Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ron francis harness

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by gdrummer, Aug 24, 2020.

1. gdrummer

gdrummer

so i'm working on my 1951 deluxe with a 216, 3spd. i need to replace the harness but i'm not ready to switch the car to 12 volts yet. i understand that i cannot use a 12 volt harness.
    if i use a 6 volt harness now can i convert to 12 volts and not need to wire the car over?

also anybody know who makes a good harness?

thanks

2. goldmountain

goldmountain

The wires for 6 volt are thicker than for 12 volt so it would work fine on 12 volt. However, an original style 6 volt harness will usually have fewer fused circuits than the 12 volt ones so I would advise you just switch to 12 volts now and only do it once.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  3. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

Ron Francis makes 6V wire harness kits call them they may have pne already or make you one.
    I have a RF kit in my '40 coupe and its a great product and instructions plus they serialize the kits for tech support if you have a problem

Jibs, Stu D Baker and firstinsteele like this.
  4. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Save yourself a lot of frustration and worry in the future by going to 12 volts from the start. Change over the starting system first. Once that puppy starts jumping to life right away every time; you will be a much happier camper... and car guy!! A fellow club member held out to keeping his old Ford on 6 volts and often complained about the troubles with getting it started... and sometime restarted! He and his son got so frustrated that they switched to 12 volts.
    He couldn't wait to get to the next club meeting to tell all of us how quickly it now starts... he claims he only has to get his finger close the starter button for it to start!!
    We all asked him if possibly he should have switched about 40 years ago?!
    He is a believer now... and you will be, too.
    Don't punish yourself.
    I've converted a number of Fords to 12 volts so it can't be that hard. Converting Chevrolets should be the same.
    All the best and good luck.
    Been There Al

olscrounger and pprather like this.

5. A 6 volt starter does fine on 12V. If an engine is tuned up right, good compression, correct timing, it doesn't take much to start it. You shouldn't have to be grinding on the starter to crank it.

6. 50 Merc Man

50 Merc Man

I’ve got a Francis harness in my Merc and lemme tell ya, it’s a helluva product,

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

reagen likes this.
  7. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Sounds like now's the time to do it all in one shot. Seems silly to rewire the entire car now, then revisit it all again later. I've used the kit from Speedway that's about $150 in a few cars, I've been happy with them.

8. I used a Rebel Wire inc. harness when I rewired my 30 coupe. Great product and the support was perfect.
    bonus, they are an Alliance member...
    bonus, bonus @REBEL43 is an active member here, very knowledgeable and helpful.
    Chappy