Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Brakes on 28/34 Fords...........What are you using?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ekimneirbo, Oct 22, 2020.

1. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Whats works well on 28-34 Ford cars. A 32 is hopefully in my future and I'm planning what I want to use on it. All of these models are about the same weight and should have about the same braking needs. I definitely will be using discs on the front and most likely drums on the rear. The rear is still up for grabs as I might just go discs all the way around. The question in my mind is whether I need to use a power booster or not on a light car like this..........and if I do use a booster, what is working well for those who have one?;)

2. Disks and power? You may be on the wrong forum to be asking these questions.

Automotive Stud and alchemy like this.
  3. On my 32 sedan I used 53-56 F-250 backing plates and guts and Wilson Welding drums on the front, and 46-48 Ford with NORS guts and drums on the rear. No booster.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  4. -Brent-

-Brent-

Juice fronts, converted to self-adjusting by @Bass and Pontiac drum rears, with later backing plates, again for self-adjusters.

60-62 Chevy truck master cyl.

ekimneirbo and scrap metal 48 like this.

5. I have never installed power brakes on prewar rides for a customer.
    Nothing looks better than fords juice drums, especially if used with Buick finned drums.

6. alchemy

alchemy

I’ve got a 32 Ford with 40 Ford brakes all around, pressurized by a 68 Mustang master.

ekimneirbo and stillrunners like this.
  7. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

39-48 on all my Model A builds....

stillrunners likes this.
  8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

F1 in front 47-8 ford on back on my A.

my totaly stock 53 ford could put your forehead into the dash it stopped so fast.

stillrunners likes this.
  9. goldmountain

goldmountain

Buick drum brakes. '62 drums and guts with '58 backing plates, '46 Ford hubs. I would like to switch the backing plates to early Ford like Brian Bass does not sure of all the steps required.

10. 31 Chopped Coupe

31 Chopped Coupe

46-48 Drums front and rear with stock master cylinder using 39 Ford pedal assembly.. Stops pretty good considering the age of technology that we are dealing with. I like the look of the big 12" Ford drums.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  11. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

39 juice brakes wide five drums for me. They work great and I really like the wide five look.

12. goldmountain

goldmountain

No one mentioned anything about disc brakes and boosters. What kind of forum is this?

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

My '28 has '40 front brakes. My '29 has '40 front with Buick drums. And my '32 has '48 fronts.
    They all have drum brake rears.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  14. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Using repro Lincoln brakes on all four corners on my 33 coupe - bought from Hotrod Works in Idaho.
    Using Buick finned drums on the front and Ford drums on the rear. IMG_0743.jpg

15. alchemy

alchemy

Where's all the Wilwood guys the OP was hoping for?

-Brent- likes this.
  16. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1975 Bronco 9 inch and brakes on the rear with early 50's F1 brakes on the front on my 1931 A.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  17. 51 mercules

51 mercules

My Model A has 40 Ford brakes all the way around!

ekimneirbo likes this.
  18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

A few things to consider.

1: that car weighs nearly nothing, the discs will likely not stop it any better than the old drums. Your not trying to stop a freight train your trying to stop a shopping cart.

2: if your going to have any sort of snotty cam in the motor it’s likely that your booster won’t get enough vacuum to really be of any help and you’d be better served and get a better pedal feel from a non power set up.

just thought I’d add information towards your initial question which leaned towards discs etc

ekimneirbo and Just Gary like this.
  19. '31 Model A with a rowdy flathead... drums all around, F1 up front, '40 Ford out back. Stops just fine (goes even better).

ekimneirbo and Tim like this.
  20. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Disc brakes and power assisted brakes were both available on American production cars before 1965. While A 32 is a much smaller and lighter vehicle, It still needs to stop when needed. There are plenty of disc brake kits available for them and other kits which conceal the rotors if nostalgia is the owners desire. Other pre65 vehicles like the 57 Chevy in my Avataur are much heavier and would benefit from better brakes.
    I have a 56 Chevy pickup which we are building for my son. He was about 35 years old when we bought it. He had never driven a non-power brake vehicle with drums all around. He drove it across our back yard and when it came time to stop, he thought something was wrong with the brakes. Lot more ooomph than he ever expected. Now my son has arthritus in his knee and pushing hard on anything......especially over and over is a problem. He has had surgery on it already and a knee replacement is expected in the future.......just trying to hold off as long as possible. Since I'm no spring chicken, the 32 will eventually become his. I'm simply trying to determine if the 32 can stop without too much effort or if a lot of guys use the brakes with the small vacuum assist. The chart below is a timeline on brake development and it shows that both power brakes and disc brakes were avaiable on domestic vehicles prior to 1965. I saw somewhere that they actually were standard issue on 1965 Falcons.
    Brake Evolution 001.jpg