Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest RIP ... Fat Jack Robinson

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HEMI32, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Thanks Ryan, for addressing this, and now hopefully both of his boys can show some of his early work, as he started with a torch and a stick welder like many of us.

2. Sanford&Son

Sanford&Son
    from Visalia,Ca

My deepest condolences to the family RIP Jack, The cars he built always had the right stance! Way before air-suspension!

Thor1, lothiandon1940 and olscrounger like this.
  3. Fat Jack” Robinson’s ’39 Convertible Sedan appeared in issue Number Twenty Nine of The Rodder's Journal:

TRJ #29 - Cover A.jpg

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  4. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

THX-think that is Cole Cutler's 34 too in the picture that was deleted-Moreland's 40 was there too-two very fast and impressive cars for sure!! That is the issue I wore out looking at that 39!! His builds always had to look!! Rest in peace.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  5. alchemy

alchemy

I don't think there's ever been a full fendered A that sits better than the black roadster. Period. And it is the reason I am always searching swap meets for some Tru-Spokes with the right size and good chrome. I know one day the 1972 style will come back around.

6. fortynut

fortynut

Irony abounds. We are a strange bunch, here on the H.A.M.B. One of those whose work we have all admired has left us. Instead of grieving his loss, as becomes gentlemen, rules intrude. As someone who comes here often and enjoys the company of all who post, allow me to apologize to Fat Jack's family, on behalf of those of us who make up the nameless and faceless many for any slight that has happened. The man was one of us and we will miss him. Not only do we offer our condolences, but we apologize for the egregious enforcement of the very same rules that allow this site to exist. Such is life. We often know the rules but are never quite comfortable with their limitations. I'm sure Jack Robinson bent a few himself. Hopefully anyone offended will not take it too harshly and come back here, knowing what some of us have learned along the way, that it is better to forgive and forget, and to go along to get along, because without friends the world is a pretty empty place.

7. 31Apickup

31Apickup

My condolences to his family. While some of his cars don’t fall into our guidelines, they certainly didn’t fall into what many consider the pastel,graphics,low performance street rod Days, he built some badass Hot Rods!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Thor1 and Just Gary like this.
  8. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

I think those are Buick wires, if I'm not mistaken.

chryslerfan55, Thor1, Dan Hay and 4 others like this.
  9. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

10. JROTTEN

JROTTEN

Marty, thanks for understanding where I was coming from. I'm still not real happy about what transpired, but Irish blood runs deep in my veins. Both Ryan and Moriarity sent a mesage to me, and I guess I'm back on her now. See you soon.

11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

John, you have far too much talent, not to share some advice with us from time to time. We need to meet up at Eagle Field this Spring, and share some Fremont stories, maybe you need to make a pass in my RPU !

chryslerfan55, Thor1, Tman and 5 others like this.
  12. JROTTEN

JROTTEN

Marty, that sounds good, hopefully I'll be up in your neck of the woods sooner than later, and I'll come by and see you. Thanks much, John.

13. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

R.i.p. Jack . Our thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends.

14. Boatmark

Boatmark

Sincerest condolences to the Robinson clan. Like many here, that orange 46’ made a huge impression on me as a teenager. Jack was a craftsman, and THE master of stance. Judging by what I’ve seen of some JROTTEN builds he taught his sons well.

Funny, until it was said here I never thought of that orange car as pro-street - just a badass Hot Rod. Guess I’ve never been much for labels.

Godspeed Fat Jack.

15. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

RIP. A Sad loss. His cars were wonderful. A buddy bought the '57 Del Rio Ranch Waggon and shipped it to the UK. What a great car! (now in Germany I think). I came dangerously close to the trigger when his green '38(?) truck was for sale - I'd lusted over it the several times I'd seen it.

Chris

chryslerfan55 and Thor1 like this.
  16. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Me, either. I thought of it as the orange race car.

17. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

We lost a good one here...RIP Jack

Thor1 likes this.
  18. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

Definitely had his own drumbeat.Great cars! I feel honored to have known him and for a long long time.

19. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

@Happydaze I think your thinking of Jack's son Johnny @JROTTEN

chryslerfan55, Happydaze and Thor1 like this.
  20. Nacifan

Nacifan

Sincere condolences to his family and friends. A truly inspirational builder. I'm hoping others can please post more of his epic builds. Attached is Jack in the Big hat and his extremity talented son, Johnny Rotten's Jonny Rotten-n-Fat Jack.JPG Jonny Rotten Fat Jacks Kid.jpg Jonny Robbinson's 37.jpg amazing 37

21. JROTTEN

JROTTEN

Actually, it's a '40 standard that I built about 5 years ago, but it's in the style that I learned from my dad. But thanks for posting. John.

22. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That 40 standard and your 37 pickup are top notch!!

23. JROTTEN

JROTTEN

Thank you @olscrounger , I apriciate the compliments.

24. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Everything I've seen out of Jack's shop was top notch, full of great engineering and craftsmanship. I drooled over that yellow 56 pu the first time I saw it, did the same for Johnny Rotten's 37 pu.

25. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

26. JROTTEN

JROTTEN

Thank you @krylon32, my brothers and I appreciate the compliments. Johnny.

27. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I cannot remember where or when but I meet "Fat Jack" along with his orange Ford. I remember the car more than meeting him. That was the type of guy he was, just down to earth. I asked him how well the car ran and he replied, "like a flying brick".

28. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Always enjoyed Jack. I used to visit weekly, after taking Larry Watson & Gary Mcnaught there it became one of their visit on trips to Elsinore. First met him while going to killingsworth grade & jr high. He did build a lot of cars. The orange one I originally thought was pizzers who lived just off Carson st. Jack was one of the coolest to come out of Hawaiian Gardens. He had a personality that some didn’t care for. I have a few friends that had the same, I blame it on the water. I never had a bad time around him, and always enjoyed him, as did my wife.

29. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell