom and brother have told me this story plenty of times and they will never forget it, along with laughter when telling it at family gatherings.

We all know The Blob was scary, just because there was no way to stop it, where we live in mild So Cal. It is not the snowy, Arctic Circle or Finland. So, in the back of my teenage mind, it was worrying me that it would invade our tiny Caspian Avenue house in Long Beach.

As a teen, I would get sick with a running temperature or some stuff. The old asthma would kick in and I would sound like a foghorn coughing all night and during the day, too. But, throw in some infection and temperature sends the brain into overdrive. My mom told me that she was awakened one night and rushed out to see if I needed some water. But, I was not in my bedroom.

She found me standing in front of the front door, slightly opened and then stepping back swinging my arms like fighting something. She grabbed my shoulder and I ignored it and kept swinging, yelling… "get out, get out.”

Jnaki

My mom had me help her clean the house earlier in the week and my newly vacuumed floors were now covered with the “blobby” stuff. So, she said I was oblivious to her shaking me and kept fighting the BLOB coming in the front door. Ha… I guess I liked a clean house.

My brother had to come out to grab me and take me back to the other room to calm down. Then I was fast asleep and had no recollection of that, until it happened again a year or so later. Now, it was ingrained into my brain and I can recall it anytime, with laughs, of course. At the time, it was funny, but scary.
    upload_2020-10-24_9-28-22.png
    Then years later, I remember the Hot Rod Annual Cover and noticed that the 1940 Ford Sedan with the colorful front end, looked like the one in the Blob movie. My brother thought it was the same sedan as those movie producers had ties to the local So Cal hot rod community.
    upload_2020-10-24_9-31-35.png

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    Stogy and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  11. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I'm going to rent that!! I remember it..

Stogy likes this.
  12. 34Larry

34Larry

Hey...............I remember this movie, not for the movie itself, but for the memory of a first time booby feel.:D:rolleyes:

Stogy, Speed Gems and VANDENPLAS like this.
  13. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

It was on a few weeks ago and caught the last half.

14. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Funny, I watched it last night too. Think AMC was playing it? Hopefully they play The Giant Gila Monster.

Stogy and anthony myrick like this.
  15. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

For Halloween, my wife and I always watch a scary movie that is not too gory or stupid. She had this silly movie on our playlist, of all things. We have always liked Steve McQueen and this fits the "silly" bill. It is on several streaming channels for free, but the big name streaming channels will charge you several dollars, commercial free. Nothing ruins a movie like a commercial(s). Find it on the Roku search for the channels. Hopefully, commercial free.

Jnaki

I got over the scary movie,"The Thing" by meeting and talking to the actor who also surfs. By then I could see why I was scared at the time. The actor was a huge guy. So, how did I get over the Blob? Well, growing up, getting taller and bigger than most, helped a lot. It is the intimidating factor that works for most. Of course, the Blob is not real...is it?
    upload_2020-10-24_17-11-50.png
    28 year old Steve McQueen had on this cool jacket in the movie. It was a take on the old military bomber jacket, but it was not green or black. It was styled after that design and was made of a cotton poplin. Those jackets were not popular until he wore his in this movie. Then the lighter color beige models came out and it took over the outer jacket style for most teens in our high school. A little dressy, but still a casual jacket. A perfect jacket to wear at night when cruising around in the old Chevy sedan or even the 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery.
    upload_2020-10-24_17-13-13.png

Stogy likes this.