Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford 260CI Flexplate

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by captaintaytay, Aug 6, 2020.

1. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

Like small displacement mass produced 'putt-putt' engines it probably didn't warrant a damper.
    Like brake rotors, checking of the material is fine. But a single long crack is trouble.

warhorseracing likes this.
  2. Turns out I had to take back my car because of trans was leaking. They had it for a month.
    The trans case was cracked. they replaced it at N/C and it vibrates still, seems to be worse now.

I read somewhere that the crank pulley can also cause balance issues. IDK
    It seems to me that something is wrong inside the motor.
    I'm lost at this point, thinking of selling it, maybe for parts.

3. I mentioned that a few pages back and even circled on the picture of what the problem area could be. Did you ever look at and take off the crank pulley and check the harmonic balancer?

4. Yes I saw where you circled the picture. I thought you were referring to the harmonic balancer.
    Were you referring to the pulley or balancer?
    Since then I have put 2 new harmonic balancers on, they were cheap ones, "Dorman"
    I returned both of them and bought a different brand that also cost some more.

Have not installed it yet, I thought maybe the pulley might be the issue, but probably not, (to simple):D

5. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

At this point if I likes the car and has the trans out I would take the motor out and take it to a reputable machine shop and have the rotating assembly balanced.

6. Okay, can a heavy steel 3 grove cranksfaft pulley and a aluminum fan contribute to a motor vibration/unbalance?
    I was thinking of possibly putting on a single grove steel pulley and stock fan back on.

This is the last resort as I will be pulling the motor out if it doesn't solve the issue.

7. sdluck

sdluck

Run it without them and see if it vibrates.

partssaloon and captaintaytay like this.
  8. Okay, but being that the pulley bolts up to the damper, removing the pulley it would seem
    to me it could still not be balanced. Don't they work in unison?

9. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Just remove the fan, not the pulley. The balance weights are on the damper, not the pulley.
    Unless the pulley has a large chunk missing, it won't affect balance.

The pulley on the wife's Honda has a fair size chunk out of it, and there is no noticeable vibration in that engine, so even that apparently is an insignificant issue.

captaintaytay likes this.
  10. So someone I know has a running 260 motor and is willing to give it to me if I pull it out.
    It has a manual transmission.

My question is, will their be a problem bolting up my C4 to it?
    I know I have to remove the flywheel.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. I'm starting to wonder if there isn't some mismatched parts internally on your motor that's thrown the balance off. That could explain the 'altered' flexplate you found as an attempt to fix it.

As to whether another 260 will bolt up, it should by using your existing parts.

12. Actually the vibration was bad before the transmission rebuild and now its worse.
    I had tried everything and it seems like a internal motor problem to me also.
    So I think I'm going to pull out this other 260 and see what happens.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  13. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

The engine side motor mount spacing changed from 6" to 7" during the 260 production life, so that may be an issue.

There is a plate between the mount and the engine to match the engine, so make sure to get it and that should solve the issue, if it comes up.

I would also grab the motor mounts for spares, if he lets you.

14. That is very. interesting Beanscoot, so without the proper plate this can cause the vibration?
    Are they spacer plates to keep the motor at a proper angel?

I need to find a picture of these plates to get an idea of what's going on.

15. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

No, the wrong plates shouldn't cause vibration, but would only allow one bolt on each side of the engine to be used on the mount.
    The early small blocks (all 221 and early 260) had a spacing of 6" between the bolts on either side of the engine. One of the bolt holes was moved one inch forwards or backwards a couple years into production, resulting in a 7" spacing.
    There is a steel plate that bolts to this that in turn bolts to the top of the motor mount, so you need to have the correct steel plate. But any engine installed in a chassis will have the plate on it.

Well this is construction on the Fairlanes, anyway. I don't know if it is the same on other Fords.

16. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Confirm that the motor mount is not broken.
    I had a 64 Falcon w 260 that was hit in the rear quarter/LR tire. Got the repaired car back from body and paint, then discovered coming off idle in drive, the car would lurch forward as if I was flooring it. As soon as I let off the gas pedal, it would return to idle.
    After much digging, discover a broken drivers side motor mount (from the impact to the rear end!). At your 1500 or so, the engine would lift off the motor mount from the torque which yanked the accelerator linkage!
    Back to the shop it went, lol.

17. Eddie

Eddie
    from Georgia

From the looks of that last HB picture, it appears that the keyway is "wallered" out. This might just be an illusion, but if correct in conjunction with the silicone to stop oil leakage and the fact you could merely slide a HB on tells me that's your problem. I would loosen all belts, as well as the crankshaft bolt and see if the whole assembly can be rocked left to right, up and down 90 degrees to crank centerline. Also try turning assembly clockwise vs counter clockwise. This would have been better done with the original HB, but worth a try. If any slop is detected, even minute, then crankshaft is worn.

18. greybeard360

greybeard360

Without going back thru this thread again.... Have you checked see if it is firing on all cylinders? Some peoples description of vibration can actually be a misfire or dead cylinder or two or three.

Steve Ray and Beanscoot like this.
  19. Rick wagon

Rick wagon

I have 1963 mercury meteor custom wagon with the 260 and 2 speed merc o matic that needs a Flexplate. The number off the flex is
    F0p-c30e-6375-a-assy and as I can tell is a 1963 fairlane260 Flexplate. Mine is a 160 tooth but I have to drop the trans to see if it’s the 10 or 13” size and also measure the torque bolt spacing. If anyone has any info on one, I def need it. I’m in Santa Barbara California. Thank you.

20. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

Also there are two different firing orders, the 260/289/302 and the 351W/5.0.