Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 Dodge Engine Swap Q's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stevie G, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Who's put a late model V-8 into a late 40's early 50's Dodge/Plymouth?
    Looking for options to rebuilding the flathead since machine shop costs are so darned high.
    Do I need to change the yoke from the fluid drive to put in a 727 or 904.

2. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

cool. these things are coming out of the woodwork. I just got a '47 3 window coupe.

3. Big Dad

Big Dad

I put a 440 in a 1946 De soto

4. squirrel

squirrel

a rearend swap might be a good idea...better brakes (and parking brakes), 1 piece axles, modern ujoint design.

5. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

What kinda motor mounts did you use.

6. Big Dad

Big Dad

motor came out of a 1976 Chrysler New Yorker they have "spool" type
    We just used those made ears off the frame for it to meet up with
    .. It was not too bad, pm me your e mail, I''ll zing some shots over
    they are too big too post --Has to be all mopar for me
    727 auto and put a 8 3/4 under it too

7. George

George

46-8 Plym/Dodge 318 drops right in if you get rear sump pan, oil pick up tube, dipstick & tube from van or 4X4. On 46-8 the driverside ex. man. on early 70s Dart curls around the steering like it was made for it! slight fender triming & one dent to clear firewall. engine off sets 1" toword pass. side. Should be simular for yours.

8. That's the kind of info I was looking for.
    Thanks!

9. George

George

Ply-Do makes engine mounts or do it yourself. Thier tranny mount/crossmember is way over priced, you can do it fairly easy.I second the comment on the rear axle, get a modern one.

10. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

Stevie, I got a plydo catalog at the house I can look up part numbers and prices if you like. I think they are pretty reasonable compaired to other motor swaps. around $100 to $150 if I remember.

11. Thanks guys.
    We'll see what the customer thinks.

12. 4woody

4woody

The Tex Smith "Building Mopar Hotrods" book has lots of detail if you are putting in a Mopar V8. Well worth the $20 for the book. SBC is also pretty easy of course. No matter what you use, it'll end up having to be offset toward the passenger side to get everything to fit.

I'll third the motion on putting in a modern rear. There are loads out there that'll fit easily.

13. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

does anyone have a copy of this book. It is out of print!

14. Try these:
    www.bookfinders.com

They're always great with helpful info, actually found a book there printed in 1881 about my great-great grandfather. Also if you look for the book on Amazon, they can get it through used book dealers for you. Tex's Mopar book is a great reference book on Mopar's, am glad I got one years ago!

15. squirrel

squirrel

I got the book years ago, but it looked like too much work to build the mopar hot rods, so we sold them. Unfortunately I have to keep the book because I dig books.

16. I'm gonna buck the trend. Why not retain the six? Parts for sixes are cheap as chips. Example; set of pistons from Andy Bernbaum = $120. Rings = $45. Valves = $9. Flatheads are cool.

17. naki kid

naki kid

I put a 305 chevy in my 52 dodge custom with a turbo 350 to a 10bolt diff sub framed the front end it made it a good cruiser good on gas.the reason i used the chevy was it came in a deal and the original motor was stuffed.

18. Dcgreek

Dcgreek

I want to put a 383 in my 49 business coup. Did you have to move the steering collom? What other tips can you give me? Thanks for your time . [email protected]

19. daliant

daliant

It would help to move the steering column and box over if you want to put a big block in a '49, the more room the better. Some people ditch the original box and hang a chevy cavalier rack on the frame for more engine clearance, and some people ditch the whole front part of the frame and clip it with a newer more modern front end like chevy s10, dakota, nova, etc... It all depends on what your looking for out of your ride.

Oh and congratulations for resurrecting a nearly 8 year old thread.....