Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Which shift kit for TH350?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Greasyman, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Greasyman

Greasyman

Too long, ain't gonna read (TLAGR); Opinions on B&M and Transgo basic shift kits, what kits and what stages did you use?

Long and rambling version (LARV): I want my stock 283 powered T bucket to shift harder at full throttle, at least hard enough to chirp the tires, so I'm in the market for a basic shift kit, like the B&M Shift Improver kit or the TransGo .

I know nothing about trannies, but I did have a B&M stage one kit in a stock 1971 Valiant with a 904 backing a stock 2 bbl 318 and something like 2:73 gears. The kit did exactly what I wanted it too, made it shift hard and chirp the tires at full throttle, while making the shifts efficiently firm feeling yet still comfortable when cruising.
    Since I was happy with that kit I could just get another one for the T and be done with it, but just about everything I read on the net says the TransGo is a better engineered kit. I'd probably get one of those, but I've also read that the TG shifts rather softly compared to the B&M, at least in stage one mode. I don't want it to shift too soft, I want this car to be a bit on the raucous side.
    What's your experience been? What stages did you use?

2. Lost in the Fifties

Lost in the Fifties

It's just like you said. TransGo is soft shifting, and B & M shifts firm. If you have any kind of stall converter, you won't even feel the TransGo.

3. I use the B&M and would recommend that one, the t-bucket is so light you're going to need a firm shift to even feel it hit.

4. PacaRacer50

PacaRacer50

I would go with the B&M Transpak set up. It has all the springs, spacer plates and other items needed to give you
    the full hard shift to second you are looking for. It modifies the valvebody only but its more advanced than a Shift kit. I have used these for years without any issues about installation. Pretty straight forward just follow the directions and take your time. First one I installed I did on my back under a 1969 Pontiac Firebird in my dad's garage at 16 years old. Made a huge difference as the Transpak also helps with a issued the Turbo 350 had when it first came out by fixing the circuit to allow it to shift into 3rd gear. My Firebird would Not make the 3rd gear shift no matter what I did until I put the Transpak in.

5. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I have used the trans go kits in c6’s and th350’s and loved them all. And used a b&m kit in a th 350 in a 4 wheel drive and it would rattle the windows when it shifted. But never used a kit in a light car like yours though

6. I had a 350 turbo transmission in my roadster and I installed a shift kit that snapped my neck when it shifted, it was fun at first and then it got to be a pain in the neck (pun intended)

Brenda was driving the roadster when the sprag gear broke in half, removed the hard shifting kit and installed a mild one, the car was so much more fun to drive. HRP

da34guy likes this.
  7. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I was very happy with just a B&M Shift Improver kit installed, I think, in the RV level of firmness. Not harsh, but would still chirp the tires on 1-2 with just a 305 in front of it. In a '49 Chevy pick up.

Gary

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a personal favorite of mine, for vehicles that actually get some miles on them.

9. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Having had both, I'd only use Transgo for any shift kit I bought. I prefer the Transgo TRG-350-1-2 as it has a firm shift, and also the capability to hold any gear at any speed. So it can be left in 3rd and shift itself, or manually shift up or down thru the gears.

bill gruendeman likes this.