Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods EVER FINISH A HOT ROD OR CUSTOM & NOT ENJOY IT AS MUCH AS WHEN IT WAS UNFINISHED?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 15, 2020.

1. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had my 63 impala painted candy apple red...hated owning that car after that...magnet for trouble since day one...

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  2. Acquiring project, searching for parts, building, anticipation/excitement for completion..keeps me in this hobby.
    Interest seems to fade once it's done, which explains why I've had so many cars.
    I envy those guys who keep their cars forever, even so, that hasn't been my own experience.

3. sacminiwheels

sacminiwheels

There is something to having an in progress rod in the garage and being content with working on it from time to time but not being concerned with completion.

4. I too have went through a lot of cars and in my case I usually had to sell something to dive into another project, I soon realized that I hated being without a hot rod will I was trying to build another, I went through that a couple of times and it was depressing.

I learned that I needed a project in the garage and as long s I had a driver I was content.

Bac in the early 70's when our girls were small and we took them all over the country in a 1940 Sedan my dream car was a 1932 sedan, and I started building and trading cars until I traded my running 1939 Ford convertible to racinman for a glass 3 window body and a non running '32 original sedan.

That was 23 years ago and I sold the glass body and invested the money in my sedan, this car u=is a keped for sure,in fact I'm driving it today. HRP

3W JOHN and 40FORDPU like this.
  5. I am another builder that likes to sell. If I'm going to drive it, it has to look good. I'm tired of cleaning but that's the price you pay for who you are and your standards. I've driven some for test miles before paint. I didn't enjoy that much. As a kid growing up with Rod and Custom, I wanted the shiny neat cars too. :) Primer is temporay for me.

3W JOHN, olscrounger and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. With a moniker like hotrodprimer you can imagine I consider primer a long term finish. HRP

Driver50x and 3W JOHN like this.
  7. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I just get antsy and want something different.

8. John ,I think you trade cars every time the gas gauge shows 1/4 of a tank.:rolleyes: HRP

hotrodjack33 and 3W JOHN like this.
  9. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

10. For some it is the journey, the process, the acquisition and the ensuing problem solving in a “build”.
    For others it is the destination, the finished product and the pride in the accomplishment.
    I lean to the former.

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  11. midroad

midroad

What about being very close to finishing but not taking the last step because it will be finished and you won't have anything more to do.
    I know the answer is "Drive the wheels off it" but that's not the same as working on your hotrod.

Or you could build it like this and not worry about "finishing" it at all.

Copy of DSCF3705.jpg

BradinNC, dsiddons, 3W JOHN and 2 others like this.
  12. You talking to me? :D HRP

[​IMG]

Hotrodmyk, 3W JOHN and midroad like this.
  13. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I've seen this same story played out time and time again. Guys I know spend cubic dollars on a car due to a latest trend or trying to get it perfect only to find little satisfaction when it's done. It's an interesting topic and has probably affected all guys into cars at one time or another. And probably something anyone who's not into cars would understand.

Driver50x, HOTRODPRIMER and 3W JOHN like this.
  14. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I can relate.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I can relate. :cool:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I like my cars to run well, have a nice mellow tone the Dynomax 17749 never lets me down. I like them to handle well, ride smoothly with no rattles.. As far as looks, I just keep them clean, I like them to have that clean but lived in look.. I spray the under carriage and inner fenders with Lubriplate spray grease so riding in the rain is a joy..

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Have any pictures of the truck you wanted to paint yellow Danny?
    We need to harass you.

I too love having a project in the garage.
    But having it setting for 5-10 yrs would never work for me. And for me to afford a project I’d have to sell something
    Problem is I like what I have and can’t sell them. So I’m stuck. My choice I guess. But at least I can always tear apart my pickup and do something fun with it. It’ll never be done.

I know guys who never want to finish a project. They don’t like messing with details. They’ll get them running safely and sell them.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Finish??? I didn't think that was possible at least not for more than a couple weeks till I'd think of a way to do something else or someone better

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. Rick, I have posted a photo of my primer red truck in the past but I don't think I have posted the artist rendering, since you ask I took a photo of the painting my friend Fred Pearman did for me, like I said I wish I had followed through with the yellow. HRP

100_2995.JPG

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    Petejoe and midroad like this.
  20. Driver50x

Driver50x

I’m facing that dilemma right now. I finished my T-Bucket in March of this year (mostly). I’ve been driving it and really enjoying it since then. I’m debating painting it this winter, but I’m afraid I may not like it as much after it is painted. I also have a set of baby moon hub caps for it, but I’ve never even put them on because I decided that I like the simple, unfinished look

Just this morning I took it to a car show in Sarasota, FL. Out of roughly 100 cars, mine was probably the cheapest car at the show. And yet it was probably one of the most popular cars there, judging by the number of people gawking at it and taking pictures of it. Every time I drive it, people are honking, waving, and giving me compliments.

There is something to be said for a “down & dirty” hot rod. I know plenty of people disagree, but I like it this way.

5429F5BC-D418-428D-937E-1F3BACB4DF8E.jpeg

21. \\

It;s a simple fact if you roll in to a show with a hot rod that is unfinished and park next to several finished cars there is usually a crowd arounf the unfinushed cars, I have witnessed it many times,

Some people ask questions others turn up their nose but none the less they do get attention. HRP

22. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Don’t you dare paint that!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

midroad likes this.
  23. NAT WILLIAMS

NAT WILLIAMS

A friend of mine summed it up for me, "If we had the money to do what we wanted to do ,it would not be as much fun." I can never completely finish a car because when you get there you start refining it till there is no joy. I build hot rods not show cars, everybody knows that, they see my cars they know that they are mine.

midroad, j3harleys and Driver50x like this.
  24. jhexide

jhexide
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

yeah,all these years,ive wanted a T bucket,bought a project off the site,you know, built it like i wanted,drove it to a few shows,now i want a daily closed car to drive, 20170808_160450.jpg

25. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

What question proposed to those who start a project with eyes wide open. My brother had plans in his head, cash saved up in his bank account and with my meager reserves, had enough money to get what we wanted to get the ball rolling on our first modified hot rod. When we started the build of the 1940 Willys Coupe for the Gas Coupe and Sedan Class, we knew we were limited in our cash reserves. But, we had enough to buy all of the basic parts to get the project rolling. Teenage work hours were free, so the only cost was going to be the actual costs of the parts necessary.

His creativity started a small business with legal means to purchase parts at a dealer’s discount. That helped us tremendously. Plus, it gave us some business reputation transactions. We did make some money buying and selling parts to our friends, but that was not the main purpose of our small speed shop.

Our build was limited by our budget, but it was trying to get the best product for the least amount to work in our build. Our Willys project was never in a finished state as my brother’s idea was to get the whole thing built to our specifications and once running acceptable times and speeds, get it finally finished with paint and upholstery.

upload_2020-10-26_4-49-17.png
    Similar, but our 2nd version of the 283 SBC bored to 292 with blower spec speed parts.

Jnaki

upload_2020-10-26_4-49-50.png
    So, we were in the opposite. We wanted a finished project, complete with paint, upholstery and the additional mag wheels, etc. But, we settled on making it work well before we did the final steps. Our goal (U.S. Nationals) was approaching and we had jumped ahead to order the final touches (paint, upholstery, new mag wheels, new wider slicks, new Stick Hydro trans, etc.) to our completed 1940 Willys 671 SBC coupe. It was within a week of being completed and we were very proud of our work to this point. A couple of teenagers on their biggest project on a limited budget.
    upload_2020-10-26_4-50-25.png
    It was unfinished and we actually liked the way my brother steered the progress of the build. No regrets, unless wanting to compete in the U.S. Nationals and reach our goal of the C/Gas Class record.

26. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

For the last 40 years of my 50 years of building cars . every time I was able to finish one of my personal cars some dam fool offered me more money than I could turn down. So I don't know if I would have been disappointed or not! Funny thing is I have some project cars I would like to sell but nobody bites, but the ones I don't want to sell everybody wants. So I do not show any of them to anybody anymore! lol Larry

27. Let you know- paint in progress on the "Hillbilly"
    100_3924.JPG

Attached Files:

28. When I commented on a couple of scratches my buddy put on his almost new '78 Ford pick up while "off roading", he replied; "I didn't buy it to look at it".
    Never forgot that comment and try to keep the same mindset when driving my vehicles...

29. fabricator john

fabricator john
    from venice fl.

ha ha you said "finished & car " in a sentence ,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    fabricator john
    miss you dad

30. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've never had the 48 "finished" Painted twice and looking pretty decent but never what I'd call finished. It probably would be finished if I hadn't always been making changes though. Still, the last time I had it painted I left on a 2500 mile road trip with 34 miles on the odometer when I left the house.
    I've got a friend with a 70K + diesel 4x4 pickup that he took up in the woods the first week he owned it but is a total worry wart about his 55 Chevy that he finished over 25 years ago and maybe drives it three or four times a year. It's his "classic" and the truck is just a truck as far as he is concerned.

I'll probably have one of my former students paint my truck this time around as he turns out some nice paint work and have a local shop do the interior and then try to wear it out in the time I have left before the kids tell me I can't drive anymore.