Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1927 Chevrolet Speedster Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Haase, Oct 13, 2020.

1. 282doorUK

282doorUK

My '28 was in a shed since 1970, not quite as untouched as yours, because strangely my wife refused to sit in it with the original rat infested front seats and horrible head lining, the rear seat is like yours and blanketed.
    It has been re-painted at some time without any prep, and a lot more paint has peeled off since this pic was taken.

D6A662E4-EDAB-4AA5-A9E5-EE22A1A5032E.jpeg

2. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

I have the front half of a 33 chassis, steering and all. Free if you want it. I'm in Massachusetts

TFoch likes this.
  3. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

This is older with 1/4 elliptic springs but it was a barn find in Reno. I wish I had found it!

170521_0001.jpg 170521_0003.jpg

4. Six Ball, do you have any more pics of that 490? That's spot on for what I want to do with my '22 chassis!!!

Haase- really looking forward to your build- any early Chevrolet project is a thumbs up in my book :D

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  5. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I have two more that don't show much more but I have some of some others that are similar. I'll also add some nice spring mounting drawings.

170521_0002.jpg 170521_0004.jpg 4842840335f230c623c2136cb07aa16a.jpg SAM_0546.jpg 490.5a.jpg 17157723_10155279036194267_9217940562771009641_o.jpg 17156208_10155279036199267_5235500364879223335_n.jpg

6. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

This may be a little closer to where Brian is headed. At least the springs are more like where he is starting.
    100_0179.jpg 100_0200.jpg 100_0197.jpg

7. Thanks bud! Hmmmm, never thought of using a 490 radiator shell with the later chassis- I like it :D

Six Ball likes this.
  8. SR100

SR100

Here's a Chev speedster project I fell in love with on the Model T club site:
    upload_2020-10-21_15-41-39.jpeg

upload_2020-10-21_15-42-14.jpeg

All I know is that it was said to have been sold at a San Diego swap meet in 2002.

9. Kume

Kume

Number 66 is for sale. About 19k us. A very well sorted and race proven machine. You just have to import it from gods own NZ

Sent from my SM-G930F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Haase

Haase

I believe they have a file. I hope to take the touring to the 60th anniversary meet in Bowling Green next July and have it judged. Those will be the right people to look at it closely.

I totally agree. Needed repairs, general maintenance and leaving it alone is the long-term plan for the car.

I hope it didn't make too big of a mess! Whenever is fine, take your time.

I don't think I need it, but I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks for following along!

That's really the way I see this build going in the end. I've always wanted to build a body and this is a great opportunity to do that. :D

kidcampbell71 and TFoch like this.
  11. Kume

Kume

Six Ball likes this.
  12. SR100- that's a favorite of mine as well. I've tried mocking it up, and there is no way to get the torque tube in that low without MAJOR reconstruction of the frame (which is probably why the seller has it sitting next to the car)

13. Haase

Haase

After days of messing with it, I finally got the rear axle apart. The wheel flange plates on the rear wheels would not come off the wheels. I ended up using a 3" cut off wheel to cut where the flange met the hub. Removing a chunk gave me enough room to wiggle it loose.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I mocked up the body to get an idea what I want to do with it and I laid my Tiltlok "fatman" steering wheel on the column. Does anyone have any information about it? I picked it up for cheap a few years ago and I've been hoarding it for a project like this. I found a Patent Drawing, but finding more information or even a picture of a similar wheel has been difficult.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

Very nice looking steering wheel! Never seen one like that! Progress! Yea! HAVE FUN!!!!

15. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

This is really looking good. I ran into a little issue with the crossmember but it will be on the way soon. Things are crazy here right now. Deer season, winter prep and the citric acid tank leaking. I need some Flex Seal! :eek: Don't give up on me!

48fordnut and TFoch like this.
  16. Haase

Haase

Thank you!

You're fine! You're only slowing down my build. Haha Just kidding. :D

17. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I'm slowing down yours a lot less than I've slowed mine, I think I have have turned mine off. :(

TFoch likes this.
  18. Kume

Kume

Ford model A wheels are an easy fit to those disc wheel hubs.

19. Come on @Six Ball you were on a roll!

20. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

It's a long way between on a roll and having a roller. :D

21. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

This looks like a neat project and provides some diversity. However, I think it would really cool and a little justified if you used a Ford 4 cylinder instead of the Chev...

22. Haase

Haase

I don't think so. Between my grandfather and I, we have like 7 or 8 Chevy four cylinder engines and tons of spare parts. In fact, I may buy a '28 engine tomorrow.

We don't have any Ford stuff, nor do we know anything about them... I'll likely stick with the Chevy.

23. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

It was years before any Ford four or ANYTHING else touched Bob Ruffi's record not the mention how the Spurgan and Giovanine roadster dominated the dry lakes. There are plenty of Ford four powered cars around. In the day a lot of the fast ones had Chevy heads. :eek: :D

24. Seriously- WHY would I take out a crossflow, OHV engine to put in a F head???

25. Haase

Haase

Not a lot of progress has been made, but I did score some parts over the weekend. My father and I spent the day going through a barn, digging through tractor parts and junk to get a stash of 1928 Chevrolet parts.

Some of the things that I found include: front/rear axles, springs, rims, ‘28 engine, ‘27 cylinder head, shackles, Jaxon wheel bolts, leaf spring hardware, alemite fittings, brake linkage, steering column, ‘27 hood and more.

After laying everything on the floor and talking with my dad, we’ve decided to go back again this weekend to grab some stuff that we left behind and look for even more goodies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks! My dad made those for me. After seeing your post, we drew plans for them so others can copy them.

[​IMG]

26. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

Great hall! You can't have too many pieces to choose from. I changed out the 27 front axel to a 28 when I put my avitar together, figured that The reverse elliot was stronger. Just a piece of mind for me! Will be waiting to see what you come back with tomorrow! Have Fun!

27. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

What a cool stash you uncovered. Glad someone who knows what they are looking at found it.

28. Haase

Haase

Alright, so my dad and I made another trip to dig through that barn and managed to fill the truck again. The big score was a stripped 1928 Chevrolet frame that was hanging from the ceiling.

[​IMG]

Other goodies include a set of rims, various body bits, a whole ‘28 rear body clip, ‘28 cowl, a couple hoods, running boards, and a ton of miscellaneous parts and hardware.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The frame is actually quite nice, with exception for the rear cross member. I think the frame laid upside down outside for a while and that cross member got Swiss cheese’d. With that said, I’ve decided to use this frame instead of the ‘26. It is larger/stronger, has standard front brakes and I have most of the bits to put it together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We’re going to make a bunch of measurements to see if I can swap in the unit from the ‘26 frame. If not, I guess I’ll have to make one.

29. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Great find! Do you still want the other front cross member? The '28 frame should be longer in the engine compartment area.

30. Haase

Haase

I meant to followup with you. I don't think I will be needing that cross member after all. Would you like me to still send some money for your trouble and acid spill?