Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects SCOT supercharged Smith Jiggler flathead V8-60

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 54popular, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Considering the exhaust had a short travel and did,nt leave much heat was that enough for cooling? Did they run cooler or hotter than a stock 60? Also there was a dual carb adapter made by Floyd Hulaggard that looks good I will add it to my blog so you can see it. I am doing that because I do not or have not figured out how to post photos on this sight. I agree it would look great with two 81 carbs on it and probably be enough air flow.
    Mighty fine lookin engine. I,m not jealous at all! anyway check the blog www.1948fordpickup.blogspot.ca.
    27TV8

2. 54popular

54popular

That's a nice looking adapter that Floyd made. Do you know who retails them? I was also thinking of something like this to give it the Frenzel look. Thoughts? And I don't know if the Jiggler motor ran hotter or cooler than a stock V8-60. Guess there's only one way to find out.

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  3. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is an old-head mechanic named Bill Jones in San Antonio who still turns wrenches. He is in his 80's and has so many stories about working on all things fast. I believe he had quite a role in designing that OHV conversion. He very likely knows something about what could be used on baby flatheads. That is all I have on him.

4. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Eliminating the exhaust exiting through the block should have immediately cooled the flathead.

5. 54popular

54popular

Another thought, instead of 97s or 81s maybe it would look better with dual Scott 97 injectors or dual carbs with Scott 97 tops?

Attached Files:

Katuna likes this.
  6. 54popular

54popular

Or I have one of these Meteor injectors that is NOS. Maybe if I find another maybe I could run two of them? No idea how they perform though.

Attached Files:

7. Hi, No I got mine from Floyd and have tried to contact him but am unable. Last time we spoke he was taking off in a motorhome to explore The Americas. I wanted to invite him here for Victorias Deuce day. That was few years ago.
    27TV8 AKA Thomas

8. AULIZ

AULIZ

I had 2500 ScoT in my olivegreen Roadster. I welded Y-sling and had 2 x 94 carb. Works good and I like more 94 cabs because You have power valves. (idle, power v., main jets).

Now I have twin plug 221cid and changed 97 carbs to 2 x 94 ford. 8-10times carbs open, change jets, powervalves and now works 100% and runs very good.

If You have good compression ratio, good cam, You need 2 carb !

Im getting ready 288cid ScoT 4000 flathead and I use in that case Stromberg 81 carbs. Flows more than 97model.
    If I remember right 81 flows 350-380cfm each and little more if fix trottle shaft, trottles,...

Your engine looks very good !!! First time I see those heads.
    Good Luck!

A

9. oj

oj

I'd pass on the injectors because whatever driveline you manage to cram into that Austin has got to be fragile as old chicken bones and you won't be able to finesse the clutch as well with injection as a carb.
    Those heads are incredible and this will be a killer build, please keep us up to date.
    A buddy has a reputation for working on them old Austins, they are teensyweensie, you can deliver one in a pickup bed. He has the English Coupe (RHD) right now, the rumbleseat is hardly bigger than a milk crate with cushion - the pic with 2 people isn't really showing how small they are.

10. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

wierd i saw this post. i have a set of jigglers and i was just looking at them today. i need a rocker and a couple other parts if you have any xtra or know of any. i talked to Speedy Bill a few years ago about the heads and he said they ran hot and were used in a lot of hydroplanes a nd that the owners took them off and through them in the lake, and thats where you can find them,Ha Ha. mine had like asphalt in some of the fins, i guess the grease from the rockers ran down to the head and when dirt mixed with the hot grease it made asphalt, had to chip it out.not many sets left, Speedy said he only knew of 5 sets befor i called him. i have a realy cool 2 carb log manifold w/mine. hope you get er runnin.

11. 54popular

54popular

I wish I had spare parts but I only have enough for my set of heads. You should sell me your set so I can fix mine when they decide to have a meltdown :)

12. Any updates on this old thread.

13. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8