Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chopping a '32 '33 '34 Ford PickUp?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brigrat, Dec 5, 2019.

1. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Decided to tackle a 4" chop on a '34 Ford p/u, started by doing a search on the subject (with pic's) but find most threads have been looted by photobucket. Hoping to find different techniques I checked out utube but not really anything of interest there, pretty popular procedure that has been done a few thousand times I would guess. Anyone have a favorite thread on the subject that I might be missing? Thanks!

2. I hope you ain't 6'4" like me, my '32 pickup had a stock top and I just barely fit. :D HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    mgtstumpy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. Chicster

Chicster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Missouri H.A.M.B.ers

My 30 has a stock top and I'm just 6 ft but it's tight in there.

mgtstumpy likes this.
  4. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

O did I mention it's also channeled, the owner is a circus midget just like me, we are not head room or leg room challenged, in fact we might even install a booster seat!
    Anyone have any tutorial's, threads, video's on the subject to share Thanks!

a boner likes this.

5. V8RPU

V8RPU
    from Nor Cal

Take the top cap off. Shorten front posts to height. Cut back window out and lower it to proper place. It can be narrowed if the chop is dramatic.

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  6. When I was considering chopping my 34 truck, I thought about taking the section out of that huge bump in the back and the area just below the front windshield. It would be more work than the traditional way but it would look better in my opinion.
    But as to your question, I can't supply a link to a thread.

7. you cant really lower the rear window opening in a 34 cab with the extra band that was unique to 34 cabs. If it was a 32 or 33 cab then you can lower the window. You could chop the rear window less and push it closer to the top of the cab though with a 34 cab.

8. My crude and quick edit, but shows that extra band on a 34 cab. You could cut around the opening and slide the top up a little bit before it hits the top seam and then cut the opening down to fit. Then just take your 4 inches out. You can also just take it right in the middle of the back of the cab as I show in the lines.

004.jpg

brigrat likes this.
  9. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Thanks taboo for taking the time to respond with a pic! I always like knowing all options before starting something like this than I take in account my ability & and tools at hand than make a plan of attack. I was wondering if anyone has cut at the top of the belt line, dropped the cab down and do your welding there. Than move bottom of rear window up with a filler piece under it, leaving the top of rear window where it is stock, just thinking out loud!
    DSCF0575.JPG DSCF0574.JPG

10. I dont see why you couldn't do that. I think you dont see it much since the posts are practically vertical and the top of the cab can be unbolted and removed and then simply slice off you desired length and then put the top back on.
    You could also cut that upper band out and make it look like a 32/33 cab and then hide the inner seam behind the wood structure that is connected to those bolts along the back of the cab.

11. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I think folding the seam at the top could work slick only chopping the window on the back sheetmetal. It might be a little more complicated at the door but not having a seem in the back corners would be cool.

12. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Yes! I will look into that!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    My first choice is finding away to limit the open area welding because of skill level!

13. Voh

Voh

@brigrat take a look at the full custom garage episode BACK ON THE ROAD. Ian chops a green truck on there.

14. Im 6' 1",and I look out of the top 2 inches of the windshield of my stock cab 32 PU. If you have a gas tank under the seat move it.Make a custom seat back so you can slide back a few inches.

15. A Boner

A Boner

No problem, just have to find a sawed off little shit to buy it if the owner ever wants to sell it!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. alchemy

alchemy

I also wondered about only cutting near the window and folding the top edge along the big flat sections. Let us know how it works.

17. goldmountain

goldmountain

I chopped a '57 Chev pickup and kept the rear window full height. Much later, I chopped my T coupe and figured that it was too much work with too much welding so I just cut the full amount through the rear window. I like the look but when I have to back up, I can't see much.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Cutting along the fold at the rear beltline is easy...so is welding it back up. But grinding along a welded 'crevice'? tough, even with a 4.5" angle grinder.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  19. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

So I have a plan of attack and the lines are drawn, now time to cut. I have a Plasma cutter and can make surgical cuts but I see most "big boys" use a grinder and thin cut off disc, is there a reason? Will a Plasma cutter do something to the metal that makes it harder to work when Tigging of Migging?

20. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

21. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

I would highly recommend that you get some scraps and practice both ways before you go whacking on something you plan to be proud of later. Prove it to yourself, you'll remember it a lot longer. Good Luck

22. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

At this point I am not worried about getting it back together.
    Again, I have a Plasma cutter and can make surgical cuts but I see most "big boys" use a grinder and thin cut off disc, is there a reason? Will a Plasma cutter do something to the metal that makes it harder to work when Tigging of Migging?

23. Mr cheater

Mr cheater

A plasma cutter makes a ruffer edge than a cutoff wheel will make and you would have to clean the ruffness of the cut up to get a good weld. Possibly causing some fit up issues. Your results may vary. I don’t think it will affect the welding process if it is properly cleaned up.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

brigrat and Taboo56Chevy like this.
  24. I dont think it will mess with the metal like that. I think it more has to do with the loss of material on the width of the cutting device, plus plasma usually a rougher edge that needs cleaning, like posted above.

brigrat likes this.
  25. alchemy

alchemy

When I am cutting sheetmetal to butt weld I make the cut as exact as possible. It want a tight gap with ZERO light showing through. Best to cut it a bit shy (about 1/8") and then cut the last bit up to your scribed line with your sharpest shears. This will give a nice smooth and square edge. Then you can probably TIG the joint with minimal or no filler wire.

Fine to use the cutoff wheel on the thicker jamb material.

No way I'd ever use a plasma on this work.

brigrat likes this.
  26. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

This reminds me of an old tech article I saw once in a little book on chopping a top where they showed Sam barris doing all the cutting with a torch, ha!

I like to remove the spot welds on the outer skin of the a pillar, remove the whole skin, then chop the a pillar inner structure. This way you’ll get the entire inner structure welded up rather than just the outer skin. The removed skin can be cut to length to fit the chop, re attach it in the windshield frame area then re wrap it around the a pillar and trim the excess off the back edge. This prevents having to split the outer skin to narrow it to accommodate the taper of the pillar, then you just have one seam to weld on the outer skin at the bottom where the cut was made to remove it.

my pal Jeff’s truck we chopped with this method...
    7C8D9E44-A4E7-4ED8-887D-A20B6B385F62.jpeg

kidcampbell71, nochop, treb11 and 6 others like this.
  27. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Thanks for the pic & info!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

28. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

@thunderbirdesq: Excellent way to go about this!
    When I chopped my '34 pickup, this was the way I ended up doing it. My elder friend was employed by me at the time...Phil stopped me at the pillar with my sawzall... LOL He sliced a short cut, then removed the skin as you said...we welded it all, not losing strength at the 'A' pillars.
    Folding the skin was 'scary', but just went into place.
    I thought mine was the only one to ever get done this way. :rolleyes:

thunderbirdesq likes this.
  29. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Have done 4 deuce pickup chops, 2.5, 4, and two 3inch chops. We cut the back thru the window because I like the window chopped to match the top. We use cutoff wheels, saber saw and saws all to make our cuts. This a relatively easy chop with just a little jacking of the front posts. We always remove the post skin so we can weld the inner structure for strength. I like the 3 inch chop the best.

30. RACE ROD

RACE ROD

Heres Mine with a 5 inch Chop ! SAM_1714.JPG SAM_1709.JPG SAM_1709.JPG P1010335.JPG

akoutlaw, DeLuxe 32 and kidcampbell71 like this.