Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Sectioned '39-'48 Fords

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50Fraud, Sep 21, 2012.

1. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I'm pleased to see this thread come back up. While there are really no new revelations in it, I'd like to add a couple of things that have appeared elsewhere on the HAMB that relate to this topic. So, just to have all this stuff in the same place...

There's a nice thread here:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232506
    ...that covers a nice, early, sectioned '40 convert that's very similar to the Jilek car. It has recently been shown as it nears the completion of a very good restoration:

[​IMG]

I hope we'll get to see that car in completed form soon.

Next, my own car hasn't appeared in this thread in its latest form. No surprises here, but I'm very happy that it's turning out according to plan:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and finally, a little digression: I saw this car elsewhere on the web, and it's really outside the scope of this thread because it's neither sectioned nor channeled. But, DAMN, it's a good looking '40 convert:

[​IMG]

Why include it here? Maybe just to show that there are many ways to skin a cat. This one, with only a chopped top and some surface customizing, has overcome all the faults of the stock '40 convert (except outward visibility, of course).

2. 32 hudson

32 hudson

This a picture of one done in this style in the early sixty's in Maine. The present location is unknown or if it even still exists. My buddy and myself have been looking for information on it.

Attached Files:

EVL401 likes this.
  3. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Looking really good Tony. I like the 47 Fords with slightly raised fenders?

4. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Here’s my 39 built in 57
    Chopped 4” sectioned 5”
    E57AF638-ED56-4D6F-B6AC-F4C6317B079C.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    EVL401 and gtrhotrod like this.
  5. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Wow, I had totally forgotten about this thread until Austinrod brought it back up today. It's been more than seven years since the last previous entry, and I never posted my car in finished form (never mind that it's been relentlessly exposed in numerous other threads). To correct this oversight, here's how the car looked by early spring 2017:
    !IMG_1566.jpeg 40-0400Hi.jpg PaulToler, 2017C.jpg
    That's how it's looking today, although it's back at Don Dillard's for an A/C install (BIG oversight on my part) and some cosmetic attention.

6. goldmountain

goldmountain

How about something a bit older? Scan-200609-0002.jpg

EVL401 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. Rand Man

Rand Man

These things are growing on me.

8. Rand Man

Rand Man

Here’s one that should be in this thread. Maybe it was. So many images are missing. I think it is well known, but I can’t remember the details. Any more photos?[​IMG]

lurker mick likes this.
  9. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Sadly this car was destroyed in one of California's many wild fires a couple of years ago.

10. Rand Man

Rand Man

Dang, maybe that’s one more reason to buy this one I have my eye on. I would like to see the front of that car, or any other photo. [​IMG]

Asphalt Demon and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

EVL401, williebill and chrisp like this.
  12. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG]

Took a little time to realize why this '40 looks so good. That butt ugly circus tent rear quarter of the top isn't there and it has quarter windows. Nicely done!

Bob

13. And it started as a coupe!

14. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Their was a 40 Ford that pretty much like the one in the picture except that it was painted blue, sitting next to a barn/garage (could see it from the road) on the road that runs from Portsmouth to Exeter in NH. Bad news is that was in the 70s, and the last time I took that road, several years ago, it was gone.

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

I didn't know that, makes the whole deal even better. Bob

16. 34Larry

34Larry

Not meaning to put anybody or any sectioned subject car down, but for me sectioned Fords of this vintage are out of proportion if not chopped also, at least a little.
    As a retired metal smith of 35 years I really appreciate the massive amount of engineering, cutting, welding, grinding and so on that it takes to section these works of art. I'd not even attempt to accomplish what a lot of you have built. Those that have need to be recognized for the massive amount of sweat equity, money and patience it takes to do this.

Stu D Baker likes this.
  17. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Does anyone know of a custom build where the stock body and hood were both cut and a strip of metal was added all around to make the body and hood appear taller than stock AND then the top was also chopped to get the proportion "just right"?

I guess you would call this the reverse of sectioning.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  18. redo32

redo32

19. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Why the ?????. This could be done to create a very nice looking custom.
    I know it seems strange but, it would work if tastefully done.
    I am sure.

20. redo32

redo32

How about posting a picture on the photoshop thread and ask for your modifications. I sure can't see it in my imagination.

21. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Fixing the awkward-looking stock '40 top was the inspiration for this whole project. Thanks for the nice words!

22. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Having only chopped and channel one car and that was all flat glass, I am thinking of performing a section cut and weld on a 53 Chrysler sometime in the future. I would almost want to cut, form, and weld metal rather than cutting a curve windshield.