Register now to get rid of these ads!

Plastic vs metal vs electric fan..your choice.?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lowongas, Jul 19, 2011.

1. AHotRod

AHotRod

Attached Files:

• 158.jpg
      158.jpg
      File size:
      50.6 KB
      Views:
  2. lowongas

lowongas

DAMN GOOD info guys...added everything so far you guys have posted in my HAMB folder....These are the 2 I found while searching today...I would have searched more but its 111 degrees in the garage and I am beat.The one on the left is all metal..one on the right is fiberglass.

Attached Files:

3. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

I've used the plastic "flex" fans on quite a few cars and they work great. I say "flex" in quotes cause they don't really flex much.

[​IMG]

I used the be die hard on using the old style, four blade steal fans. . . but they never really keep things as cool as I'd like. So I switched to the plastic fan and it works great.

Obviously I wouldn't use one on a flathead.

4. I had one of these on an engine when I started it up for the first time and it knicked the shroud when we reved the enine then it disinigrated. Luckily none of my buddies got hit with the shrapnel. I am sure they are fine when there is plenty of clearance. I was using it because of the tight quarters. Just be careful with these!

5. If you going without a hood and are fenderless I would go without a fan. If you are going with ac and a bunch of other stuff you may need a fan. Remember a copper radiator has at least .5 R value of aluminum. The copper cools better. Get a good copper radiator from Brass Works or Walker. There have been hot rods running around here without fans for years.

6. Labold

Labold

What's it going on?

7. 5window

5window

Definitely vote for a 4 bladed steel fan in your car. But, where do you get just a shroud for such a fan?

8. Nothing spoils a nice traditional hot rod like an electric fan-especially a plastic one. But guys still use them. And mechanical fans just work so damn good; the question is, "Why?" Ease of fitment? Mech. fans fit 50 years ago, they should fit now just as well. Just takes a little planning.

Elcohaulic, Just Gary and triumph 1 like this.
  9. buckd

buckd

Enos Custom Components in San Luis Obisbo CA. I'm doing a 1930 tudor sedan, 350/350 and found that with their pump i can use any fan and it will be better centered on the radiator (5 1/2' higher) and 1 1/2' shorter shaft. I really wouldn't use an electric fan unless there was no other choice! Hope this helps, BUCKD

triumph 1 likes this.
  10. lowongas

lowongas

Well after I saw the answers about using the OLD RELIABLE clutch fan I headed up to AUtozone and was SHOCKED that they carry the clutch and fan in STOCK..!! Be damn,things are so close I cant use it..!! Well I ordered the fiberglass one and the order guy said.."Remember..YOU need a shroud with this fan..!" But what was REALLY cool is I found a post on here on how to make one using fiberglass resin and material from a fabric store.!!! How cool is that..??! As hot as it is here I wont mind spending a few hours in the cool basement working on making one....

11. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I know this is an old thread, but I figured it all fits together. Are there any other aftermarket options for fans? It seems there are steel 4 blade, steel six blade, and plastic available (not counting flex fans) but it seems like wherever you go they are made by the same company, not a lot of options.

I've got a 4 blade steel from Speedway but it heats up in traffic. I tried the six blade like posted above, but the six blade has the tips of the blades beveled so it's too close to my radiator. The six blade plastic fan would work, but I'd prefer a new 6 blade steel fan, just without the beveled blade tips.

12. Budget36

Budget36

I had a flex fan come apart, my ex- brother-in-law has a plastic fan come apart. We both had good dents and mild radiator carnage. Never had a steel fan fail, nor an electric one...even tho the electric ones are plastic.

13. belair

belair

metal clutch fan, shroud, boom, done. Ask me if I like headers or exhaust manifolds better.

Crazy Steve likes this.
  14. The OP hasn't been on the hamb since 2014. HRP

Blue One likes this.
  15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

16. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve used 4, 5, & 6 blade steel fans. If your over heating traffic check to see if water is moving thru the radiator especially at idle. If not install a smaller water pump pulley...

17. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When plastic fans fail they don't go through the hood though.
    upload_2020-10-23_14-11-15.png
    I can't verify the authenticity of the photo as it was sent to me by a buddy and he found it on FB. The caption said "the metal had fatigued after 80 years". I sure wouldn't want to get hit by that blade though.