Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects How Many Different Vehicle's Parts In Your Hot Rod / Custom?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by -Brent-, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Budget36

Budget36

I comprehend just fine.

So tell us more about your book bought car. I’m sure I’m not the only curious one.

Or did you....never mind. You’re just too good.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. coupe man

coupe man

Parts came from about 27 different cars.Mostly gm.Sorry Mopar guys.

-Brent- likes this.
  3. BLACK STUDE

BLACK STUDE

DSC_0319.JPG 18960~2.jpeg 55' Studebaker Champion.
    8 3/4 rear, springs and mounts from a 69' road runner
    68 mustang front disc rotors
    80's gm metric calipers
    73' 455 Buick motor (703hp/622tq)
    68' turbo 400 trans from a Riviera
    61' Studebaker 12 volt wiper motor.
    Sport wheel off 73 Buick with 55' stude horn button
    69 chevy truck master cylinder.
    Had a 65 pontiac radiator for years. (now aluminum)
    Custom 10 pt. cage from art morrison.
    Front half of frame from 6 cyl. stude, rear half from v8 stude.
    57' stude front bumper.
    headers, motor mounts, trans mount, altered wheelbase work, brake pedal and master cyl on firewall all built by me over the last 23 yrs. The hood scoop is even steel fabricated by me from flat sheet and muffler pipe. Not much aftermarket support for a 55' stude. But it has been fun. I'd do it again in a heart beat.

4. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

When I started with my 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery, there was a 348 Chevy motor and 3 speed LaSalle transmission. Everything else was completely stock. The former owner pulled out the Flathead and dropped in the 348 motor. Boy, did it sound great. For the next 5 years, I drove it with a stock Flathead motor and the LaSalle. So, the only thing different was the LaSalle transmission.

upload_2020-11-18_4-26-52.png
    I really wanted that 348 motor in the sedan delivery, but the owner was asking too much and I was the only one wanting that sedan delivery. Most of the teenagers thought it was a different looking Helms Bakery Truck or their plumber’s van that was fast.

Then 6 years later, my wife and I came across a 327 powered 40 Ford Sedan Delivery that had some problems with braking and handling, so the cost was within our range and we bought it. It took some time, an expert wheel/brake/alignment guy to get the whole cars to point straight and drive well. Now, the 327, A/C from an old 60s Chevy modified, a Chevy rear end, brakes and transmission. A custom radiator and York Compressor was also part of the package. Bucket seats from a Triumph or Austin Healy, fully upholstered from cabin to the hollow, quiet, sound chamber in the back. I added some small smooth hubcaps and beauty trim rings, too. The sedan delivery looked like my first hot rod back in high school, except for a true red-orange paint job.

Jnaki

We also cannot forget the Moon four bar steering wheel. It took some time to get the whole package running and handling correctly, but in 1000s of miles of So Cal cruising, not one thing stopped the sedan delivery from getting to and from our destination. We even drove it to my wife’s brother’s wedding as it was the only car we had with A/C for the summer. We all know A/C is necessary to arrive in comfort and on time, especially since I was going to take some photos from every angle in the church. The photo equipment fit nicely in the back hollow chamber.

We got out in 100 plus heat, from this strange red/orange vehicle. People looked at us like we arrived from outer space in the Red/Orange 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery. It was the only hot rod in the vast parking lot of big 4 door sedans. But, at least we arrived in cool comfort and ON TIME.

upload_2020-11-18_4-35-9.png

5. My old touring had a ton, the best though was the vintage ribbed YZ piggyback shocks converted from coil over to just dampers for the rear T spring

-Brent- likes this.
  6. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll just cover the Studebaker in the Avatar
    • 53 Stude body/title:)
    • 58 Hawk Frame, suspension rear end
    • 61 Hawk Trunk lid
    • 59 Hawk for misc parts
    • OMC 5.7 litre v8 (actually an 88 Chev 350)
    • 700 R4 out of???? came with the OMC motor as part of a deal
    • 2014 Mercury Milan interior (not period correct but very comfortable)
    • Mopar and Ford wheels from YouPullit in Omaha
    • GM Distributor that was in my 38 Chevy as was the Edlebrock carburetor
    • Lots of metal from Classic Enterprises............Studes are rust magnets:( Yeah I know that's new stuff.... but
    • it took a lot of new stuff to fix it up:)
    It took 3.5 years to get from the Avatar to the Atlantic IA Airport to race

IMG_0491.JPG

chryslerfan55, das858 and -Brent- like this.
  7. wisdonm

wisdonm

My '68/69 Intermeccanica Italia is one of about 500 made in Turin, Italy. They were sold under five different names. In order they were Griffith 600, Omega, GF-X, Torino, and finally Italia. All the bodies and frames were made in Italy in steel. The Griffith had it's powertrain installed by Griffith on Long Island. The Omega's had their powertrains installed by Hollman and Moody in Charlotte. The rest were totally manufactured in Turin, Italy with the high performance Ford small block of it's time.

There are no factory manuals, but the Intermeccanica Owners Club put together a booklet with as many sources as they could find. As from the factory they found parts from over 35 different cars and there are many more unknown sources to be found. I myself am looking for a turn signal assembly. It appears to be made by the same company as those on Ferrari's, but no one has found a match. (cir. '66).

Even though some sources can be found they are still rare. Some of the sources are:

Ferrari
    Alfa-Romeo
    Lamborghini
    Maserati
    Fiat
    Citroen
    Peugeot
    Jaguar
    Ford
    Plymouth
    Buick
    and others.

I have always been proud that we have not discovered an VW parts and to a lesser degree Chevy.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. Lemme see, Plymouth Volare front end, OT GM van steering column, OT GM pickup seat and a partridge in a pear tree.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Illustrious Hector

Illustrious Hector

Johnny Cash got nothin' on we'uns!

-Brent- likes this.