Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cleaning up a generator question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34 GAZ, Oct 22, 2020.

1. I,ve just dismantled a 59A & a 8BA generator because they looked rather crappy from the outside. Inside the cloth insulation tape is shot . Can i use standard black cloth insulation tape to replace the old stuff or is it special tape ? . Also there is no sign of paint anywhere on the inside , is this for ground purpose ? Surface rust at the moment. The two steel pads in the pic have allready been cleaned.
    FIELD.JPG

2. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Wrap it with glass cloth tape. I use Scotch 3M 69 for this kind of stuff. Be careful with the varnish coating on the coils. The varnish insulates the wire in the coil from shorting to itself. If the varnish is compromised, Glyptal insulating enamel can be used to repair it. Good luck

34 GAZ likes this.
  3. 34 GAZ likes this.
  4. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

This high strength fiberglass electrical tape has the following warning - "The cloth can absorb electrical insulating varnishes." - Not quite sure how that plays out on keeping the windings insulated...

EDIT: See the post immediately below, This cloth can be used with a fresh application on insulating varnish. Thanks to @Crazy Steve for this explanation.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    34 GAZ likes this.

5. That's not a warning, they're pointing out it can be varnished to help keep it in place. Which wouldn't be a bad idea....

This can be bought already varnished, but it's hard to wrap around anything neatly.

34 GAZ likes this.
  6. Good info, thanks. What about all the bare metal inside ? Leave bare or primer ?

7. A light coat of paint won't hurt...

34 GAZ likes this.
  8. patsurf

patsurf

i think you want those pole shoes metal to metal...

34 GAZ likes this.
  9. No, you don't... In fact, I'm a bit surprised to see those as a single chunk of metal. You will get a stronger magnetic field if the 'core' is laminated which you can see if you open up any small electric motor, or just look at the generator armature. But you do want to keep the thickness of any coating to a minimum.

34 GAZ likes this.