Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 300 6cyl in a shoebox?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tony Ray, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

That was one of the first things I noticed, on the cam card., but already figured I’d have to get a new cam for street use. As far as the rods, I wondered about that. I have 6 brand new 45 year old super rods that were still wrapped in plastic and newspaper. Curious how much hp this musta had.. I admit part of me sees all these parts again, and I’m tempted to go with the stroker 302 in my 51 and try to find another falcon or maverick just to let my dad race these again, but man those Weber’s would look so tricked out under the hood of my shoebox.... and I hate to see them sit longer. I’ve had offers for the stuff before, though some guy tried telling my 1500. For everything was the best I’d get.. I think I’d rather put it on a stand then sell it all off for that. So it’s either race car or 51..

2. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

...on his Pinto gasser.
    His Maverick used a stock type U-flow head. Hybrid heads were not legal for H/MP.

s55mercury66 likes this.
  3. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

The Superods are set up for pinned bearing shells. You will need to get the bearings shells drilled for pins.

Pipes likes this.
  4. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

Thanks for the information!

5. sunbeam

sunbeam

I don't know from experence but some name engine builders say the way to get aluminum rods to live on the street is to let the engine temp normalize before buzzing the engine.

6. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

The problem with aluminum is that it does not like fatigue loading. With aluminum, you can never get the stresses low enough to develop an infinite life like steel or iron. So at some point, those aluminum rods are going to come apart, no matter how gentle you are with the engine or what ever warm up procedure you follow. This is why airplanes have such rigorous inspection procedures and service life standards.

7. Chiss

Chiss
    from S.C.

A C-4 is good for Easy 500HP what in the hell are you talking about...............?

8. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D This looks like another fun build.Love the Webber setup.I`ll saddle up and go along for the ride.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

9. TuneFish

TuneFish

Just read the entire thread. I bought an F150 with the 300 and told the salesman I planned to pull a skid steer loader with it... he said I’d trash the motor in no time. Long story short, I traded it with 150K and the thing pulled the same as new.

My vote... put it in the 51, your pops will be happy to take a ride along with.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  10. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

I wish I could find the hopped up 6 that was once in my avatar. You need to run it in your 51. It definitely is the cats meow.

11. southcross2631

southcross2631

I remember seeing a red white and blue Pinto with a Boss headed 300 six cylinder at the Sportsnationals in Bowling Green in 75.They set the record and won Modified Eliminator that day. We were there running G/Gas. We could not get past the Clark and Coonce 63 split window.
    That 6 was bad news. Call Quain Stott about building a straight axle Falcon with your 300 in it. There are a few guys building inline's to run with the southeast gassers.

12. v8flat44

v8flat44

Pipes, be the 1st to do it...awesome idea. Check out "Inline six performance" web site, you'll like it. mike

firstinsteele likes this.
  13. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

14. belair

belair

Yeah- do it. I put a 6 in my 48 and left the 6 in my 55. They are great engines, and the 300 is one of the best.

15. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

I haven’t given up on this idea yet, but one of the biggest drawbacks is the size of the 300. I really didn’t want to cut up the firewall so I have to get figure out that and the motor mounts. Would have been easier if I still had the stock 226 , 6 in it I think so I had an idea of engine placement and mounts , etc. but instead I’m dealing with a 283. Guess I’ll find out this spring. I’d like to physically set the 300 in there to see first hand what mods need to be done.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

belair likes this.
  16. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

The 300 is about 3" longer than the 223, so you will need to come up with a three-inch savings somewhere.

Move the radiator forward - on the other side of the horse collar?
    Shorten the water pump?
    Eliminate the mechanical fan / fan clutch and use an electrical fan?
    Use a late model serpentine accessory drive?

17. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

Should be able to get a better idea this spring when the ice and snow melt and I can pull the 283 out and check the 300. I know the rad on the 6 is in front of the horse collar. So may have to look into water pumps and serpentine set up. Then decide what block I’m going to use since I really don’t think I want to go with the aluminum rods and have them come apart on a driver. Right now I’m getting everything for the suspension. 9 inch rear, new drop springs, blocks, shackles shocks and front coils. Been working a lot of OT so little by little I’m gaining ground. By spring I should have all the suspension parts, disc brake conversion for front, possibly for back , and booster and master cylinder. Only thing I should have left is the motor mounts and trans. I figured I’d work from the bottom up. get the suspension stuff first then when I can get in my buddies garage in the spring figure out motor.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

19. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

What ever became of this RaginPin3Appl3 guy? He asked about a million questions , got all kinds of help and even some free parts and then dropped off the face of the earth.

20. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

Not to much unfortunaely.. I got the suspension all done, and rebuilt the tranny for the 283, I just really have an issue cutting that firewall for the 6.. Right now im gettgn ready to customisze the body, but I know the 283 will eventually be removed for a ford, so there is still a possibility!

21. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Soooo... You're getting ready to customize the body, to make visible modifications to it, but you have an issue with cutting the firewall?

Rex_A_Lott, Tony Ray and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  22. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

Ah it’s a little more then that I guess.. I’m trying to keep the shoebox traditional for the most part or at least pre 1960, though I am running disk brakes on front so I guess I’m a way it kinda kills that.. right now I’m going to run the 283, the goal is to get it on the road and drive it next spring I hope. I got a lot going on between work , working on the house, trying to get cash up for a garage and things like that. I still have all the 300 stuff, the only thing my dad sold off was the super t 10 trans and that was a crash box from Ohio Racing I think, I was going to use it once but was told I couldn’t get synchronizers for it to work because how it was set up. I am keeping my eyes open for another 300 though.. justttt in case. But if it goes in it will be in a couple years right before I get the shoebox painted.

I guess a real big part of me wished I could find another falcon sedan delivery and have my dad help me build it like he used to have then watch him go race again.. I think that’s the biggest reason of all. I’d just like to see him run it like he used to..

23. Trying to build 2 Cars in 1 is a project destoned to Fail. Sounds like you need to decide if your going to build a Car for yourself or your Dad. What ever that decision is get on with it as best you can and do the other project at another time. We all seem to want way past our Wallets at times. I was told once we can do anything we want but few ever get to do everything we want. I bet your Dad can relate to that.

24. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

At the end of the day the shoebox is going to be a driver.. part of me thinks using the 6 while being cool would be a waste on what he built since I’d have to redo almost everything just to run it on the street.. I’d like to have the shoebox done in 2-3 years completely then do a falcon.. Plus my kid thinks falcons are really cool once she heard pop pop used to drag race..I got a few years to figure it out.. for now the coupe is gonna be more traditional.

25. Any progress on the '51?

26. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

Yes tons!! But the 300 didn’t go in.. I’m going to wait for another falcon to come my way and do it up like my dads drag car he had in the early 70s. I ended up getting the 283 the previous owner put in it, gone over. The engine compartment was smoothed out and painted, tons of modifications done to body.. I have a build thread devoted to it..

Attached Files:

jimmy six and 210superair like this.
  27. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Well Tony Ray, I see your logic and it is nice to see the progress you've made on the shoebox. I know many of us on HAMB will be sad to see this thread come to an end so if you get to that Falcon and put a six in 'er start a build thread on that project too. In the mean time I'd keep looking for 300 hipo parts. It seems like they are hard to find used and it also seems like more folks are looking for some so the prices on used stuff has risen significantly in the past couple of years. Your money will be safe in the form of 300 hot rod parts. Peace out. FTF

Tony Ray likes this.
  28. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

If it changes and we decide to let the stuff go I will definitely give a shout out.. it does bug me having all that stuff just sitting there.. it just wasn’t feasible running the 6 in the shoebox with the aluminum rods, magneto and all the other racing parts.. though man I still would love to put that weber carb set up on something!!