Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1941 Ford Pickup Refresh

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by agshelby, Apr 21, 2020.

1. agshelby

agshelby

The chains have been there close to 80 years and I plan on keeping them in place. I use the truck around the house all the time and the chains are useful to hold the tailgate when transporting long loads.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

olscrounger likes this.
  2. papa's 39 koop

papa's 39 koop

Awesome looking truck ,sounds good with the straight exhaust

3. agshelby

agshelby

Thanks - It sounds much better in person - I can't capture the sound very well with my phone videos.

4. agshelby

agshelby

Today was a great day - I got up at 0500 and installed the newly rebuilt vacuum control valve and the repaired control cables. The truck now goes in/out of top gear without any drama at all - just a slight 'clunk'. I was able to cruise at 75 mph with low rpm and had plenty of pedal left. It makes a world of difference out on the highway. I think that I am going to start the hunt for another columbia for my '32 now.

Thanks to Ben over @Rancho Deluxe for rebuilding the Columbia and to John @ Columbia 2 Speed parts in Arizona for rebuilding the control valve.

catdad49 and nunattax like this.
  5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the wood bed sides and box end.

6. agshelby

agshelby

That bedside wood is secured with the same hardware that holds the tie down hooks on the outside. The bed floor is also a piece of marine plywood with cosmetic metal bed strips secured on top of it, too. It is mounted through the floor with the bed strip mounting bolts. The original metal bed floor is underneath it but it is really beat up.

My original intent was to leave off the wood but I didn't want to blend in the paint - and I've grown used to the wood now and I like it. I refinished it all for preservation and it has a good aged patina - a lot of deep scouring and oil stains.

catdad49 and Bandit Billy like this.
  7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like I said, it's cool and not something you see everyday. I like it.

agshelby likes this.
  8. agshelby

agshelby

The original seat killed my back. It was big and puffy and the driving position forced me to lean forward. Another issue was that I had to remove the seat to get to my toolbox that I stored underneath.

I went with a new Glide frame and had it covered in black vinyl with cloth inserts. The houndstooth cloth material is from a ‘68 Camaro. I put the cloth in because I drive it regularly and all vinyl is a sweaty mess. The seat bottom flips up so that now I can use the under seat storage.

The color looks orange in photos but it’s red.

The Glide seat mounts to the original riser and you need to remove the adjusting tabs on each side to fit the new frame. In these photos seat is just off to the side due to the tabs interfering. I have since cut them off and the fit is very good overall.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  9. catdad49

catdad49

That truck is Sweet, I’d be Looking for stuff to haul!

agshelby likes this.
  10. agshelby

agshelby

I haul stuff around the house all the time - a tow hitch is my next project. I’d love to find a small vintage camper to match the truck.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    catdad49 and warhorseracing like this.
  11. ...still have the tailgate chains on my 48 F-1 even tho I don't run a tailgate,..I like hearing them swing around when I'm driving,..and they are leaving their mark...
    48 tailgate chans 008.jpg 48 tailgate chans 016.jpg

agshelby likes this.
  12. I like everything about it. Beautiful truck, and the '39 headlights are a nice touch. I used the Bob Drake reflectors with halogen bulbs on my '38, and it has the brightest headlights of any vehicle I have owned. Those reflectors have been installed almost 30 years and are as good as when I took them out of the box.

I like the lettering, and that's a great tribute to your father--my truck is lettered as a shop truck for Drake Motor Co., the local Ford dealer here from 1928-1956. Phone 13, actual number back in the day. I have a '55 Ford that my parents bought new at Drake Motor Co.

If you ever decide you want hanging pedals, a pedal assembly from a '52-'56 Ford car fits a '40-'47 Ford truck cab like it was custom made for it. I had an extra pedal assembly from a '55 and helped a buddy hang it in his '46, which is the same basic cab as your '41. The dash is welded in on those cabs and is part of the body structure--the pedal assembly bolts up to the firewall and bolts to the lower lip of the dash, so there's no flexing of the firewall.. Just mark off and drill bolt holes and cut the hole to mount the master cylinder.

agshelby likes this.
  13. agshelby

agshelby

I put back in thermostats for the winter before heading up to the Gathering at the Roc.

It was running about 120-140 without them and I wanted a bit more running temp ( and a working heater).

I love the sound of this truck -

14. agshelby

agshelby

A few minor updates. I use the truck almost daily and have about 10 K miles on it. The paint is fading due to the Texas sun, so I coat it with Gibbs every 3 or 4 months. I have it parked due to the Texas heat now - lots of 100 degree days. The truck doesn’t run hot at all, but it’s a sweat box. I am looking at putting in vintage air due to this.

Ben Thomas built a custom stainless exhaust and did a beautiful job. The truck is till loud, but can hear a conversation inside now.

Check out the truck underside. Zero rust and that paint on the body and frame is original. I did paint the rear bones and axle while it was apart:

79C65E36-F6B6-449F-86B7-97C8968635A0.jpeg D42E51F0-4FC4-47BA-8AB3-4ACCDB67C456.jpeg C1DC0F21-1EF0-4090-8757-8725BC6A9B26.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 16, 2022
    Shadow Creek and catdad49 like this.
  15. agshelby

agshelby

Some misc photos. NOS heater and defroster switches from NAPA, replaced cowl vent seal, and tried out patina sauce. The sauce works good for a few days, but it it’s no better or worse than Gibbs in my experience. The passenger side is treated in the attached photo.

also got a matching bike -

Attached Files:

Shadow Creek, 40FORDPU and catdad49 like this.
  16. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like your truck and the bike. What kind of paint/ finish is on the running boards?

17. agshelby

agshelby

Just aged black paint. There is not a lot left. The truck was originally black and has an aged single stage red on top of it.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2022