Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Trial Run of a 589 CI Four-Cylinder Simplex Speed Car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by T-Head, Jan 28, 2017.

1. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Just finished a mechanical rebuild on this Simplex that is the same type of many that were successfully raced in the 1908-'15 period. This car is capable of about 90 MPH with the larger front sprockets that were fitted to it.

If you would like to learn more about the rebuild and the newly machined bronze-backed and babbitted main, rod, and cam bearings made for the engine, along with newly cast and machined brake drums, follow the link at the end of the video to see a ten-part feature of the rebuilding.

Budget36, xl54ss, mgtstumpy and 13 others like this.
  2. Interesting video, thanks for sharing!

mitch 36 likes this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The driving experience...I am always amazed at the amount of preparation for heading out on the open road some of these vintage racers require. They were different times indeed...Gives me a bigger appreciation for hopping in turning the key popping it into gear and go. Even the ole Hotrod has an elevated preparation but quite minimal when compared to these old beasts. Looks like a lot of fun regardless.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  4. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Thank you for sharing!

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

^^ That's why they took along a riding mechanic. To get it running, keep it running, and fix it when it stopped running. They did some magnificent things with machinery 100 years ago, when cars were in their infancy but it took a lot of development, to make cars reliable and easy to drive.

Stogy likes this.
  6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I really enjoyed the video! I love these old engines with their guts exposed; you can really get the mechanical nature of them. If anyone has the idea that this may be O/T, look at that dropped front axle; that would look good on an old hot rod. It's obvious the dropped axle wasn't developed in California!

slimcat7m3 likes this.
  7. catdad49

catdad49

Thanks for sharing, looks like hot rods have come a long way!

8. adam401

adam401

Man the mechanicals of that car are beautiful

9. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Great video.

Thanks

10. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Absolutely glorious video of an early speed machine!
    Low revs lots of torque, and a great sound with the cut out open.
    I help out at a private collection, and have truly learned to appreciate the pioneers of the automobile industry.
    KK

11. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Great stuff. I wonder what that baby was like on a rutted dirt road! Gary

12. Great to see you back T-Head!!!

Got to work on a Simplex Touring years ago in Schwenksville, PA- they are fantastic automobiles :)

13. HarryT

HarryT
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great video! I love the fact that you actually had to know what made the vehicle run before you took it down the road.
    Jim

14. Appreciate you sharing this, bring home how much progress was made in the fist 50 years after the Simplex (Think 1967 Pontiac for instance) compared to 1967 to now. It's mostly electronic progress. (My 2 cents).

Thanks, again.

15. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Mac, have not had the time to stop by very often due to running The Old Motor and because the shop has been filled with early racing cars that need work for the last several years.

Yes, as you learned working on that car the Simplex is a very well built early car.

16. man that was a big car too.....talk about man handling it.....thanks for sharing...but....I do have a dash kinda like that....thought it was an early airplane dash.....

17. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

T-head : I know that you are pressed for time! If you were to get a break, how 'bout pictures of some of those racecars you're working on? (Assuming the owners are willing to share pictures, of course!!) After all Josh Shaw is NOT the only one here who "joneses" on old racecars!! (said Captain Obvious)

18. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

How they would have thrilled to such smooth paved roads in 1910!

19. That impressed me as well...awesome video..

20. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

21. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

22. noboD

noboD

I had forgotten all about this wonderful video. David gets to play with some incredible toys.

23. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Didn't see the link for the ten part series...