Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Volcanization question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SteveClary, Oct 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveClary

SteveClary

Does anyone know how to permanently attach a white three inch wide, 1/8" rubber strip to the sidewall of 235/75R15 radial?

Specifically what bonding agent and what type of rubber would be most compatible with the composition of a sidewall of a modern radial tire?

Are there any cold cement options that get close to the heat processes commonly used?

If you're in the Fort Worth area and would be interested in this DIY experiment shoot me a line.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  2. I think you mean Vulcanization.

LOU WELLS, catdad49, wraymen and 4 others like this.
  3. SteveClary

SteveClary

4. Gofannon

Gofannon

5. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I don't think it will work.. At least it didn't work for me many many years ago.. The porta wall will wrinkle up after a very short time.. I think you're better off painting them or buying white lettered tires and spinning the tire to grind the black off for a nice, fairly wide real whitewall.. Just my take on it....

lothiandon1940 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  6. egads

egads

Easiest and best way would be call Diamondback. :):):D

VANDENPLAS and scrap metal 48 like this.
  7. SteveClary

SteveClary

Thanks Gofannon. I will research that bonding agent.

Does anyone else know how to permanently attach a white three inch wide, 1/8" rubber strip to the sidewall of 235/75R15 radial?

Specifically what bonding agent and what type of rubber would be most compatible with the composition of a sidewall of a modern radial tire?

Are there any cold cement options that get close to the heat processes commonly used?

If you're in the Fort Worth area and would be interested in this DIY experiment shoot me a line.

8. It's not something you can do in your garage, what I have posted is in layman's terms. HRP

Vulcanization is a chemical process in which the rubber is heated with sulphur, accelerator and activator at 140–160°C. The process involves the formation of cross-links between long rubber molecules so as to achieve improved elasticity, resilience, tensile strength, viscosity, hardness and weather resistance.

VANDENPLAS and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  9. bchctybob

bchctybob

Any chance you could get thinner white rubber like say 1/16”? It may conform to the sidewall better and not resist the contortions of the sidewall in motion - less load on the adhesive joint. I would try the contact cement used for inner tube patches.
    You might research vulcanizing patches and how they worked but putting even pressure and heat on a whole sidewall will require a massive fixture that will definitely make the whole deal not remotely cost effective.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  10. Budget36

Budget36

Maybe try a Chem site?

11. bchctybob

bchctybob

BTW, I’m going to experiment with a couple of the spray-on methods mentioned in your other thread. Never hurts to have options.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. BJR

BJR

Just buy white walls, the other shit just doesn't work.

scotty t, egads and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  13. SteveClary

SteveClary

Yes... thank you for that....

Does anyone know how to permanently attach a white three inch wide, 1/8" rubber strip to the sidewall of 235/75R15 radial?

14. Groundhog Day, sorry but it’s been done. Bill Murray finally figures it out towards the end if the movie.

15. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Replied on the other one.. Ive thought a modern urethane based adhesive like they use to glue wood floors down with might work for this exact thing. Its flexible but still strong as heck and sticks to anything. Would be easy enough to try.

16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

if tires are white walls find a old school shop that can shave/grind black off to expose more white - paint 'em - remember,tires heat up and expand/contract - glue alone will not work

egads and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  17. grumpy65

grumpy65

18. SteveClary

SteveClary

Thank you Lone Star Mopar. I will research that bonding agent.

Does anyone else know how to permanently attach a white three inch wide, 1/8" rubber strip to the sidewall of 235/75R15 radial?

Lone Star Mopar likes this.
  19. Many many years ago I actually worked in a Tire Recaping shop. Back in those days there was an actual process to add Whitwalls. Once you understand just how much a Tire flexes you'll understand why you can't just Glue on a white piece of rubber. Not to mention the Temp changes they are exposed to.

20. SteveClary

SteveClary

21. grumpy65

grumpy65

^^^ "People Who Say It Cannot Be Done Should Not Interrupt Those Who Are Doing It"

People who say it cannot be done sometimes actually know what they are talking about, and people who ask for expertise and guidance should sometimes humble themselves and be a little more receptive. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

34 GAZ, VANDENPLAS, RMONTY and 2 others like this.
  22. chrisp

chrisp

There are companies who vulcanize white rubber to tires, but not all brands of tires because on some of them the black bleeds through the white rubber and it has to be brand new tires.
    Everything else has been tried by other people and every time it leads to the same failures, yet some people are willing to try the same things hopping for different results.

Jalopy Joker and egads like this.
  23. Jeez Mate, you’ve asked your question, ignore the answers you don’t like and appreciate the answers you do like!! Why poke the bears? You started out so well, then,,,,
    You get more bees with honey than vinegar,,, constructive criticism.

wraymen and VANDENPLAS like this.
  24. SteveClary

SteveClary

25. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

I worked in a tire shop so I know a little about tires.

What you’re asking cannot be done DIY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  26. Well, at least your being polite and neutral this time around.

If it where me, I would check with a retread shop and see what they say and what products they use or can recommend.
    Like I said in your last thread , you won’t find someone to do this.
    But you may find someone in the industry who can point you down the right road.

try the tire patch companies like prima etc, they might now what glues and rubbers will work for what your thinking of doing.

If what your planning works and is cost effective enough it’s a good idea.

I would want to speak to industry experts in n something like this cause quite easily you can make a mess and be out a decent amount of money.

good luck !

27. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Quit trying to reinvent the wheel, or in this case, the whitewall tire.
    I think in the 70+ years that very creative, inventive, smart guys have been improving cars, building rods and customs, someone would have figured this out. Cali White walls tried it, and their method winds up with brown walls.

28. Shoe Goo.......that shit will stick to anything!

29. SteveClary

SteveClary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.