Register now to get rid of these ads!

1936 Ford Flathead V8 build thread

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Christopher Miller, Dec 26, 2019.

1. IMG_5187.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. rusty valley

rusty valley

looks like you have a fine collection of mopeds! have fun, sorry to hear of the broken tooth

Christopher Miller likes this.
  3. Yes, trying to get rid of them to make room currently. Thanks!

4. Getting the cab taped off so I can put some primer on and then use a da sander with probably 220 to sand. This should get rid of sand groove marks and any small imperfections I may have missed.
    IMG_5201.JPG IMG_5202.JPG IMG_5203.JPG IMG_5200.JPG

5. greener200

greener200

6. Fenders are taped off and working on a bulb I forgot to clean up and fix but other than that I’m pretty set to paint. I’ll need to clean all my surfaces and all but other than that I’m liking it. I plan to spray primer tomorrow and hopefully I don’t see too many areas that I missed. It’ll never be perfect but i’m also trying to make it a 4/5 on appearance. It’s a little too wet and keeps sprinkling on and off today to paint now.

IMG_5281.JPG IMG_5282.JPG IMG_5283.JPG IMG_5285.JPG 62498356406__F7246040-BEFE-42CB-967B-0A059B157E93.JPG

Also a little surprise is coming that I’ve been working on today, I’ll let you know in a few more posts.

7. Kind of hard to see so I used some editing to bring out the lettering on the headlight after I cleaned it up
    Cleaning of the headlight in order

Paint stripper
    Wire brushed
    Ultrasounic cleaner
    Sand blasted
    Orbital sander
    Filler primer

IMG_5287.JPG IMG_5288.JPG IMG_5289.JPG IMG_5290.JPG IMG_5295.JPG IMG_5296.JPG IMG_5286.JPG

rusty valley likes this.
  8. IMG_5299.JPG IMG_5300.JPG

And I think with a days work in I’m ready for paint tomorrow in exception to cleaning some surfaces

9. First time being outside in a long time. IMG_5307.JPG IMG_5308.JPG

Video:

10. Painted and done. Had one mess up in which the tape came off and I accidentally hit the firewall with paint but I think I can fix it Sanding will be next when this is all set.
    IMG_5310.JPG IMG_5311.JPG

rusty valley likes this.
  11. IMG_5312.JPG

12. Flashback moment

IMG_0020.JPG IMG_0021.JPG

Now
    IMG_5313.JPG

rusty valley likes this.
  13. Awesome! great progress.

Mike

14. Mart

Mart

Yes, a job well done. You're right to remind yourself of how it looked. sometimes when doing a project it's too easy to keep focussing on the next thing that needs doing, or the next problem that needs solving. It's reassuring sometimes to see how far you have come.
    Mart.

15. Concerned my radiator fan may be too heavy. Anything I can do to make sure it’s not??

16. Here’s my set up. I have not weighed it but I know it’s heavy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Probably the normal weight. If you want something lighter then you will have to go modern flex, electric or maybe find one with a clutch.

Mike

18. Been really looking into this and I can’t find any research or things to compare my setup to. My set up uses a plate to connect the fan to the pulley. Originally I wanted to weld the fan to the pulley but I think the pulley is hardened steel so I can’t. We made a plate which connects to the pulley by 4 holes and cap screws. The pulley then connects to that plate in 4 areas.

IMG_5367.JPG IMG_5362.JPG IMG_5363.JPG IMG_5366.JPG

I broke out the scale and my whole setup is 7.33 pounds. Quite a lot to be spinning so fast I think but maybe that’s just me. Last thing I want is the fan to fly off and hit the radiator after we got it re-cored. Too expensive to mess up at this point.

IMG_5369.JPG IMG_5368.JPG

19. Lock tight will be added to ever bolt in this assembly, the cap screw will be grinded down so the belt can go through smoothly, and lock washers will be added to the base of the fan. I’m purely just mocking this up for weight right now.

Let me know what you think or if you have a weight of a Flathead fan or what you’re using would be even better!

20. Got the hood finished in terms of welding. I had to replace all the hinges in this hood as every one was ready to rot off from rust. Here’s how it’s turned out

IMG_5383.JPG IMG_5388.JPG IMG_5389.JPG IMG_5385.JPG
    IMG_5382.JPG

My welds aren’t perfect but really felt good about these. Did all the welds underneath to hide them and to give the top a good clean look

IMG_5086.JPG

Last thing is I’m wondering how to get these warps and dents out of the hood. Any suggestions? It’s all sorts of messed up. Hard to show in pictures but each side has a big dent and the passenger side is lifted a bunch

IMG_5390.JPG IMG_5393.JPG IMG_5394.JPG IMG_5397.JPG

21. IMG_5426.JPG

With next week looking warmer I am going full steam ahead to paint this truck with

Primer (wet sand)
    Red color
    Red again
    Maybe red again
    Clear
    Clear

I have plenty of warm days. I hope you guys are as excited to do this as I am. It’s been a long road to this point and I know I’m bored with this as I love to wrench more than I do sand and do body work. Hopefully you all are still watching :)

simplestone and Petejoe like this.
  22. I am! Good luck and have fun.

23. Thank you!

24. While I planned to paint the whole truck truck today with red I only got to two doors, the grill, and a few small pieces. Here’s how they turned out

IMG_5503.JPG IMG_5504.JPG IMG_5507.JPG IMG_5508.JPG IMG_5509.JPG IMG_5510.JPG IMG_5512.JPG IMG_5514.JPG IMG_5521.JPG IMG_5522.JPG IMG_5526.JPG IMG_5527.JPG IMG_5528.JPG

While I want things to be perfect I realize I just can’t get it all. I was hesitant to show these but I think it just goes to show I’ve done my best and it’s part of the story of my personal project. Overall it’s really not that bad, just not perfect
    IMG_5529.JPG IMG_5531.JPG

Sometimes it is nice though
    IMG_5530.JPG

Prep today included wet sanding everything, tack clothing it all, taping the doors off, and re-taping other areas that had gotten messed up because the wind was strong

simplestone likes this.
  25. More progress today
    IMG_5554.JPG IMG_5556.JPG IMG_5557.JPG IMG_5558.JPG IMG_5559.JPG IMG_5560.JPG

Painted more-

Final coats of window frame
    Other fender
    Headlight
    One coat on grill, I missed a spot

Cab only has one coat, it’s all I could get to with the sun setting so soon.

After getting off work and before the sun sets is a small window of time to try and get it all done. Tomorrow I aim to get the last of the truck painted and the Rims, the rims will take a while

KiWinUS likes this.
  26. IMG_5571.JPG

Not many pictures but I can update you guys

Final color was put on and I have a toooooon of extra paint. Granted I still need to do the hood, still working on that.

Today I painted more coats on one side of all the rims, a few small pieces, and finished the cab. I should be able to do a bunch of clear coats tomorrow

27. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Good looking color choice.

28. Thank you

29. Got the clear on a few items today in exception to the doors,the Cab, and the rims. I have 2 more warm days before it gets cold again. I took a video that captured the reflections in the panels but I’ll drop a few pictures as well. Click the link to see the Grill and both fenders in the sun.
    IMG_5578.JPG
    IMG_5580.JPG

simplestone, Boryca and Petejoe like this.
  30. 62656281585__86ECD6F4-2577-4910-B688-41DCAEAD205F.JPG IMG_5591.JPG

210superair likes this.