Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Where do I start

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rob Stumpf, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Rob Stumpf

Rob Stumpf

Latest project is a 29/30 willys. All I have is body and frame...I’d like to build a pretty traditional roadster...what kind of running gear should I be hunting for? Just flatheads? All advice welcome..cheers 6F25C29F-6A84-4987-BF1F-C95633843F12.png 83C1DC4D-E8CC-4F56-A03F-D8BB6044E9BC.png

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    VANDENPLAS likes this.
  2. Gofannon

Gofannon

Didn't all Willys come standard with a Chrysler Hemi?:rolleyes:

3. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

Nailhead Buick or Olds or Y block ford or ......lots to choose from

Nicholas Coe and VANDENPLAS like this.
  4. Pick an era..acquire the pieces that were available during that time frame, and build accordingly.

-Brent-, Chappy444 and tb33anda3rd like this.

5. And Halibrand small window wheels, tilt 'glass front end, 'Vair steering gear, Hydro tranny, narrowed '57 Olds rear, 5" riser blocks on front end. But only on '33-'42 models.

upspirate and Nicholas Coe like this.
  6. Where to start? Sandblaster, TIG welder, Hammer and Dollies. I would be tempted to turn it into a true roadster, cut the tops of the doors and windshield frame off.... just a "little extra work" ;)
    Then pick an era and start sourcing parts... I am in the midst of a flathead phase right now so....
    But Nail-heads and Y-block are cool... Maybe go the unusual route and drop in a 53-54 Factory Supercharged Kaiser 226 flat 6 motor... I think they came in the Manhattan model...
    The possibilities are endless...lol
    Chappy

evil clown likes this.
  7. To fit in here, the running gear should be pre 65. It has to be expensive, hard to acquire and hard to get replacement parts for, which will require lengthy downtime. It'll help if it's not very efficient or reliable also. But above all, and most important, whatever you finally settle on must meet the approval of the HAMB.

Cosmo50, Texas57, XXL__ and 5 others like this.
  8. RMONTY

RMONTY

I'd use an S-10 frame and an LS engine. :eek:

Just kidding! Don't hate!

hotrodjack33, B Bay Barn and GordonC like this.
  9. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Find someone in your area and buy him a few beers and pick his brain. There are a million ways to go about building a rod and much of it has to do with your personal likes and dislikes. Just me but I'd start with building up the chassis to where you have a roller then you can decide what kind of drivetrain you want. Looks like the body is pretty complete so there would be less work there. I run a flathead in mine with a 4 speed but think the early Olds motors are pretty cool in all old hot rods. If this is a first time effort do a LOT of reading on here. You'll get some ideas.

pitman likes this.
  10. Find a roadster you like, check out the list of ingredients, build something similar...

11. adam401

adam401

I think for someone building for the first time its worth considering buying a parts car. Something with a v8, trans and rear complete and running. Something inexpensive (relative term nowadays). 60s or 70s GM 4 door?? There's something to be said for getting all your drivetrain parts together and compatible. You can upgrade to more glamorous parts on your next car but there's no replacement for just getting one on the road. Keep it simple and you'll get on the road quicker and be enjoying the car. Get fancy on the next one.

12. bob b.

bob b.
    from peoria az.

if your looking at 50 60 build SMALL BLOCK CHEVY 4 speed 55-64 chevy rear cant go wrong and cheep

Jibs and redo32 like this.
  13. Rob Stumpf

Rob Stumpf

What should I be looking for as running gear. Did traditional rods use any rear ends other than ford banjo type? Thinking of trying to stay pre 54...but cost and availability likely to dictate

14. pitman

pitman

Tis a Coupe!
    Don't even think, of cutting it.
    Else you end up w/a Coupster. :rolleyes: bring the body back to what was, roll the winders up, and take a damsel for a ride. ;)
    (Here, you have permission, to chop it.)

15. goldmountain

goldmountain

It being a Willys, why bother looking for Ford banjo rear end? Lots of different more easily obtained stuff out there. Keep it as a coupe instead of a botched up coupster.

pitman and redo32 like this.
  16. Unique Rustorations likes this.
  17. Also, those were 6 cylinder powered cars. So, you may look into early souped up 6's for engine ideas. TRJ has an issue with a Chevy couple and roadster that had hot Stovebolt sixes in them. Cool hot rods, both of them

18. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I see my name mentioned,
    'might as well chime in,
    First thing I would do is a mock up.
    Start leaning, propping, clamping pieces together.
    Stand back and walk around it.
    Take pictures, study the pictures, they give a very different perspective than what you see when standing next to it.
    Keep moving parts around until it looks good.
    Add parts to the mock up, the more complete the better, body, frame, engine, transmission, rear end, wheels, tires... Everything.
    There are lots of traps you need to be aware of, don't run out and buy the tires you've been drooling over, this may take years, you don't want to finally get it on the road with old tires.. take the time to plan out basics, where will the battery go? how big and where will the gas tank be?
    Sit in it as soon as possible, visualize.

By this time you should have a plan for how everything fits, how it will go together and in what sequence.

The rest is easy.

19. Paul

Paul
    Editor

As for what engine to use, this being a traditional hot rod and custom site I assume this is your intent.
    Pick a time frame you want to build to and choose an engine from that period.
    You said flathead, that makes me think dry lakes post war.
    Somebody said Hemi, that makes me thing early '60s drag strip.
    Both excellent choices.
    Once you have a plan stick to it.

Unique Rustorations and -Brent- like this.
  20. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

The way you have those parts laid out I think it's screaming for a flathead of some type! Try a Dodge for example.

21. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

I'd start with some floorboards and get the body straight. Then mock it up like @Paul says.

Paul and 0NE BAD 51 MERC like this.
  22. -Brent-

-Brent-

@Rob Stumpf what style/era do you like? Do you picture it with fenders or fenderless? Do you like tire-smoking power or something a bit more conservative?

Do you enjoy the hunt for parts or would you prefer an easier/faster project?

pitman and Tman like this.
  23. chucka

chucka

You started this with "latest project is a 29/30 willys", like it could be either. In other words like you don't have a title! I'd sure hate to see you spend a lot of time, money and so on, then find out you can't drive it. Don't want to sound like a wet blanket, but "been there, done that". Not fun, been lots of threads on this subject before!

24. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Not to rain on your parade, but have you looked into the titling process in your state? When you drag something out of the woods or "barn" that is where you start. All the "traditional" parts in the world won't get it on the road if the "paperwork" isn't there. Back in the day we use to buy a 10 or 15 year old doner car and rob the drive train for our hot rods. Now days you have to go back about 35 years or more just to get a 305 and a 10 bolt out of a Monte Carlo or Malibu. Things like Nailheads, Hemi's and Y blocks are out there but they are either about the same shape as your project or they think they are worth a small fortune. Around here it is getting hard to fine machine shops period let alone finding anyone with the knowledge to work on even 60's and 70's stuff let alone anything else . I really do wish you the best on your project. Just be mind full of the pitfalls involved. Larry

25. Muttley

Muttley

They should have.

26. Rob Stumpf

Rob Stumpf

ok...what is a coupe vs. coupster?

27. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Ah, "where do I start?" was a loaded question..

goldmountain and -Brent- like this.
  28. pitman

pitman

Coupe has been guillotined,
    Becomes s coupster.
    Usually obvious.all upper regions may look cut & questionable. If your heart is set on a roadster, someone else is aching for a coupe!

29. A coupe that has been turned into a de facto roadster

30. Rob Stumpf

Rob Stumpf

don't i need a roof to stay a coupe?